Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriouly, did we not play better under Wilkins?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm not just referring to today and have only seen us at home this season but did we not play better and more attractive football under Wilkins?

One type of player I think we are missing hugely is someone like Guy Butters. OK, he was not the fastest on 2 legs but he dominated the middle of the park in a way that currently no one is doing. I also think we need a Bas Savage type of player. Big and strong in the box.

As for today I did predict Scunny would beat us. Compared to us they are a class team.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
People always talk about lack of entertainment last season, but I thought our home campaign was the most entertaining for some years.

By god, we need someone like O'Callaghan back. Takes the team by the scruff of the neck and demands the ball from the defence. Our midfield look happy to hide away and our defence look happy to launch aimless balls up field.

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
The player we've been missing ever since we let him go is O'callaghan, If someone today could of just put their foot on the ball, relax and take control at any area of the pitch, we would of seen alot more possession and football than we got from a frantic looking starting eleven.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
i think our problem was when we lost hammond and ocallaghan - el abd helped us whilst not injured but they are a big loss to our midfield

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i think our problem was when we lost hammond and ocallaghan - el abd helped us whilst not injured but they are a big loss to our midfield

I didn't think Hammond and O'Callaghan really suited each other, personally. They seemed to get in each others way. Sadly, they both dug their own graves it seems.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
The mugs on this site will never accept what a class act George O'Callaghan was for us, but maybe they just might begin to see it now. He's the only midfielder we've had for about 3 years who ALWAYS picked the right pass, always wanted the ball, and because everything went through him the whole team's performance was attractive on the eye. The day we let him go back to Ipswich was the day our midfield died.

And then the midfield was hung, drawn, quartered, cremated and thrown into the sea the day we bought Thomson.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The mugs on this site will never accept what a class act George O'Callaghan was for us, but maybe they just might begin to see it now. He's the only midfielder we've had for about 3 years who ALWAYS picked the right pass, always wanted the ball, and because everything went through him the whole team's performance was attractive on the eye. The day we let him go back to Ipswich was the day our midfield died.

Did you watch the same O'Callaghan as me? He was so over rated. He was more likely to give the ball away stupidly near his own area then create a goal. How many assists did he provide in his time?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Micky Adams competative record so far

Played 7
Won 4
Drawn 2
Lost 1
For 11
Against 6

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
No we didnt play better under wilkins....he was in charge for over 12 months and consistantly played like cun*s!

5 games in and its not all rosey, but comparing the great man to that clown wilkins is not on!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Adams for me all the way.

O'Callaghan was a pariah for The Albion.
He looked good for a couple of games, then couldn't seem to pass forward for the life of him.

Rose tinteds mate, we are best rid of wankers like him.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The facts are the 3 home games under Adams the football has been the worst I can remember in decades. Even worse than the horrendous home form of 2006/2007.

I am a big Adams fan but facts are facts.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The football yesterday was on a par with Wilkins reign, early goal conceded and generally no idea or pattern of play.

As for O'Callaghan, he WOULD have been a good player if he had actually got into the oppostion half. Most of what he did was between our pen area and the halfway line, he may have put his foot on the ball but generally under no pressure and with very few positive results.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
No we didnt play better under wilkins....he was in charge for over 12 months and consistantly played like cun*s!

5 games in and its not all rosey, but comparing the great man to that clown wilkins is not on!

Don't really see how Wilkins was a clown, surely he only improved our league position. 7th in his first full season!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
People always talk about lack of entertainment last season, but I thought our home campaign was the most entertaining for some years.

By god, we need someone like O'Callaghan back. Takes the team by the scruff of the neck and demands the ball from the defence. Our midfield look happy to hide away and our defence look happy to launch aimless balls up field.

Totally agree with all of that. The football under Adams at home this season has been DIRE.

Attendances will continue to drop if we do not start playing football and getting results. I often go to games with a work colleague who is a Spurs fan but loves going to football and has started getting behind the Albion. He ca,e along to about ten games last season and is exactly the kind of person we need to convert if we want to fill Falmer. He's normally very eager to hear when the next game is, but totally lost interest after Orient.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think most people accept that O'Callaghan was a good player for us but unfortunately instead of letting his boots do the talking he used his mouth and undermined the whole team morale. If he hadn't opened his gob then maybe we would have kept Savage and Hammond and not have had that unsettled period which probably more than anything cost us a play-off place. Still, I suspect that rather than blame a gobby git like O'Callaghan you say it was all Dick Knight's fault.

O'Callaghan should be playing in the Championship but because he probably has a considerably higher opinion of himself he is becoming the next Leon Knight.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
We played better last season when we had good loan players in, particulary O'Callaghan & Racon to influence our midfield. Hammond is also missed.
I feel the strength of the squad is more important than the style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here