Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sh*t or bust for Poyet

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Withdean. The team is playing better football every game I get to see. Take Arsenal last week, the team gave them a very good run for their money. nothing like last year, when there was a shambolic capitulation against Liverpool. And just look a the league. Tougher than ever. Yes, we still are only a few points from being dragged into relegation, but the flip side is only a few points from promotion.

At Withdean, and with the previous managers, we could not even think of the players the club are now attracting. Let alone the crowds and chatter in the streets. Just look around, and see how many people are wearing replica kit, both adults and children alike.

This is a brave new world. A whole new fairground ride. Something to behold and cherish, and as we have been told, a five year plan. If we do not achieve promotion this year, so be it. But two consecutive years in the Championship, with growth both on and off the pitch, I'll take that anytime.

Yes my specs may well be rose tinted, or with blue and white striped, but I'll have that any day rather than gross negativity.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Withdean. The team is playing better football every game I get to see. Take Arsenal last week, the team gave them a very good run for their money. nothing like last year, when there was a shambolic capitulation against Liverpool. And just look a the league. Tougher than ever. Yes, we still are only a few points from being dragged into relegation, but the flip side is only a few points from promotion.

At Withdean, and with the previous managers, we could not even think of the players the club are now attracting. Let alone the crowds and chatter in the streets. Just look around, and see how many people are wearing replica kit, both adults and children alike.

This is a brave new world. A whole new fairground ride. Something to behold and cherish, and as we have been told, a five year plan. If we do not achieve promotion this year, so be it. But two consecutive years in the Championship, with growth both on and off the pitch, I'll take that anytime.

Yes my specs may well be rose tinted, or with blue and white striped, but I'll have that any day rather than gross negativity.

exactly

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not shit or bust IMO, more a case of assembling a good enough squad to have a real go at getting into the top 6 unlike last season

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I don't think the OP is too far off the mark. Maybe shit or bust is a bit strong, as he has only had 'that' team for a season, so needs a bit of time to jell. My frustration is he doesn't seem to know his best side and that leads to him chopping and changing every week, depending on who we are playing. 18 games to go, lets hope he finds a settled team and lets them at our opponents.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
1) You shouldn't be able to get away with letting your best player go to your rivals on a free and taking 18 months to replace him. He has. However, you can't get away with signing a player, not giving him much of a chance, then dropping him just as he comes into a bit of form and never playing him again, only for him to bang them in on loan to your arch rivals and fire them to promotion alongside the top scorer in the division that you let go. If Dobbie is a roaring success at Palace, it will be an absolute embarrassment from a Brighton & Hove Albion perspective, absolutely no two ways about it. Let's hope he doesn't.

2) There are no excuses for not getting a team containing:

Kuszczak (Premier/Champions League/International experience)
Bruno (La Liga/Uefa Cup experience)
Bridge (Premier/Champions League/Internatinoal experience)
Vicente (La Liga/Champions League/International experience)
Lopez (La Liga/Uefa Cup experience)
Orlandi (Premier League experience)
Upson (Premier League/International experience)
Crofts (Premier League, won promotion from Championship)
Hammond (won promotion from Championship)
Buckley (one of the most highly rated wingers in the Championship)
Ulloa and CMS (£5m strikeforce)
Bridcutt (one of the most highly rated players in the Championship)
LuaLua (one of the most exciting players in the Championship)
and Ashley Barnes into the play-offs.

No excuses whatsoever. We're underachieving as it is. Fail to make the play-offs and he can do one. Why do you think we're losing £8m a year? He's spent a small fortune on the squad, but at the moment we're being shown up by the likes of Watford, Millwall, Burnley and P*lace. Yeah, so Wolves and Blackburn have spent loads and failed - that doesn't mean it won't be total a disgrace if we don't finish in the top 6.

Last chance saloon. Shit or bust.

With any luck we'll end the season with a trip to Wembley and a winners medal. Although I don't hold out much hope.

Although I agree with something of the things you said, I disagree with the general statement and have full trust in Gus

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Any chance of even bothering to look at my thread and tell me why I'm wrong? Can't be arsed with some of the dickheads on here unable to actually discuss football.

I think it's because you only ever post anything on here when something goes slightly wrong or you disagree with something the club has done.

I think that you are just a troll as everything you post is looking for a reaction and is never constructive and I would take you more seriously if you, once in a while, posted something which you thought wa positive.

If you aren't a troll then you really need to stop posting on here. I'm all for criticism of the club when it's needed but you just take it to the next level and with that you come across as a bit of a joke now.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
1) You shouldn't be able to get away with letting your best player go to your rivals on a free and taking 18 months to replace him. He has. However, you can't get away with signing a player, not giving him much of a chance, then dropping him just as he comes into a bit of form and never playing him again, only for him to bang them in on loan to your arch rivals and fire them to promotion alongside the top scorer in the division that you let go. If Dobbie is a roaring success at Palace, it will be an absolute embarrassment from a Brighton & Hove Albion perspective, absolutely no two ways about it. Let's hope he doesn't.

No excuses whatsoever. We're underachieving as it is. Fail to make the play-offs and he can do one. Why do you think we're losing £8m a year? He's spent a small fortune on the squad, but at the moment we're being shown up by the likes of Watford, Millwall, Burnley and P*lace. Yeah, so Wolves and Blackburn have spent loads and failed - that doesn't mean it won't be total a disgrace if we don't finish in the top 6.

With any luck we'll end the season with a trip to Wembley and a winners medal. Although I don't hold out much hope.

It's very rare, infact I'd say this is the 1st time that I have agreed on everything that you have just said.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013

Played too defensively all season,Gus thinks the defence win games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but I think loaning Dobbie to Palace has the potential to help a team that is above us stay there. Learnt nothing from Murray going there. I am assuming that he can't play against us? This loan is not a great idea imo, can only imagine nobody else wanted him or were willing to pay as much of his wages as Palace.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Good balanced stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Played too defensively all season,Gus thinks the defence win games.
Agreed.
I was pleased when he said words to the effect of 'now we have to lose some to win more'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think to finish outside the top six would probably be construed as failure, but top 6 is not the same as promotion. My suspicion is that we'll finish 6th but actually only go up next season if we can keep the nucleus of the squad together.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
See with 1) I still reckon losing Bennett hurt alot more then losing Murray - and not because he went to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here