Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt Lifters

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
Stupid rule anyway, players can celebrate how they like.

That said, I'd rather a player didn't start stripping after scoring......rather they did Gangnam Style (Haven't seen any player do this as a celebration yet).

About four players did it in separate games on Saturday, and the West Indies cricket team also did it!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think it's acceptable in certain circumstances. Aguero took his shirt off after that late goal to grab the title last season...

Having to book players for taking their shirts off after scoring a goal is a completely ridiculous rule anyway.

Disagree completely. why does a player take his shirt, what's the purpose & thinking behind it, it completely Ridiculous.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Shirt removal has always puzzled me. It seems to show not respect or love for your club....If I had been lucky enough to play for the Albion you would have had to fight me to get it off my back.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
If your buff you wanna show your six pack off ...I do it all the time in the office! after I make a sale I run around the office topless

Being well hung, I get my chopper out whenever a student gets full marks on their homework.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Didn't Fran Sandaza take his shirt off a couple of times ?

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
As they know it's a booking then it's stupid to get booked for doing it. But at the same time it's a stupid rule - one of the best (non Albion) moments of recent years is Giggs goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi final, made all the better by the length of the pitch shirt waving chest rug display that followed it. Pure passion and euphoria.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
ISTR reading that the FA doesn't want players to remove their shirts, as a bare chest can cause offence in some middle eastern countries where their product is sold. Commerciality rears its ugly head once again. FFS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I understood that UEFA banned it because it would mean sponsors logos would not be seen at a high visibility time. it's all about commerciality!

ISTR reading that the FA doesn't want players to remove their shirts, as a bare chest can cause offence in some middle eastern countries where their product is sold. Commerciality rears its ugly head once again. FFS.

not true. the rule came in across the world after a spate of politcal slogans being shown on undershirts in the 90's, in particular in Italy but i recall also Fowler here supporting dockers. the rule had been a ban on political slogans with a fine, but they of course could just be paid easily by the wealthy footballers, so they added the card.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Now that's much better !!

Attachments

• dl.jpg
    dl.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 83

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I understood Fowler's reasons, and Ian Wright beating the record when he hadn't, but it took a turn for the pompous when Terry Henry scored, showed a cryptic message under his shirt and when asked what it meant, said it was a private message.

A private message shown to millions? Dick.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's a page from the book of American Football. They've had problems for many years with excessive celebrations causing delays, starting brawls, etc and so they introduced a ban on all touchdown celebrations (involving multiple players). A step too far as the NFL became known as the No Fun League.

The celebrations are part of what makes sport entertaining and providing you are not deliberately provoking opposition fans/players then anything that would be legal on the street and doesn't delay the restart should be allowed (and to my mind encouraged!). My son spends more time learning the goal celebration moves on FIFA than he does learning to score!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Elaborate goal celebrations are juvenile, anyway...

It may be my perception, but are referees consistant in booking players who take off their shirt? Perhaps that adds to the practise if they expect to get away with it.

Did not Dean Cox get sent off after celebrating his debut goal for Albion? I read that he left the field of play, but did not know that you were not allowed to to that !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did not Dean Cox get sent off after celebrating his debut goal for Albion? I read that he left the field of play, but did not know that you were not allowed to to that !

It wasn't his goal, but he did get sent off. It was away to Rotherham. Cox had already been booked, for a foul, when Alex Revell scored the only goal of the game. Cox (and others) bundled against the Albion fans behind the goal, Cox got a second yellow, and was off.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Im not saying nothing !

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I don't actually agree. I think a lot of players when they score are feeling EUPHORIC, and pretty untouchable. Take your shirt off, absolute FREEDOM. Great times. Rule needs to be binned, it's retarded.

Completely agree. As the rule is there I can't help but cringe whenever players do it (Leroy Lita is particularly bad as I recall) unless in exceptional circumstances (Aguero). But the rule shouldn't be there anyway. Makes me laugh when people describe people as stupid when taking their shirts off. "Oh. I appear to have scored. There are thousands of people shouting my name. Jolly good".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here