Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Senior School Decisions, anyone unhappy?

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Both my kids have gone to faith schools right from primary school - one has just finished at st Andrews in Worthing - we didn't have to pay for his train pass as it was funded at the time - however we will have to pay for our girl to go to davisons in Worthing if we choose for her to go there - I'm fine with this - don't mind paying to get her there.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The new policy will undoubtedly have an impact on the numbers attending denominational schools, especially those that have historically served huge "catchment areas" where the newly imposed transport costs will be prohibitive for many families.
this sounds like great news for the monied middle-class of East Sussex...

Lush

Mods' Pet
Rubbish, for a start multi-culturalism has failed, even most politicians accept that now.

Doesn't mean you have to make things worse by segregating kids on the basis of faith.

Faith schools are some of the best performing and most popular schools in West Sussex for example.

I'm not denying that some schools perform better than others. This will probably always be the case. But why go through the charade of having 'faith' attached to schools? Why can't parents do the god thing at home/take their kids to church. After all you can't choose where you work or go to university on the basis of faith. Do you refuse to go to BHASVIC because it ISN'T a faith school? Or is it suddenly OK then?

Kids of all cultures and faiths (and non-faith) do mix at faith schools. You would be surprised, there are unbaptised kids, atheists et al at Newman (mostly not but they do exist and most kids there fall somewhere in the middle as they are from other faiths, not Catholic).

Those are probably the children of the parents who attended church in the year up to reception, so as to get into the school. It's a total and unfair charade.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I always love these conversations about faith schools. Lord B has made a valid point about how funding will be used re travel in the future but if you read Ken Newbury's post you will see how the costs actually work out as a benefit to the LEA.

Although I lived just over 3 miles from my school (literally 100 yards outside the limit for the faith school I went to) the journey to school was less than it would have been due if I'd gone to 3 of the 4 'nearer' schools. This was due to the bus route operated which got me to school in just under 35 mins door to door with no bus changes.

As for the do 'God' thing at home. Perhaps we should do the media thing at home or perhaps do the woodwork thing at home or do the classical languages thing at home. Parents will wish their child to go to a school that meets the aspirations they have for their child in terms of skills, academic direction etc. Within the state system they could go to the local comprehensive or the local academy or the local faith school. As Academies and Faith schools fund a large part of their running costs and capital costs then that seems fair enough.

My children will likely go to Longhill which currently (due to the closure of Stanley Deason/Marina High/Comart) has a high number of people bussed in at costs to the LEA. Also it has now dropped into the bottom 200 schools in the country in terms of results and is taking some rather creative/stupid decisions about how to rectify that including running less maths lessons for the younger years in order to give extra maths to the ones at GCSE level just to improve results.

The new policy will undoubtedly have an impact on the numbers attending denominational schools, especially those that have historically served huge "catchment areas" where the newly imposed transport costs will be prohibitive for many families.

this sounds like great news for the monied middle-class of East Sussex...

The monied middle-class never want to send their kids to schools with a rapidly declining number of pupils (and all the cuts in available funding that comes with that problem). I predict that the good faith schools of today will be the sink schools of tomorrow.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I take it you mean StaNford?

Timmy being local wouldn't make a mistake like that - it would be like a person who boasted of significant independant means sending your children to a STATE school instead of Windlesham

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The monied middle-class never want to send their kids to schools with a rapidly declining number of pupils (and all the cuts in available funding that comes with that problem). I predict that the good faith schools of today will be the sink schools of tomorrow.
I don't know about the general situation but I would be very surprised to see St Richards, for example, become a sink school tomorrow....

If a small percentage of those being bussed/trained in from afar have to forgo their places, on the grounds of travel expense, then there will be more than enough demand in East Sussex to replace them. Eastbourne/Bexhill monthly season ticket is £37 on the train - not going to put many of the sharp-elbowed off, is it?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As for the do 'God' thing at home. Perhaps we should do the media thing at home or perhaps do the woodwork thing at home or do the classical languages thing at home.

I for one certainly want my kids taught about religion, ALL religions, so they can have an understanding of the greater world out there, exactly the same as woodwork/classical languages. However I most certainly do not want them indoctrinated into one narrow belief at school. Leave THAT to the parents to do at home!

And dont get me started on creationism!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I for one certainly want my kids taught about religion, ALL religions, so they can have an understanding of the greater world out there, exactly the same as woodwork/classical languages. However I most certainly do not want them indoctrinated into one narrow belief at school. Leave THAT to the parents to do at home!

Ironically in my Catholic school I studied Hinduism, Bhuddism, Islam, Judaism as well as Lutheran, Methodist, Tridentine, Othodox, Anglican and Methodist views of Christianity. Creationism was more a compare and contrast against the allegory of the christianity creation elements within Genesis. It was light relief alongside laughing at Scientology.

My friends who went to Stringer, Stanley Deason and Fawcett maybe covered these topics for a couple of lessons if at all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Those are probably the children of the parents who attended church in the year up to reception, so as to get into the school. It's a total and unfair charade.

One of my daughters C of E friends at Primary School converted (with her mother) during her final year at Primary School to be a catholic for the sole purpose of getting into the Catholic school.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ironically in my Catholic school I studied Hinduism, Bhuddism, Islam, Judaism as well as Lutheran, Methodist, Tridentine, Othodox, Anglican and Methodist views of Christianity.

Presumably with a "this is what they believe but of course we know we are right" stance from your teachers? Or can you all be right?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Presumably with a "this is what they believe but of course we know we are right" stance from your teachers? Or can you all be right?

No judgement was added that I recall. No patronising comments, no pitying remarks.

I did (like all good catholics) get O level guilt though.

Ironically in my Catholic school I studied Hinduism, Bhuddism, Islam, Judaism as well as Lutheran, Methodist, Tridentine, Othodox, Anglican and Methodist views of Christianity. Creationism was more a compare and contrast against the allegory of the christianity creation elements within Genesis. It was light relief alongside laughing at Scientology.

My friends who went to Stringer, Stanley Deason and Fawcett maybe covered these topics for a couple of lessons if at all.

Some Hindu friends of mine chose to send their kids to a Catholic primary school on the grounds that it would give them a better understanding of what it means to believe something than they would get at a non-faith school.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here