Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling stolen goods?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When I lived in Lambeth (which I don't now....), if you wanted to get rid of say a fridge - you just rang the council up and they would take it away for NOTHING. In fact they would take anything away for nothing.

I used to consider that a good deal and although the council tax here is lower (and considerably lower than anyone in Sussex is paying) - I've already made up the difference by paying the council to take "extra" stuff away. Recently paid £60 to take away 10 extra bags of rubbish where in Lambeth they would just take it.

Anyway - there is another way of getting rid of stuff in London. Simply leave it out anyway. I recently had my old metal bath replaced and it was outside for about a minute (seriously) before it was gone. I seen the "unofficial" refuse collectors round here with their truck. They simply circle round the area and take anything of worth dumped outside.

Anyway - there is another way of getting rid of stuff in London. Simply leave it out anyway. I recently had my old metal bath replaced and it was outside for about a minute (seriously) before it was gone. I seen the "unofficial" refuse collectors round here with their truck. They simply circle round the area and take anything of worth dumped outside.

I wonder if a similar thing goes on in Hove. I can put anything outside our front door (recently it's been a TV and shelving amongst other items) and it's gone within half an hour. Either there's a van circling or we're just surrounded by PIKIES.

The difference being who pockets the cash, have used both Pebsham and Lewes tips both sell stuff but I would imagine the proceeds goes to the council, or maybe charity, so a dustman selling stuff personally on ebay maybe dodgy if he(she) pockets the cash.
The operators of household waste sites are licensed by the council to sell stuff that they retrieve and keep the proceeds. Anyone else who takes stuff is acting illegally, if they don't have a totter's licence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've had a fair bit of stuff out of skips, but I always ask first.

Will have cucumbers growing in a planter soon, that I made completely out of discarded wood.

Got some joist off cuts sitting behind my shed that I haven't decided what to do with yet - but will probably build some planter.

With tomatoes this year, I will be creating underground reservoirs with old fizzy drink bottles, so am always looking out for discarded bits of pipe.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Same round here. Not always pikies, sometimes it's Eastern Europeans but stuff goes pretty quickly. Last year we had a skip and at one stage it was emptying faster than we were filling it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here