Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
From some gimp on Owlstalk: 'Brighton are a good side and deserved to win tonight by the sounds of it. Their fans need to put things into perspective a bit though. Fair enough, they have a new ground, a good manager, they're ambitious, and seem to have a real buzz around their club at the moment that has brought big attendances. They may find themselves having a season or 2 in the top flight in the coming years.

But, their bubble WILL burst at some point. Maybe it will be the day Gus Poyet decides to leave. Maybe it will be after a few failed attempts at promotion and they stop throwing money at it. Maybe it will be that dreaded season after getting relegated from the Prem, big wages and all, then fail to go straight back up. The bubble will burst.

And when it does, the fans will start to disappear, the rot will set in and before they know it, they'll be back where they belong, flitting between the lower couple of leagues. I doubt they will be getting 20,000 plus every other week in the 3rd tier of football like the big (or MASSIVE) clubs tend to do.

Maybe then some of their deluded fans may actually realise what they were/are. A flash in the pan. Good luck though boys. Enjoy being a big club while it lasts. x'.

I don't think they realise not every up and coming club has a mindless chairman. Bloom has his head screwed on in regard to spending within our means. It amazes me how these idiots seem to think we've thrown loads of money around. They should worry about when Mandaric gets bored and moves on to the next club. Sheffield Wednesday fans are some of the most clueless around.

D

Deleted member 22389

From some gimp on Owlstalk: 'Brighton are a good side and deserved to win tonight by the sounds of it. Their fans need to put things into perspective a bit though. Fair enough, they have a new ground, a good manager, they're ambitious, and seem to have a real buzz around their club at the moment that has brought big attendances. They may find themselves having a season or 2 in the top flight in the coming years.

But, their bubble WILL burst at some point. Maybe it will be the day Gus Poyet decides to leave. Maybe it will be after a few failed attempts at promotion and they stop throwing money at it. Maybe it will be that dreaded season after getting relegated from the Prem, big wages and all, then fail to go straight back up. The bubble will burst.

And when it does, the fans will start to disappear, the rot will set in and before they know it, they'll be back where they belong, flitting between the lower couple of leagues. I doubt they will be getting 20,000 plus every other week in the 3rd tier of football like the big (or MASSIVE) clubs tend to do.

Maybe then some of their deluded fans may actually realise what they were/are. A flash in the pan. Good luck though boys. Enjoy being a big club while it lasts. x'.

I don't think they realise not every up and coming club has a mindless chairman. Bloom has his head screwed on in regard to spending within our means. It amazes me how these idiots seem to think we've thrown loads of money around. They should worry about when Mandaric gets bored and moves on to the next club. Sheffield Wednesday fans are some of the most clueless around.

Sounds like that supporter is just pissed because they lost. Your right in Bloom we have someone who understands money. He certainly knows how to make money from his past ventures and it sounds like he has his head screwed on.

We have certainly got ourselves some fantastic deals this season as regards players. Whether this was down to Blooms poker playing skills I don't know.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not in any way ITK with regard to club finances, but I'd imagine that while we're getting gates of 25-26K for every home game and paying 2nd tier wages, Tony Bloom doesn't need to be throwing any of his own money at the club to fund the team.

Jul 13, 2012
I'm not in any way ITK with regard to club finances, but I'd imagine that while we're getting gates of 25-26K for every home game and paying 2nd tier wages, Tony Bloom doesn't need to be throwing any of his own money at the club to fund the team.

Wednesday are in debt fact! They are paying wages they can't afford and their chairman is trying to do what he did at pompey but it'll not work this time.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
images

Hee hee !!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
da da da da da da da da !!

Albion Rob

While you can feel the bitterness coming through here I can see some of his point. For the past 30 years we have flitted around the bottom two division, and flirted heavily with the conference too.

However, from the mid 70s until the early 90s we spent most of our time in the top two divisions. It is worth remembering, however, that we're not in any way a traditional top flight club - but then again I think people know that.

What this guy fails to note is that football is changing, just as it did in, say, the 1970s. Teams like Preston, Huddersfield and Burnley aren't really at the races these days in the same way they were 50 years ago. Sheffield Wednesday may have a decent enough past (not huge, to be fair but a nice big ground and the odd League Cup win and cup final appearance) but football is changing. They get good crowds from a massive city. We get very good crowds from a small-medium city (although a large Sussex catchment area (which is heavily depleted by the :London clubs).

We're on an upward trajecftory. Will we do a Blackpool or a Pompey or a Wigan or a West Brom. Who knows? That's what makes i more exciting to look to the future than to harp on abou the past.

So, in summary. 3-0.

:clap::clap:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Very good point that football has changed. Supporters used to be mainly working class men, which is why Brighton was never really consider a football town and never really tapped into the large catchment area or Sussex. However, like it or not, the demographic has changed massively in the past 20 years, and we now have the stadium to attract all those potential new supporters. Our future is bright despite what all the fans of traditional 'big' clubs with a bit of history will tell us.

Feb 14, 2010
Very good point that football has changed. Supporters used to be mainly working class men, which is why Brighton was never really consider a football town and never really tapped into the large catchment area or Sussex. However, like it or not, the demographic has changed massively in the past 20 years, and we now have the stadium to attract all those potential new supporters. Our future is bright despite what all the fans of traditional 'big' clubs with a bit of history will tell us.

With respect NW gull, that is just not right. Brighton has always been a football town and East Brighton historically, as well as places like Newhaven have always been working class areas.

BHA however have never had proper success, but have always pulled in good crowds. Just look at the attendances of the Albion v Shef Weds and Shef W v Albion over the years.

In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s the crowds at Brighton's Goldstone were bigger for the fixture than Wednesday would get at Hillsborough for us, despite the fact that Wednesday have had more success that BHA . Them's the facts, someone posted on the "Owlstalk chip on their shoulder" thread the exact attendances.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010

:smile::smile:

I love that photo...it's me and the Young Un...and believe it or not, it was slightly posed...it was at the end of the game against your mates, Palace when we got relegated.

Anyroad...not all Wednesday fans think the same, believe it or not...

This is my match report

Brighton and Hove Albion -v- Sheffield Wednesday Match Review

Beware though...it's quite long and you don't get that time back.

FWIW other than the 90 mins of football I loved the visit to your place (as you can guess from the report) and I look forward to coming back in the future.

That's a smashing smashing stadium and enjoyed talking to Brighton fans after the game.

The game was a wake up call for a lot of Wednesday fans, we've been on quite a good run from the end of last season and we've got into the habit of winning...last week at Palace was different, they beat us but I don't think they're a better side than us and fancy them to go down or be close to it...this week we were outplayed in every department by a better side and there's no bitterness or sour grapes from me about the result or being beaten by a good side.

Like you and your club, I think we have a great manager and one that will do the business long term but ome Wednesday fans, like some Brighton fans I dare say, don't see the bigger picture and forget where we've come from, they want it all NOW!

It's about the journey not the stops along the way.

Anyway, good luck and see you at ours

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What happened to your support? You brought the numbers but I barely remember hearing you lot.

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
What happened to your support? You brought the numbers but I barely remember hearing you lot.

No idea mate, it just seemed like we weren't in the mood, on or off the pitch...the mood wasn't good in the stands from what we were seeing on the pitch, a bad night at the office all round...having said that, I only heard your lot make decent noise after the third

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They didn't have much to sing about really, did they?

On another point, I don't think the noise carries that far in the stadium. There aren't many places at the Amex without an atmosphere, but it's rare that you'll hear other stands all that loudly. Obviously we all hear the North but that's because they're basically the home end cheer leaders and so they start up when there is no noise elsewhere.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Onwards and Upwards

We can compete with Sheffield Wednesday on even terms. Their history is like an albatross. What we could not compete with on even terms would be a combined Sheffield side.

With the TV money making some a high proportion of the income, even the smaller clubs like Wigan can have an extended stay in the Premiership.

What I see is the clubs from Lancashire being reduced in number and the southern clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Cardiff staying up if they can get up in the first place.

What they do NOT know in Sheffield is that Brighton is not a prosperous area so we cannot up the entrance fees too much. Reading on the other hand is a prosperous area so they might be able to survive at least as well as Blackburn.

From next season, clubs will have to live within their means. This might mean the Championship this year will be the toughest yet. Overspenders on wages might be in trouble especially if they have older players like Leicester, if they do not get promoted.

I like Championship football, but the better players get poached, and the southern teams are going to be there in the Premier (some of them) so we want to be with them. But, also, we want to ready for the higher division. I think the idea is to get the basis of the squad and try and get four better players when we go up. We have young players that could get better.

The millstone around Albion's neck has always been the ground (not any more) since at least 1971.

Gus said the game was tougher than it looked. Kenny Dalglish said the same thing when they beat us at Anfield last season. That was tough for them, but we helped them with a hatrick by OG.

Last edited:

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
We can compete with Sheffield Wednesday on even terms. Their history is like an albatross. What we could not compete with on even terms would be a combined Sheffield side.

With the TV money making some a high proportion of the income, even the smaller clubs like Wigan can have an extended stay in the Premiership.

What I see is the clubs from Lancashire being reduced in number and the soutern clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Cardiff staying up if they can get up in the first place.

What they do NOT know in Sheffield is that Brighton is not a prosperous area so we cannot up the entrance fees too much. Reading on the other hand is a prosperous area so they might be able to survive at least as well as Blackburn.

From next season, clubs will have to live within their means. This might mean the Chmpionship this year will be the toughest yet. Overspenders on wages might be in trouble especially if they have older players like Leicester, if they do not get promoted.

I like Championship football, but the better players get poached, and the southern teams are going to be there in the Premier (some of them) so we want to be with them. But, also, we want to ready for the higher division. I think the idea is to get the basis of the squad and try and get four better players when we go up. We have young players that could get better.

The millstone around Albion's neck has always been the ground (not any more) since at least 1971.

Be careful what you wish for matey....we all want to see our teams at the highest level and my daughter has only seen that briefly as we made our exit...I've promised her one season if/when we ever make it there and then I'm out, if we stayed up...

The Premier League is all that's wrong with football IMO and the Championship is exactly where it's at...I love The Football League and have enjoyed all the turbulent moments we've had in it, they'll stay with me far longer than any Premier memories I have or will have....I've never felt closer to my club than since we dropped from the Premier League

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here