Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaun Wright-Phillips, you WASTER

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easy 10 said:
I see what you're saying, but its depressing how the likes of Chelsea are now in a position to sign absolutely anyone they want, and exceptional talents like SWP are in danger of sinkking without a trace. The flipside is the fact that Cole, Lampard and Terry are doing so fantastically well there (and those three would make my England starting lineup every single time). But it strikes me that Chelsea is NOT the club to join if you are an up-and-coming young player looking to make a name for yourself in the Prem. If you'er not already close to being the finished product by the time you arrive at the Bridge, then forget it.

Well yes. But are players really bothered - if you're offered £20k a week to play for a Prem side struggling against relegation or £50k a week for the Prem champions, how many players are going to choose the struggling club? Hardly any I'd suggest.

I hardly think its SWP's fault.

Do you really think he didn't expect to get in the Chelsea team when he joined? If you are a player of SWP's quality you should expect that you could, potentially, get in any team in The Premiership, if not Europe.

He hasn't had the rub of the green so far, but I hardly think he joined them expecting to be a sub, and just to collect bigger wages. What nonsense.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they said he doesn't smile anymore. Thats because he's not happy. Because he isn't getting enough games. If he only joined for the wages he wouldn't be bothered about the lack of games would he?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gwylan said:
Well yes. But are players really bothered - if you're offered £20k a week to play for a Prem side struggling against relegation or £50k a week for the Prem champions, how many players are going to choose the struggling club? Hardly any I'd suggest.
Aye, money talks.
How about Winston Bogarde. Signed in 2000 for Chelsea for 4 years on £40k a week. He made 4 starts in his first year, then none for the following three. So he raked in £8.2m in wages in his time at Chelsea, basiaclly just training with the youth team. Jason Cundy was on Talksport last night talking about it. Apparently the fella was getting overweight, but always turned up for training on time, did his workout, went home and would be back the next day no problem. He justified it by saying football was just a living for him, he had no ambitions in the game, he'd grown up poor so this contract had basically secured his and his families future, and was just happy to pick up his wages.

Can't argue with that for a player the wrong side of 30 I suppose, but it'd be fairly horrifying if a player of SWP's age and potential was already taking this attitude from the Chelsea cash-cow. Good old Bosman eh ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Chesney Christ 1 said:
He hasn't had the rub of the green so far, but I hardly think he joined them expecting to be a sub, and just to collect bigger wages. What nonsense.
Is that REALLY beyond the realms ?
Bearing in mind Damian Duff and Arjen Robben were already at the Bridge when he signed, not to mention Joe Cole who is also capable of filling in on the right, did he honestly expect to be playing regularly ?

Personally, I reckon he saw the £££ signs before anything else last summer, and signed on the dotted line accordingly. With a World Cup at the end of this season, he's either been stupid, or greedy. I hope its the former, but I'm not convinced.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Easy 10 said:
But it strikes me that Chelsea is NOT the club to join if you are an up-and-coming young player looking to make a name for yourself in the Prem.

I think your average Mongolian goatherder with no knowledge of football had probably figured that one out by now!!
:jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's really hit England is the reliance on foreign goalies.

If Robinson and James were to get injured in the next few months who would our WC goalies be? Carson and Kirkland - playing reserve team football? Green - playing in the Championship?

It's not ideal preparation.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Is that REALLY beyond the realms ?
Bearing in mind Damian Duff and Arjen Robben were already at the Bridge when he signed, not to mention Joe Cole who is also capable of filling in on the right, did he honestly expect to be playing regularly ?

Personally, I reckon he saw the £££ signs before anything else last summer, and signed on the dotted line accordingly. With a World Cup at the end of this season, he's either been stupid, or greedy. I hope its the former, but I'm not convinced.

You really are bitter about something aren't you!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheeky Monkey said:
I think your average Mongolian goatherder with no knowledge of football had probably figured that one out by now!!
:jester:
I doubt if a Mongolian goatherder even has a Sky subscription, so I CHALLENGE your claim.

:p

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
With Portski soon to be challenging at the top of the Prem with a team of over-paid foreign mercenaries things can only get worse as regards the England team.
Whadda you mean they already have a team of over-paid foreign mercenaries?

Where's our Russian billionaire that's what I want to know? The sooner SWP is permanently warming the bench at Falmer the happier we'll all be.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Easy 10 said:
I doubt if a Mongolian goatherder even has a Sky subscription, so I CHALLENGE your claim.

:p

I can help with this. A Mongolian goatherder has moved in up the road he is called Ashkok and has a Sky+ subscription.

Claim supported as he has confessed to being an avid Chelsea 'fan' as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
You really are bitter about something aren't you!
Not bitter Chappers. I'm just in a rather melancholy mood.
I'm always like this in January.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Easy 10 said:
Not bitter Chappers. I'm just in a rather melancholy mood.
I'm always like this in January.

Can we not start a daft thread on Sticky Cakes or the drinking habits of Cameron Diaz? Maybe even how to disguise the noxious fumes of a pooh at a party at someone else's house?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Gwylan said:
What's really hit England is the reliance on foreign goalies.

If Robinson and James were to get injured in the next few months who would our WC goalies be? Carson and Kirkland - playing reserve team football? Green - playing in the Championship?

It's not ideal preparation.

Kirkland when fit is getting first team football at West Brom.

The problem with Kirkland is he cannot stay fit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perry Milkins said:
I can help with this. A Mongolian goatherder has moved in up the road he is called Ashkok and has a Sky+ subscription.

Claim supported as he has confessed to being an avid Chelsea 'fan' as well.
Unless Ashkok is somehow still herding goats (in Croydon), he can no longer be described as a goatherder. He's now merely a Mongolian immigrant. And if he can afford a Sky+ subscription, I can only hope he is contributing something worthwhile to society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here