Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shola ameobi

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
FWIW, I've "followed" (as distinct from "supported") Newcastle for the past 20+ years, having grown up in Newcastle and with a sister and flatmate who are both lifelong toon fans. I would be surprised but extremely chuffed if he came to the Albion.

When he was younger, I always had him down as a poor man's Bobby Z - especially when he was often inexplicably picked ahead of Bobby for England U21s. Talented, but no close control, average finisher and too easily knocked off the ball. But over the past few years, he's built up his strength - to the point that he's now an absolute beast - and turned himself into exactly the kind of hold-up striker that we need to support CMS (assuming he stays).

His finishing and close control have also improved out of sight. Overall scoring record looks average, but bear in mind he's more often than not been on the bench, as he was never going to displace Shearer, Carroll, Cisse etc. Newcastle fans will always love him for his 100% commitment and welcome tendency to score against S*nderland, but they wouldn't be too gutted if he left, as they'd expect the club to set its sights higher after the season they've just had.

My dad (a Newcastle-based Albion fan) has spent the summer telling me we should sign Shola, and I've spent the summer telling him yes he'd be ideal, but that we've got no chance. I don't have any reason to think that we suddenly do have a chance, but I'd be chuffed to bits if it did happen. I suspect Newcastle would sell at the right price - would fit in with their wider transfer policy of buying young, cheap and foreign, and selling more established players to free up cash - but am doubtful whether Shola would be too keen to move so far south - like Steve Harper before him, he's Newcastle through and through and would find it a wrench to move to a city 350 miles away, especially if it meant dropping a division.

If it really is on the cards though, no doubt KLL will be nagging him to come down and get on the end of a few of his crosses.

(Looking back, that's a lot of words to devote to a random twitter rumour. So I'll shut up now.)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
FWIW, I've "followed" (as distinct from "supported") Newcastle for the past 20+ years, having grown up in Newcastle and with a sister and flatmate who are both lifelong toon fans. I would be surprised but extremely chuffed if he came to the Albion.

When he was younger, I always had him down as a poor man's Bobby Z - especially when he was often inexplicably picked ahead of Bobby for England U21s. Talented, but no close control, average finisher and too easily knocked off the ball. But over the past few years, he's built up his strength - to the point that he's now an absolute beast - and turned himself into exactly the kind of hold-up striker that we need to support CMS (assuming he stays).

His finishing and close control have also improved out of sight. Overall scoring record looks average, but bear in mind he's more often than not been on the bench, as he was never going to displace Shearer, Carroll, Cisse etc. Newcastle fans will always love him for his 100% commitment and welcome tendency to score against S*nderland, but they wouldn't be too gutted if he left, as they'd expect the club to set its sights higher after the season they've just had.

My dad (a Newcastle-based Albion fan) has spent the summer telling me we should sign Shola, and I've spent the summer telling him yes he'd be ideal, but that we've got no chance. I don't have any reason to think that we suddenly do have a chance, but I'd be chuffed to bits if it did happen. I suspect Newcastle would sell at the right price - would fit in with their wider transfer policy of buying young, cheap and foreign, and selling more established players to free up cash - but am doubtful whether Shola would be too keen to move so far south - like Steve Harper before him, he's Newcastle through and through and would find it a wrench to move to a city 350 miles away, especially if it meant dropping a division.

If it really is on the cards though, no doubt KLL will be nagging him to come down and get on the end of a few of his crosses.

(Looking back, that's a lot of words to devote to a random twitter rumour. So I'll shut up now.)

Whether it is a twitter rumour or not, it is good to have some relatively informed and considered stuff on here from someone who has taken an interest in the player and his develpment, rather than the normal "He's rubbish" or "he's great"
I have a colleague in a wider sense who lives in Newcastle almost opposit Mr Ameobi. I know his children and their friends think he is great, and people do seem to rate him - but not as highly as Shearer or Carroll... but then we are not in that league in terms of players.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Whether it is a twitter rumour or not, it is good to have some relatively informed and considered stuff on here from someone who has taken an interest in the player and his develpment, rather than the normal "He's rubbish" or "he's great"
I have a colleague in a wider sense who lives in Newcastle almost opposit Mr Ameobi. I know his children and their friends think he is great, and people do seem to rate him - but not as highly as Shearer or Carroll... but then we are not in that league in terms of players.

Saved me the effort. Thanks

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Ironically, when playing against us last season i thought he definitely fitted the profile of the striker to support and get the best out of CMS. Good in the air and physical but crucially no donkey with the ball at his feet. However, whether he would want the move and whether we are prepared to shell out the fee may be the real obstacles.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Shola Ameobi has The Indian Sign over Sunderland. If his overall record career had come anywhere near his goalscoring record against us he'd have been a bigger legend than Shearer.
It hasn't, and he's always been decidedly average when he's not playing in a derby match.
I'll be disappointed if he's the big striker signing for you, though I'll hope he's successful; and at least I'll never have to watch him scoring at The SOL in a toon shirt again.

He loves a goal against you lot like. :lolol:

I think Shola would be a good signing for Brighton, his overall career record is not great to say the least but he is capable of glimpses of class (i.e his goal in the Nou Camp!). When we were in the Championship he was quality, scored a decent amount of goals despite being injured and would've got more than Carroll had he played each week. He is also one of the best penalty takers I've ever seen.

Despite that though I can't see this move happening, Pardiola absolutely loves Shola, sings his praises at every opportunity and he is third in the pecking order here, other than him we only have Ba and Cisse. So nah, even if we got Carroll (which will 99% not happen imo) I can't see it happening.

EDIT: Just read the post at the top of the page, very good post and I agree with all of it, he would be a quality parnet for CMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjtgHTPNPQ&feature=related

Proper cult hero Shola. :D

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Carroll going to West Ham according to SSN - that, combined with the seemingly increasing likelihood of us going for Bothroyd to play the Shola-type role, would suggest that this won't be happening now. If it was ever happening, which it probably wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here