Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nice report, very measured.

Personally I thought the 4th was offside. We did feel however that Llera (the chap withthe protective headwear?) was lucky not to be sent off and when discussing it we thought he was possibly one of the worst centre-halves seen at the Amex - mainly from a distribution perspective.

I quite like Wednesday and the support in terms of numbers was excellent. Didn't see or hear the Blade 'bounce' chant?

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
We can compete with Sheffield Wednesday on even terms. Their history is like an albatross. What we could not compete with on even terms would be a combined Sheffield side.

With the TV money making some a high proportion of the income, even the smaller clubs like Wigan can have an extended stay in the Premiership.

What I see is the clubs from Lancashire being reduced in number and the soutern clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Cardiff staying up if they can get up in the first place.

What they do NOT know in Sheffield is that Brighton is not a prosperous area so we cannot up the entrance fees too much. Reading on the other hand is a prosperous area so they might be able to survive at least as well as Blackburn.

From next season, clubs will have to live within their means. This might mean the Chmpionship this year will be the toughest yet. Overspenders on wages might be in trouble especially if they have older players like Leicester, if they do not get promoted.

I like Championship football, but the better players get poached, and the southern teams are going to be there in the Premier (some of them) so we want to be with them. But, also, we want to ready for the higher division. I think the idea is to get the basis of the squad and try and get four better players when we go up. We have young players that could get better.

The millstone around Albion's neck has always been the ground (not any more) since at least 1971.

Be careful what you wish for matey....we all want to see our teams at the highest level and my daughter has only seen that briefly as we made our exit...I've promised her one season if/when we ever make it there and then I'm out, if we stayed up...

The Premier League is all that's wrong with football IMO and the Championship is exactly where it's at...I love The Football League and have enjoyed all the turbulent moments we've had in it, they'll stay with me far longer than any Premier memories I have or will have....I've never felt closer to my club than since we dropped from the Premier League

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Nice report, very measured.

Personally I thought the 4th was offside. We did feel however that Llera (the chap withthe protective headwear?) was lucky not to be sent off and when discussing it we thought he was possibly one of the worst centre-halves seen at the Amex - mainly from a distribution perspective.

I quite like Wednesday and the support in terms of numbers was excellent. Didn't see or hear the Blade 'bounce' chant?

Interesting you should say that about Llera as he's usually one of the better defenders as far as distribution goes but last couple or three games he's been really off it and even though I've made the point he needs dropping I seem to be a lone voice as he's a bit of a fans favourite.

There was a kinda half hearted bounce at one point but like most things for us that night, it didn't really kick on

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
:smile::smile:

I love that photo...it's me and the Young Un...and believe it or not, it was slightly posed...it was at the end of the game against your mates, Palace when we got relegated.

Anyroad...not all Wednesday fans think the same, believe it or not...

This is my match report

Brighton and Hove Albion -v- Sheffield Wednesday Match Review

Beware though...it's quite long and you don't get that time back.

FWIW other than the 90 mins of football I loved the visit to your place (as you can guess from the report) and I look forward to coming back in the future.

That's a smashing smashing stadium and enjoyed talking to Brighton fans after the game.

The game was a wake up call for a lot of Wednesday fans, we've been on quite a good run from the end of last season and we've got into the habit of winning...last week at Palace was different, they beat us but I don't think they're a better side than us and fancy them to go down or be close to it...this week we were outplayed in every department by a better side and there's no bitterness or sour grapes from me about the result or being beaten by a good side.

Like you and your club, I think we have a great manager and one that will do the business long term but ome Wednesday fans, like some Brighton fans I dare say, don't see the bigger picture and forget where we've come from, they want it all NOW!

It's about the journey not the stops along the way.

Anyway, good luck and see you at ours

That was actually a very amusing read, thanks, also love the Steve Foster comment "Steve Foster resplendent in his glowing headband, like an elastic band round broccoli"

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting you should say that about Llera as he's usually one of the better defenders as far as distribution goes but last couple or three games he's been really off it and even though I've made the point he needs dropping I seem to be a lone voice as he's a bit of a fans favourite.

There was a kinda half hearted bounce at one point but like most things for us that night, it didn't really kick on

Incidentally you were spot on re Leon Knight.

The 'bounce' chant looked fantastic at Withdean a few years ago.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Sheffield Wednesday...

2gton6w.jpg

Mar 2, 2009
Interesting perspective on the game but why did you buy a train ticket at Lewes? The match ticket covers free pre and post game travel for a wide area around Brighton on both trains and buses. Perhaps it was not communicated to you by Sheff Weds but it is a great benefit for both home and away supporters for every match and certainly adds to the value for money of the ticket purchase. As for the 'poisonous midget' rest assured that many of us Albionites are asking the same thing....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
They didn't have much to sing about really, did they?

On another point, I don't think the noise carries that far in the stadium. There aren't many places at the Amex without an atmosphere, but it's rare that you'll hear other stands all that loudly. Obviously we all hear the North but that's because they're basically the home end cheer leaders and so they start up when there is no noise elsewhere.

I'd still expect 1,600 or whatever to be a bit louder than that, especially as most of them would be been on the piss all afternoon and from a big club (not jesting here, they are) like Wednesday.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Interesting perspective on the game but why did you buy a train ticket at Lewes? The match ticket covers free pre and post game travel for a wide area around Brighton on both trains and buses. Perhaps it was not communicated to you by Sheff Weds but it is a great benefit for both home and away supporters for every match and certainly adds to the value for money of the ticket purchase. As for the 'poisonous midget' rest assured that many of us Albionites are asking the same thing....

;D ;D

Yeah, yeah I know...I've had it pointed out to me since and it did occur to me whilst on the train back but who reads the back of a ticket?
It's a great idea and I'll make use of it in future but I think we got stung for the parking too, I think that may have been free after 6pm...

Ya live and learn though ;D

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Be careful what you wish for matey....we all want to see our teams at the highest level and my daughter has only seen that briefly as we made our exit...I've promised her one season if/when we ever make it there and then I'm out, if we stayed up...

The Premier League is all that's wrong with football IMO and the Championship is exactly where it's at...I love The Football League and have enjoyed all the turbulent moments we've had in it, they'll stay with me far longer than any Premier memories I have or will have....I've never felt closer to my club than since we dropped from the Premier League

i like the man - agree entirely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here