Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt Lifters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not true.

This was a great sporting moment.

andrew-flintoff2_1717764c.jpg

That was in response to getting stick for being a bit of a fat lad. A bit like when Ginola flexed his physique at Spurs after similar comments, and perhaps even Vicente's was about showing how hard he'd worked .... but generally, it's a very odd reaction. It is not making a point other than "look at me". Hmm, you've just scored fella, the camera IS already looking at you!

I find it a very strange celebration that footballers feel compelled to do, even knowing they will get a booking for it.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I don't actually agree. I think a lot of players when they score are feeling EUPHORIC, and pretty untouchable. Take your shirt off, absolute FREEDOM. Great times. Rule needs to be binned, it's retarded.

It is a stupid rule but it's there. Even players of limited intelligence should be able to grasp it.
It could mean missing vital games.
Having said that I'd allow Dobbie one indiscretion just to get him off the mark.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Did no players prior to about 1998 ever feel EUPHORIC when they scored then?

Indeed. I think it's fair to say that Marco Tardelli was ever so slightly happy when he scored in the World Cup Final, but I don't remember him feeling the need to remove his shirt.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree, I also think its a ridiculous rule in the first place.

Don't get me wrong - so do I. I just think the players should control themselves, rather than falling foul of it. Its terribly SELF-INDULGENT.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I understood that UEFA banned it because it would mean sponsors logos would not be seen at a high visibility time. it's all about commerciality!

I don't belive that is actually true. I think it was more a progression from the concerns about revealing messages, etc on t-shirts underneath.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It's also a yellow card for using tobacco or tobacco products in any form in the area of the field.

So topless smoking is a straight red.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If your buff you wanna show your six pack off ...I do it all the time in the office! after I make a sale I run around the office topless

I did it on site the other day when I successfully hung a door........ The brickies where squealing..... They loved it.

D

Deleted member 18477

Not true.

This was a great sporting moment.

andrew-flintoff2_1717764c.jpg

Freddie was always the man! Gutted his knees went! Our most feared bowler for a long time! Absolute animal!

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Stupid rule anyway, players can celebrate how they like.

That said, I'd rather a player didn't start stripping after scoring......rather they did Gangnam Style (Haven't seen any player do this as a celebration yet).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here