Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings at Pulse nightclub in Orlando

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That was a load of misinformation right there.

A few? There are thousands of cases where being armed has helped in the self defence of a registered gun owners property/safety.

You're not suggesting an individual shooting is considered a statistic for "mass murder" are you?

What happened in Orlando was mass murder. A gang banger getting shot in an alley is not a statistic for "mass murder".

The Orlando incident was the biggest mass murder in US history and had nothing to do with US gun laws and everything to do with fundamentalist Islam.

Whereas Sandy Hook was just a bit of collateral damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Of course it happened.

The folly is that thinking if all guns were banned in the USA such things wouldn't happen.

There's a hell of a lot more reasons for such shootings than "guns".

If the children had guns then the mass killer probably would have stayed at home that day as the children would have been able to shoot back.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
716ff37298817c2215d320e5e37a5941.jpg

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If the teachers had them perhaps he'd have copped a chest full of lead.

If the kids had guns then he would have copped a chest full of lead before he got anywhere near a teacher, if the children carried assault rifles less people, if any, would have died that day.

Its a shame people don't appreciate how much protection guns provide.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And why is that?

Because it doesn't suit your views? It's a factual statistic. But go on, dispute it.

Here's another statistic.

USA, with the gun laws you celebrate, 13,286 gun related deaths in 2015.

UK, with strict gun laws, 44 gun deaths in 2015.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wonder if the killer's father is going to write a letter similar to that of the Stanford University rapist?

"Don't condemn my son for twenty minutes of action"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wonder if the killer's father is going to write a letter similar to that of the Stanford University rapist?

"Don't condemn my son for twenty minutes of action"

Well...he's already said religion had nothing to do with it despite growing evidence to the contrary.

Guns definitely played a huge part in this and so did the religion. Would you agree?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's a hell of a lot more reasons for such shootings than "guns".
Not really. If guns weren't so readily at hand, gun crime would be drastically reduced.

Wyoming, Alaska and Montana are the three highest % gun owning states in the US. Three states not associated with mass shootings.
But here, I agree with you. In fact, I think your point is a little confused but a good one. The gun laws in the US are not dramatically different from those in Canada, or even in some EU states such as Belgium. The difference is one of culture. There are not gun stores on the street corners of most black neighbourhoods in other countries because the demand isn't there. You have to ask that whilst a country insists on the right to bear arms, why should that mean everyone should actually own one. The US would be better served having a debate about how it views guns IMO.

I think a parallel can be drawn with British culture of excessive drinking. Our drink laws aren't noticeably different from those in other European countries where there isn't a culture of drinking 15 pints on a Friday evening which of course causes all manner of problems. So why has our culture morphed into this where others haven't?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Here's another statistic.

USA, with the gun laws you celebrate, 13,286 gun related deaths in 2015.

UK, with strict gun laws, 44 gun deaths in 2015.

I don't celebrate them, I accept your culture is nothing like there's in how the nation came to be however. That's why comparing your two nations is plain stupid.

They have a frontier history where by guns played a huge part in peoples daily lives and their ability to survive and forge their nations borders and identity.

Your culture was one where by the people were for thousands of years oppressed by monarchs and their military and never had the chance to forge their own nation, nor faced the dangers the pioneers in the fledgling US faced.

You had little need for guns, they had a big reason to own them.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
...so easy access to an assault weapon had nothing to do with it?

I think the American national psyche has far more to do with it than access to weapons , I think Canada has equally high levels of gun ownership( happy to be corrected) and countries like switzerland and Israel have easy access to automatic weapons and whilst I think there have been mass shootings in all the countries mentioned , they've happened with far less frequency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here