Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sex attack in showers at a League One club

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A FOOTBALL League club is reeling after four youth side players were quizzed by police over claims of a sex attack on a team-mate.
The lad — at a Coca-Cola League One club which cannot be named for legal reasons — was allegedly assaulted with an object in showers when horseplay got out of hand.

The 17-year-old went to hospital on Tuesday afternoon, and medical staff tipped off police. Another patient told The Sun: “The lad was in a lot of distress and was hobbling as he came into casualty.

“He told nurses he had been attacked by a group of team-mates in the showers. It sounded absolutely horrific. It wasn’t long before police came down and he was asked to go through what had happened again.

“He was in a right state. He was constantly in tears and was in a great deal of distress and embarrassment. I really felt for him.”

The four players were arrested. Last night three were released on police bail until next month. The fourth was freed and told he would not face charges.

The club said in a statement: “We are aware there has been an alleged incident. We will assist and communicate with the relevant authorities.”

Not very pleasant.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
How many people will immediately think the club in question is us?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I want to know at what point does 'horseplay' turn in to one of them going "I know lads, lets sexually assault him. That'd be WELL funny".

BAFFLING.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The club in question has probably prepared a statement for the press. However the press are unable to name the club in case it gives away the name of the persons involved who, presumably, are all minors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...no doubt is all part of the banter....which is all important to players.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apparently we do have 'excellent banter' at the Albion. I think it was Forster who said so.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It is also to do with the victim being a victim of a sexual assault and thus given anonimity for life.

Also, say they said 'Brighton and Hove Albion youth team' then every single member of that youth team could sue for defamation because they could argue people thought THEY were the ones behind the attack.

They can't be named because they are under-age and the club can't be named because everyone else connected to that side would sue.

I guess SPECULATION is about all we are going to get on this one.

Albion Rob

It is also to do with the victim being a victim of a sexual assault and thus given anonimity for life.

Also, say they said 'Brighton and Hove Albion youth team' then every single member of that youth team could sue for defamation because they could argue people thought THEY were the ones behind the attack.

They can't be named because they are under-age and the club can't be named because everyone else connected to that side would sue.

I guess SPECULATION is about all we are going to get on this one.

Just on the second point, Rich - they couldn't sue for defamation because of the size of the group. Assuming we have more than eight youth team players, that is.

You'll need to consult McNae but I'm pretty sure the legal precedent is that if there are more than eight people in the group in question then they cannot sue for defamation if they were not named individually because identification would be too difficult. If they said: "A black youth team player." for example, that could be different.

I think the case in question revolved around Northamptonshire Police but, assuming Pete has an up-to-date copy of McNae to ignore, you should be able to find out.

Last edited:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Just on the second point, Rich - they couldn't sue for defamation because the of the size of the group. Assuming we have more than eight youth team players, that is.

You'll need to consult McNae but I'm pretty sure the legal precedent is that if there are more than eight people in the group in question then they cannot sue for defamation if they were not named individually because identification would be too difficult. If they said: "A black youth team player." for example, that could be different.

I think the case in question revolved around Northamptonshire Police but, assuming Pete has an up-to-date copy of McNae to ignore, you should be able to find out.

you're right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here