Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Senior School Decisions, anyone unhappy?

D

Deleted User X18H

Jesus!! I always thought that the way you posted your Thatch loving drivel you were about 70 yrs old!

or are you perhaps sweating on the outcome for your grandchildren?

I post my Thatch loving drivel because due to her my kids are in the catchment area for Balfour and Stamford! I am a child and teenager of the 80's

Last edited:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I post my Thatch loving drivel because due to her I my kids are in the catchment area for Balfour and Stamford! I am a child and teenager of the 80's

To be fair I don't know you, however, I am sure that it is down to your own hard work that you are in a position to live in Five ways, and not that of Thatch.

D

Deleted User X18H

To be fair I don't know you, however, I am sure that it is down to your own hard work that you are in a position to live in Five ways, and not that of Thatch.

Fiveways how dare you!!! Upper Preston Village if you please.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
110%. its a london obsession that has infected brighton, pointlessly. its really not healthy.

Not surprising with the number of Londoners moving down into the best catchment areas because money talks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i thought B&H school places were allocated on a lottery basis to spread the middle classes around. one of the few progressive policies in education recently, shame if they ditched it.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
i thought B&H school places were allocated on a lottery basis to spread the middle classes around. one of the few progressive policies in education recently, shame if they ditched it.

I thought the lottery system was a truly daft policy - and I think it still exists unfortunately.

I think Blatchington Mill is still using a lottery system which is why so many of my son's friends are upset; they live very near the school or have siblings there and they still get turned down in favour of children who live miles away and who will have to come in by subsidised bus. Why is the Council which is supposed to be Green, sending children on journeys all over the place instead of having catchment areas?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought the lottery system was a truly daft policy - and I think it still exists unfortunately.

It would be an interesting idea to introduce an authority wide lottery system but that's not what was introduced. They've given catchment areas for each school - we live in Coldean so our secondary school is Patcham. Therefore, parents know which school the kids are going to.

The exceptions to this are Varndean and Dorothy Stringer which serve a large area of Brighton and Blatchington and Hove Park, which do the same for Hove. However, these are not true lotteries as you still have to be living in their catchment area to get into one.

What happened was that the people living in Muesli Mountain were concerned that their kids might have to go to Longhill, so the Labour and Green parties cooked up a plan to send them to Varndean or Stringer (that's why the Greens are quite happy about a policy that sends people across Brighton, it keeps their voters happy).

It would have been interesting to have had a system that sent some herberts from Moulsecoomb to Stringer but, from a purely selfish point of view I'm happy with the current system. My kids go to Coldean which is rated outstanding by Ofsted (and is indeed a superb school) and are set to go to Patcham which has almost caught up with Varndean. Hope they don't change the system.

EDIT: Because I'm not tired enough to go to bed yet, I thought I'd have a look at league tables. As I suspected, no Brighton state school is in the top 200 in the country and none is in the worst 200, supporting my assertion that the differences between various schools are minimal. As someone said earlier, parental support is much more important than the school the kid is going to.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
schools bores are up there with house price bores. you know as soon as they start the oh we are hoping for x or y for jemima the new head has done so well, i really couldnt send her to z they will not bring out her creative side, that they are f***ing boring tits. good to see so many sensible people on here though, far outweighing the fusspots.

i cannot think of any of my chums who went to longhill deason falmer tideway newman i could go on who were failed by any of them. and most people went to their local school except for newman pupils. i think the fact is people are just a lot sillier these days. its a horrible debate this it really gets my back up.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
At least you have a choice - Bexhill has one Catholic School (100 yards from my house) or one other (two miles away) but because the catholic school is allowed to ship pupils in from Eastbourne, Hastings and further afield they just cherry pick the brightest pupils to keep their results up.

Saying that I'm glad my daughter didn't get into the catholic school, very little is taught their in life skills and pupils come out not having a clue about life (other than what is taught by the priests).

Ah excellent - a thread where 90% of people are talking sense about how any school can be ok and how the kids shouldn't have ideas put in their heads, and then one person goes and makes at least two comments stereotyping a school that they obviously have no clue about.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

It is a nice idea, but when you have kids who have travelled an hour to get to school you run the risk of:

a)Them just not turning up or completing the journey (most bus journeys across Brighton involve a change at Churchill Square!)
b)Them being absolutely knackered an in a bad mood by the time they arrive

Especially if their mates go to the school down the road.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
think Blatchington Mill is still using a lottery system which is why so many of my son's friends are upset; they live very near the school or have siblings there and they still get turned down in favour of children who live miles away and who will have to come in by subsidised bus. Why is the Council which is supposed to be Green, sending children on journeys all over the place instead of having catchment areas?

If those children live close to blatch they must also live close to Hove Park - which I suppose is the nasty school that the poor middle class children have got. What the parents probably do not know is that HP will surpass blatch within the next 3 years as far as results. Unfortunately too many parents get influenced by reputation rather than looking at the big picture.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
[/QUOTE]:The Spanish;4763348]schools bores are up there with house price bores. you know as soon as they start the oh we are hoping for x or y for jemima the new head has done so well, i really couldnt send her to z they will not bring out her creative side, that they are f***ing boring tits. good to see so many sensible people on here though, far outweighing the fusspots.

i cannot think of any of my chums who went to longhill deason falmer tideway newman i could go on who were failed by any of them. and most people went to their local school except for newman pupils. i think the fact is people are just a lot sillier these days. its a horrible debate this it really gets my back up.[/QUOTE]:

It is anoying but what's even more annoying are the number of holidays that teachers have each year compared to us mere mortals.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
think Blatchington Mill is still using a lottery system which is why so many of my son's friends are upset; they live very near the school or have siblings there and they still get turned down in favour of children who live miles away and who will have to come in by subsidised bus. Why is the Council which is supposed to be Green, sending children on journeys all over the place instead of having catchment areas?

If those children live close to blatch they must also live close to Hove Park - which I suppose is the nasty school that the poor middle class children have got. What the parents probably do not know is that HP will surpass blatch within the next 3 years as far as results. Unfortunately too many parents get influenced by reputation rather than looking at the big picture.

Absolutely spot on! You obviously have access to exactly the same "easy to obtain" information that we had rather than just getting whipped up into a frenzied playground mummy hysteria!
Perhaps if these people actually did some bloody research themselves and went and spoke to the teachers, staff and pupils at the relevant schools, then they would feel a lot better about their situation.

I have a feeling that the next few weeks at school on the drop off / pick up are going to be particularly hard work!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ah excellent - a thread where 90% of people are talking sense about how any school can be ok and how the kids shouldn't have ideas put in their heads, and then one person goes and makes at least two comments stereotyping a school that they obviously have no clue about.

My first sentence is 100% accurate

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My first sentence is 100% accurate

No it isn't. Like a lot of faith schools, it will be oversubscribed, so firstly, they take all the Catholic kids from the area (you are right in saying this is from quite a lot of places) regardless of ability or class/money/background. I believe at that school, it is nearly filled by practising Catholics at this stage but after that, the places will be allocated to students based on other factors - often this is looking at why they want to go to a Catholic school and will they respect the values, e.g. if they are practising Anglicans or of another religion, or perhaps location etc. There are all sorts of systems and appeals and they can't take kids based on ability - for one thing in this day and age it is virtually impossible to make any sort of prediction about what results a 10 year old is going to achieve at the age of 16 based on their numbers. it might appear quite selective to someone who isn't Catholic, but I can assure you they will not be picking kids on an academic basis.

Btw - having re-read that I seem to be talking very officially, worth pointing out I am nothing to do with said school!!

No it isn't. Like a lot of faith schools, it will be oversubscribed, so firstly, they take all the Catholic kids from the area (you are right in saying this is from quite a lot of places) regardless of ability or class/money/background. I believe at that school, it is nearly filled by practising Catholics at this stage but after that, the places will be allocated to students based on other factors - often this is looking at why they want to go to a Catholic school and will they respect the values, e.g. if they are practising Anglicans or of another religion, or perhaps location etc. There are all sorts of systems and appeals and they can't take kids based on ability - for one thing in this day and age it is virtually impossible to make any sort of prediction about what results a 10 year old is going to achieve at the age of 16 based on their numbers. it might appear quite selective to someone who isn't Catholic, but I can assure you they will not be picking kids on an academic basis.

Btw - having re-read that I seem to be talking very officially, worth pointing out I am nothing to do with said school!!
Wait until the new ESCC policy on funding for transport to faith schools kicks in. Big changes will happen.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

A post of 2 halves there Clive! Surely it is because of the lottery system you criticise in your first paragraph, that is causing Hove Park to catch up with Blatch as you point out in your second paragraph.

Result, 2 average schools instead of 1 good and 1 bad! Job done!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here