NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
John Oliver's take of Paris

NSFW

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK:-

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
According to French newspaper 20 Minutes, a police officer opened fire earlier this afternoon in central Paris.

The newspaper reports that one person is seriously injured and the area has been cordoned off by police.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have absolutely no view on what the solution is, which probably is the only thing I have in common with the most leaders in the Western World.

That's frustrating because of course I feel the need to scream from the roof tops about the killing of innocent lives.

So what I tend to is buy a book to at least understand someone else's view on how we got here. To at least try and form an opinion when someone in charge makes one, especially when we put them under pressure to make one quickly.

I done this loads of times in the past and have quite a collection now, which I don't place alongside each other in case I get interpreted as a nut job.

Books on the far right, books on Saddam ( bought after the first Gulf war), books on Bin Laden, The Taliban etc..

Just started a book on ISIS.

This one (same names crop up) is obviously complicated and appears to be as much as a "civil war" within a religion as much as the West interfering. Wierd alliances, certain groups and certain governments forming odd alliances with their natural enemies that backfire. Both the "left" and the "right" in the West disagreeing within themselves whether to intervene or not using the same ideology but interpreting it different. A revolution that went wrong ? Sounds familiar to a book I read on Iran. To stereotype that as just a group of religious fanatics who took over the country is quite wrong.

So depressingly, no real view point all. I definately don't subscribe to the opinion that it's all modern America and the UK's (present and colonial past) fault. Although on Iran I'd have a different opinion.

Just thoughts - beyond it's probably a good idea to "close" the borders within Europe at the moment which is a completely different thing from coming out of Europe. Some countries did it months ago.

The fact it's currently quite easy to transport automatic weapons around the continent without walking through more than one security check probably didn't help France.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Turned on CNN about half-an-hour ago and two Air France flights from the US to Paris had been diverted and landed in Salt Lake City and Nova Scotia. There was also breaking news of gunfire from an apparent police raid in Saint-Denis.

Looked on the internet and someone was broadcasting live on Periscope from where the raid was taking place (I have never used Periscope before, didn't really know what it was). He turned the picture off but was broadcasting audio, with gunshots and shouting going on periodically. Some people were urging him to open the window, open the curtains etc :nono::nono:

What's that saying about the revolution will be televised....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
M
Turned on CNN about half-an-hour ago and two Air France flights from the US to Paris had been diverted and landed in Salt Lake City and Nova Scotia. There was also breaking news of gunfire from an apparent police raid in Saint-Denis.

Looked on the internet and someone was broadcasting live on Periscope from where the raid was taking place (I have never used Periscope before, didn't really know what it was). He turned the picture off but was broadcasting audio, with gunshots and shouting going on periodically. Some people were urging him to open the window, open the curtains etc :nono::nono:

What's that saying about the revolution will be televised....

It's on Breakfast News at the moment. The raid started at 4.30 am but has resulted in prolonged gunfire.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
From BBC

Reports on French TV say that a woman in the building had a suicide belt and has blown herself up. The reports are still unconfirmed.

At least seven explosions have been heard since early on Wednesday morning at the scene of a police standoff in Saint Denis, AP reports.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Some ignorance in the reporting as current BBC journo harping on about surprise to local residents in St Denis that this is happening on their doorstep...

A very small amount of research would tell them that this area has traditionally been a hotbed of anti establishment sentiment and heavily populated by second generation North African French many of whom are Muslim.

If they can't research properly then they shouldn't say anything at all.

D

Deleted member 22389

The video makes sense, but it's so much more than this. May be we need to go back and look at how some of our cities and towns have been allowed to change over the years, not just in this country but across the EU, where this evil mindset has been allowed to grow. May be the people in charge shouldn't have been so politically correct over the years, putting the security of our countries, our own cultures below that of people who held and still hold more hard line, conservative and extremist views of their own religion because this still is a big part of the problem.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
May be the people in charge shouldn't have been so politically correct over the years, putting the security of our countries, our own cultures below that of people who held and still hold more hard line, conservative and extremist views of their own religion because this still is a big part of the problem.

There is no may be about it unfortunately.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The video makes sense, but it's so much more than this. May be we need to go back and look at how some of our cities and towns have been allowed to change over the years, not just in this country but across the EU, where this evil mindset has been allowed to grow. May be the people in charge shouldn't have been so politically correct over the years, putting the security of our countries, our own cultures below that of people who held and still hold more hard line, conservative and extremist views of their own religion because this still is a big part of the problem.

Absolutely. I am not totally certain of the point of such videos is - the thrust is that not all muslims should be blamed for the atrocities, and it hardly needs reinforcing, as I have never seen any post which would claim otherwise. Of course they are the actions of a lunatic minority, though the size of that presumably larger minority who might at least sympathise with the aims if not the methods, is debatable. If the chanting by what appears to be thousands of Turkish fans, is what I suspect it is, then that is worrying. I am sure that you are right in that Western democracies have, at least in our perspective, bent over backwards to accommodate the minorities in our midst, and the extremist element has regarded this as weakness, albeit by their warped logic. Yet, it is ironic that the background of the terrorists in France seems to have a common theme - they claim to be discriminated against and feel marginalised by mainstream French society, turning to petty crime and then radical religion, as the extremists see fair game. Doubtless some of this will be their own fault, as I am sure there are also plenty of examples of others from immigrant communities who have gone on to make magnificent contributions. Possibly it is just the problem with uncontrolled mass immigration, where the host country simply cannot cope with a huge influx.

I have often wondered where the comment that more muslims have suffered than those in western democracies (won't say Christian countries as that might be labelled as wacist . . . ) comes into the equation. I don't doubt the veracity of the statement for one moment, and the horrors that have been inflicted on innocent folk in, say Lebanon, and of course it puts the attacks last Friday into perspective, just wonder about the relevance. I doubt very much that grieving relatives will find any consolation in that, or wonder what that has to do with them. If your house had been burgled, say, and the Police turn up and tell you that the estate down the road suffers far more from burglary than your road does, would you see that as relevant in your case, or even welcome such a statement. Just a thought.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Some ignorance in the reporting as current BBC journo harping on about surprise to local residents in St Denis that this is happening on their doorstep...

A very small amount of research would tell them that this area has traditionally been a hotbed of anti establishment sentiment and heavily populated by second generation North African French many of whom are Muslim.

If they can't research properly then they shouldn't say anything at all.

I think they knew, its just a continuation of the 'dont implicate an Islamic dimension' on any Islamist issues !!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

That's the lovely fluffy pap that social media loves. We are just like you ...

Pakistani Public Opinion

265-6.gif

http://www.pewglobal.org/2009/08/13/pakistani-public-opinion/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here