Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shame On You Celtic

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
So to all those who attempt and tar the Fine Glasgow Rangers with the same tardy brush, the above really does slightly show you the errors of your ways.

Never ever attempt to compare the two clubs and their respective different approaches to GB and our sovereignty. One is a Scottish Club with a proud tradition of supporting the United Kingdom, the other is a Scottish based team with Irish roots and little or no history in or desire to support our British traditions, for whatever reasons. That ain't bigotry, that is fact!

TNBA

TTF

This. :thumbsup:

ps. i dislike rangers, merely because scottish football is utter CRAP. Celtic though, are proper scum.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I view it not from the point of view of dishonouring fallen soldiers, but more in a protest of the wasting of young lives for self serving interests.

Oh how I wish that were true. But they're not doing it to 'honour fallen soldiers' are they? And certainly not British ones. They're not doing it as a statement of the futilty of war or as a protest against 'poodle' Britain gleefully supporting American imperialist wars - nothing so noble. Their view is that the poppy is used as a British symbol of rememberance, and because the Britiish were, are and always will be evil imperialist oppressors (and thus every war is simply 'Ireland' but in a different geographical location) the poppy is simply a symbol of British militarism and thus something to be hated.

The blood on the 'bloodstained poppy' they talk about certainly isn't the blood of Allied soldiers who fought Hitler or those young British lives wasted in Iraq and Afgahnistan.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh how I wish that were true. But they're not doing it to 'honour fallen soldiers' are they? And certainly not British ones. They're not doing it as a statement of the futilty of war or as a protest against 'poodle' Britain gleefully supporting American imperialist wars - nothing so noble. Their view is that the poppy is used as a British symbol of rememberance, and because the Britiish were, are and always will be evil imperialist oppressors (and thus every war is simply 'Ireland' but in a different geographical location) the poppy is simply a symbol of British militarism and thus something to be hated.

The blood on the 'bloodstained poppy' they talk about certainly isn't the blood of Allied soldiers who fought Hitler or those young British lives wasted in Iraq and Afgahnistan.

They are doing it because even today their "type" are still discriminated against within British society.

You only have to look at threads on this site when it has an Irish or Scottish themes to see the English bigotry towards them come out.

If you're a young Scot or Scots Irishman that see this kind of attitude then naturally there will be a resentment towards who they percieve as the cause of this.

I'd bet a penny to a pound that most are from lower socio-economic backgrounds and feel the brunt of a class system the hardest.

This poppy thing is just another way they lash out at those who slighted them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are doing it because even today their "type" are still discriminated against within British society.

You only have to look at threads on this site when it has an Irish or Scottish themes to see the English bigotry towards them come out.

If you're a young Scot or Scots Irishman that see this kind of attitude then naturally there will be a resentment towards who they percieve as the cause of this.

I'd bet a penny to a pound that most are from lower socio-economic backgrounds and feel the brunt of a class system the hardest.

I'd agree that the Irish were discriminated against as recently as the 70s, but not anymore, and certainly to a lesser degree than any other ethnic minority here. Indeed, Northern Ireland now has the most progressive, democratic form of government on these islands, and arguably throughout Europe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
you know its not.
What I know is that you're talking drivel to suit your own political agenda. They are hated in equal measure across Scotland because the Old Firm have dominated the game off the back of sectarian bigotry.

Your comments of sectarianism in Dundee and Edinburgh are miles wide of the mark. You'll find sectarianism in Edinburgh really doesn't run very deep, and if you're a protestant from Leith you're far more likely to follow Hibs than Hearts from across the city. Indeed, if you go to Hibs site (as I do frequently), you will find that Celtic are actually disliked more than Rangers there. Celtic view Hibs patronisingly like a little brother, but Hibs simply consider themselves an Edinburgh football team that was founded by Irish priests, and that's where it ends. They resent the Celtic assumption that they are somehow brothers in arms, and you won't find that sort of banner doing the rounds at Easter Road, or any sectarian songs either.

There really is no difference between the Old Firm, IMO.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

The reason behind that, my 12000 miles away , living in the 19th century friend is because normal , run of the mill english blokes who used to cheerfully support the home nations in sporting events and suchlike , are sick and tired of having it thrown back in their faces with snide comments and outright hostility from , irish/scottish/welsh people, with a chip on their shoulder about events that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

As bushy says how can you possibly comment on that from 12,000 miles (and a hundred years) away? It's like me telling you you should stop exploting and murdering the aboriginal people and stop treating them as second class citizens, they should have the same rights as you.

If you had any knowledge of the fault lines in modern British society you'd know that nowadays it's the white English working class who feel the most discrimninated against, being Scottish or Irish is an advantage these days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The reason behind that, my 12000 miles away , living in the 19th century friend is because normal , run of the mill english blokes who used to cheerfully support the home nations in sporting events and suchlike , are sick and tired of having it thrown back in their faces with snide comments and outright hostility from , irish/scottish/welsh people, with a chip on their shoulder about events that occurred hundreds of years ago.
This

As bushy says how can you possibly comment on that from 12,000 miles (and a hundred years) away? It's like me telling you you should stop exploting and murdering the aboriginal people and stop treating them as second class citizens, they should have the same rights as you.

If you had any knowledge of the fault lines in modern British society you'd know that nowadays it's the white British working class who feel the most discrimninated against, being Scottish or Irish is an advantage these days.
And this.

f*** off, Tyrone. Come back when you've solved your little problem with the aborigines who still don't feel they fit into your society despite being native to your country. An Aussie twat preaching on rights of ethnic minorities. f*** me, it's unbelieveable.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes

Amen to that!:thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

You can take off your rose coloured glasses now.

Who was it in 1995 that ripped up chairs and threw them down onto the fans below?

Wasn't the English fans throwing projectiles down onto the irish fans was it?

Now tell me exactly why they a) deserve this and b) why that would make anyone have anything but disdain for those involved.

It's almost like you're trying to paint the instigators as the victims.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This

And this.

f*** off, Tyrone. Come back when you've solved your little problem with the aborigines who still don't feel they fit into your society despite being native to your country. An Aussie twat preaching on rights of ethnic minorities. f*** me, it's unbelieveable.

But we don't deny the Aboriginal issue is something that needs to be solved.

But according to some people on here's mindset they should "just get the f*** over it".

Which of course is a moronic answer and shows little to no idea about human nature.

The difference is I can see why and what caused this poor buggers such issues.

It's called empathy, something it seems a lot of people on here have not the slightest clue about.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So to all those who attempt and tar the Fine Glasgow Rangers with the same tardy brush, the above really does slightly show you the errors of your ways.

What a load of elephant wank. I saw at close hand the 'Fine' Glasgow Rangers support in Manchester two years ago. Bunch of arseholes, along with their UDA/UVF flags.

As for the Celtic banner and the Huddleboard, they are disgusting, a pox on society. This is coming from someone with an Irish passport and Catholic upbringing too, there is zero justification for their actions.

The custodians of the Huddleboard are so paranoid that you can only view the board if you have been referred by a member who has posted 1500+ posts before. A Stalinist attitude if ever I saw one.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

If you had any knowledge of the fault lines in modern British society you'd know that nowadays it's the white English working class who feel the most discrimninated against, being Scottish or Irish is an advantage these days.

You think in a nation like ours we don't have people settling here form all over the world?

Do you know how many English and Irish have settled out here? Thousands upon thousands.

Those people you come in contact with and they in course of time tell you about their lives.

And given the media these days you can read enough to form an opinion on something quite easily.

To say people can't comment on something because they aren't there is ridiculous.
That would mean you cannot have an opinion on anything outside your own nation.

Which would mean you can't have an opinion on Afghanistan, Iraq, america or who or whatever going by your reasoning.

I actually agree with your last point that the white working class are now the bottom rung.

And you know why?

Because they hold onto their grieviences and percieved injustices jsut like those who this thread was started about.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You think in a nation like ours we don't have people settling here form all over the world?

Do you know how many English and Irish have settled out here? Thousands upon thousands.

Those people you come in contact with and they in course of time tell you about their lives.

And given the media these days you can read enough to form an opinion on something quite easily.

To say people can't comment on something because they aren't there is ridiculous.
That would mean you cannot have an opinion on anything outside your own nation.

Which would mean you can't have an opinion on Afghanistan, Iraq, america or who or whatever going by your reasoning.

I actually agree with your last point that the white working class are now the bottom rung.

And you know why?

Because they hold onto their grieviences and percieved injustices jsut like those who this thread was started about.
Well you can comment on it, but those of us who live here know more than you do. End of story. And you are, COMPLETELY wrong. The 'protest' is nothing about being 'disadvantaged' it is about trying to keep alive a struggle (Irish independence) that is at best an anachronistic throw-back to a pre-21st century era that has now been totally overtaken by modern events. And if it was about being 'disadvantaged' shouldn't they be showing solidarity with the English instead of antagonising them? I'm all for a good, old-fashioned class struggle and this is manifestly not an example of it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well you can comment on it, but those of us who live here know more than you do. End of story. And you are, COMPLETELY wrong. The 'protest' is nothing about being 'disadvantaged' it is about trying to keep alive a struggle (Irish independence) that is at best an anachronistic throw-back to a pre-21st century era that has now been totally overtaken by modern events. And if it was about being 'disadvantaged' shouldn't they be showing solidarity with the English instead of antagonising them? I'm all for a good, old-fashioned class struggle and this is manifestly not an example of it.

Living on the same bit of land means little when such a distance is involved.

It's like me saying I have my thumb completely on the pulse of all things Aboriginal in Australia just because I live on the same island.

Which of course is not the truth because I don't live amongst them.

As you don't live amongst these Scots communities.

And I'm sure some of them do have some kind of solidarity thing going on with some English, maybe in the Liverpools and Manchesters of England where similar type people reside.

It's not like Albion fans have any sort of solidarity thing going on with their Northern English brothers :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't actually agree with much of what Tyrone is saying - but to claim he can't have a view because he's not in the UK is absurd. What do you really know about the east end of Glasgow living in Sussex. Nothing. It's as much a quantum leap as Oz, possibly further in some ways.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
What I know is that you're talking drivel to suit your own political agenda. They are hated in equal measure across Scotland because the Old Firm have dominated the game off the back of sectarian bigotry.

Your comments of sectarianism in Dundee and Edinburgh are miles wide of the mark. You'll find sectarianism in Edinburgh really doesn't run very deep, and if you're a protestant from Leith you're far more likely to follow Hibs than Hearts from across the city. Indeed, if you go to Hibs site (as I do frequently), you will find that Celtic are actually disliked more than Rangers there. Celtic view Hibs patronisingly like a little brother, but Hibs simply consider themselves an Edinburgh football team that was founded by Irish priests, and that's where it ends. They resent the Celtic assumption that they are somehow brothers in arms, and you won't find that sort of banner doing the rounds at Easter Road, or any sectarian songs either.

There really is no difference between the Old Firm, IMO.

Word.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Well you can comment on it, but those of us who live here know more than you do. End of story.

That is absolute bollocks im afraid. I have studied history all my life (Russia being a speciality) but have little knowledge on this issue. Id imagine 99% of the population of the UK would be the same.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't actually agree with much of what Tyrone is saying - but to claim he can't have a view because he's not in the UK is absurd. What do you really know about the east end of Glasgow living in Sussex. Nothing. It's as much a quantum leap as Oz, possibly further in some ways.

A physics graduate writes: a quantum leap is an electron jumping between energy levels within an atom and to all intents and purposes the smallest physical distance that is possible.

Sorry to be a pedant but having spent the best part of 4 years of my life wasting it by studying the damn things it irks me considerably when the phrase is misused.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here