Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Celtic and Rangers join an ENGLISH league?

Should Rangers and Celtic be allowed to join an ENGLISH league?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 93 85.3%
  • Ohhh, stick those splinters up my passage

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OK, sad git that I am I have to admit to watching 'You're On Sky Sports' at odd times and one was this week. The big debate on there was if Celtic and Rangers should be allowed to join the Premiership.

For me it's an unqualified no. Someone on the show used the argument that it would lead to a Great Britain national team rather than 4 separate ones but I don't buy that - after all Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham playing here hasn't lead to that. No, the reason I'm against it is simply the complication of where they would start. They could not just walk in to the Premiership for me, they would have to work their way up but even then if they started in League 2 it ould disadvantage 2 Conference teams. You could just expand the Prem to 22 teams but that is 4 extra games to fit in to an already overcrowed schedule for our top players.

All in all the logistics would be a nightmare to facilitate what is in effect special treatment for teams that already have a competition for me. But what's NSC's view?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I'd say no as well, it would wreak Scotlands International team as well if their 2 best teams had no national identity !!!

Oct 25, 2003
(it's not an english league)

but yeah, i disagree with them joining for purely the same reasons as you, yes, it may benefit the prem in the long run, but it would disadvantage two teams, with just isn't FAIR

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
No.

Or at least if they want to they need to start in the conference North and work their way up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Only if they increased the Prem to 22 teams so noone misses out. And only for comedy value of watching them end up in the Championship. Quite fancy an awayday to Ibrox or Parkhead.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Voroshilov said:
we don't need Rangers and their bigoted neanderthal following.

But those angels from Celtic would be more than welcome.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Commander said:
Only if they increased the Prem to 22 teams so noone misses out. And only for comedy value of watching them end up in the Championship. Quite fancy an awayday to Ibrox or Parkhead.

They would NEVER end up in the championship so don't get to excited about your away day :)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It would also potentially mean less Champions League spots for the current Prem teams so I think if it were to go to a vote it would be a resounding NO.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sure, as long as they'll start in the Conference North. I think their grounds will pass inspection.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
jonny.rainbow said:
It would also potentially mean less Champions League spots for the current Prem teams so I think if it were to go to a vote it would be a resounding NO.

If they played in the English league they would not be allowed to take up English spots in European Competition as they are not full members of our FA, I think.

I know that Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport cannot play in the UEFA Cup in the win the Welsh Cup as they are tied up with 2 FA's and I think the same would happen with the Scottish teams.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Sure, as long as they'll start in the Conference North. I think their grounds will pass inspection.
Why should they get a bye to that level?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
If they played in the English league they would not be allowed to take up English spots in European Competition as they are not full members of our FA, I think.

I know that Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport cannot play in the UEFA Cup in the win the Welsh Cup as they are tied up with 2 FA's and I think the same would happen with the Scottish teams.

So how would they qualify for the Champions League then?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ultimately I think YES, but there has yet to be a serious suggestion from the authorities as to how to do this in a fair manner.

The Premiership now is, essentially, a 3-horse race. Each year there seem to be fewer and fewer teams able to take points off the top clubs.

I think Celtic and Rangers would make the Premiership a more open and interesting spectacle, but it would need to be part of a bigger shake-up in British football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here