Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling stolen goods?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you work for a refuse collection company, is it illegal to sell stuff that you've got out of bins on Ebay?

(I am NOT asking for myself. :smile: )

No, finders keepers. People want to throw stuff away then what's wrong with it being 'rehomed' ? As long as the Ebay description is accurate you don't need to disclose where it came from.

D

Deleted User X18H

Theft by finding. How do YOU know it was thrown away legitimatly?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Technically it might constitute an offence of theft by finding as the property is not his to sell.

But there would seem little chance of an owner claiming it so he'd probably be fairly safe. If it was in large quantities, on a regular basis, and the refuse company found out, there would be issues with them I'd imagine because they're paid to dispose of the stuff, reducing it into their possession, and they wouldn't want it known an employee of theirs was making money out of it.

I think.

D

Deleted User X18H

Technically it might constitute an offence of theft by finding as the property is not his to sell.

But there would seem little chance of an owner claiming it so he'd probably be fairly safe. If it was in large quantities, on a regular basis, and the refuse company found out, there would be issues with them I'd imagine because they're paid to dispose of the stuff, reducing it into their possession, and they wouldn't want it known an employee of theirs was making money out of it.

I think.
Beat ya! Chief Superitendent Hove Born&Bred.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Are we talking Bin Diving Here.

D

Deleted User X18H

Are we talking Bin Diving Here.

No , I imagine in 10 minutes or so Safeway's punchline will be along the lines of ' I have had to carry loads of what I found' or ' it's really really heavy' I am BIN Laden!!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
:lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

I knew binmen in the 80's in london who resented having to open their wage packets because they made so much money this way, it's known as "totting" in london.

Steptoe Safeway?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I say once it goes in the bins, and is collected, it becomes the property of the 'Recycling Company'. So it would technically be theft from them.

(Not that it would come to it, though, I'm sure).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't know, first Bin Laden and now Bin Diving, where will it end ?

New lows eh simster?

I'm sure crims have a list of excuses at the ready when they fence stuff off, and this one sounds particularly naive.
"I didn't know it was nicked your honour, honest :shrug: "

Are you a scouser in disguise? :lolol:

Simster? You're losing it, old man (but then we've known that for a while).

D

Deleted User X18H

Actually our bins haven't been emptied this week. Could you have a well informed word Safeway? Ta

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I knew binmen in the 80's in london who resented having to open their wage packets because they made so much money this way, it's known as "totting" in london.

It's called scratching here in Brighton, I done 15 years on the bins before my illness. You would be surprise what people throw away. Everyone knows it goes on, but as to the legality of it, I don't know.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's called scratching here in Brighton, I done 15 years on the bins before my illness. You would be surprise what people throw away. Everyone knows it goes on, but as to the legality of it, I don't know.

yup "scratching (a living)" is the main income earner for people working on the bins in Birmingham too. Mate of mine who retired recently is mortified that his final salary pension doesn't reflect his true income from nearly forty years of tatting other peoples' rubbish :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here