Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Selling players next year.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
[SUP][/SUP]

Poorly worded perhaps. Only that we seem to invent all sorts of positions for ex players, for the sake of being ex players. Can it always be the case that they are the best option available or is it just doing favours for the boys?

It wont be just for the sake of it. Bloom, Barber and Ashworth wouldn't operate in that fashion. The likes of Bruno and Ben Roberts being given coaching roles at the club will be because they are good coaches. We don't get to see that side of the players but I have no problem trusting our ownership and management to make sure they're only bringing in coaches that offer something, regardless of whether they are ex players.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I just don't see Duffy going until the summer. Suspensions will happen, injuries will happen, we need him and he is a bloody good player after all.

So, so true. He's the talisman of the Irish side and our current POTS. Potter appears to have teams/tactics for individual games/halves so there will be plenty of occasions where Shane Duffy is the perfect pick (especially if Webster ever goes to full back).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
For me we need to look to progress if we stay up this year. Potter was given this squad, threw in a few additions but he's going to want a new squad that he can rely on (no players like Andone or Locadia). We have a lot of players and then a lot more out on loan so this is my ideal window NEXT SUMMER:

Out (12):
Balogun - free.
Schelotto - free.
Bong - free.
Murray - Retirement :(
Duffy - £15m anywhere but rivals.
Propper - £20m Ajax interested last summer and contract expires in 2021.
Knockaert - £10m Fulham, all but gone.
Andone - £8m finished here.
Locadia - £8m ditto.
Walton - £5m no future here unfortunately, won't surpass Ryan and needs to go out for growth, maybe another loan.
Izquierdo - £10m No Trossard, injury prone, haven't really had him for 18 months.
Jahanbakhsh - £10m doesn't even make the bench.

In (7):
White - free
Clarke - free
Mac Allister - free
Tau - free
Mooy - £10m
A new CM, Sander Berge? - £20m
A new RB, Reece James? - £15m

Last two unrealistic. But this would be progress, huge income freeing up wages and getting rid of current dead weight, replacing with young hungry and some English talent.

Not saying agree with it all but whats that 70m ish in and only 45m out.

Would be very good business

Could even mean we went very large on a couple of indiviuals if needed

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
It seems to me we are being too quick to suggest getting rid of players who dont always make the matchday 18. If we aspire to top 10 status we will need a squad large enough to support this. Fine if we can get good money for Ali J and Duffy and get better replacements otherwise we might be better keeping. Of course they might want to go to get game time. Given we have 2 more CBs on loan I might guess we would let either Duffy or Balogen go unless we do a deal with Leeds over White.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It seems to me we are being too quick to suggest getting rid of players who dont always make the matchday 18. If we aspire to top 10 status we will need a squad large enough to support this. Fine if we can get good money for Ali J and Duffy and get better replacements otherwise we might be better keeping. Of course they might want to go to get game time. Given we have 2 more CBs on loan I might guess we would let either Duffy or Balogen go unless we do a deal with Leeds over White.

Really can't see us letting White go - as a young HGP who is tearing up the championship, and academy product, he's exactly the type of player Potter/Ashworth want. He'll be back as soon as Potter thinks he's ready to provide serious competition for a first team place. Not sure where Clarke will fit in - probably depends on Balogun/Duffy (imagine both will want more first team football so will want to move at some point) and Bong will be off. Schelotto is interesting - everything points at the moment to Potter quite liking him (hope to God it's only as a wing back and not a FB in a 4 though) but suspect we'll be in the market for a RWB

Difficult to see Ali J and Izquierdo getting a look-in, think Murray will retire (after scoring the winner in the Cup Final)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Don't disagree with you in terms of the player and his ability, but I think the fear his influence on the dressing room?

Have we any indication of him disrupting the dressing room ?...….. I have heard nothing but good stuff from the manager about Duffy.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Really can't see us letting White go - as a young HGP who is tearing up the championship, and academy product, he's exactly the type of player Potter/Ashworth want. He'll be back as soon as Potter thinks he's ready to provide serious competition for a first team place. Not sure where Clarke will fit in - probably depends on Balogun/Duffy (imagine both will want more first team football so will want to move at some point) and Bong will be off. Schelotto is interesting - everything points at the moment to Potter quite liking him (hope to God it's only as a wing back and not a FB in a 4 though) but suspect we'll be in the market for a RWB

Difficult to see Ali J and Izquierdo getting a look-in, think Murray will retire (after scoring the winner in the Cup Final)

I think you're being a bit harsh on Izquierdo. He clearly has the quality and pace. His goal away at Stoke suggests he will suit Potterball well. It remains to be seen how he recovers from injury, of course, but i have a feeling he will play a big part towards the end of the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you're being a bit harsh on Izquierdo. He clearly has the quality and pace. His goal away at Stoke suggests he will suit Potterball well. It remains to be seen how he recovers from injury, of course, but i have a feeling he will play a big part towards the end of the season.

I love the guy - not being harsh, just think he's been out for so long (and doesn't seem close to a comeback even now) that we've moved on so far he'll find it difficult to get anywhere near the team. Really hope he does though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have we any indication of him disrupting the dressing room ?...….. I have heard nothing but good stuff from the manager about Duffy.

Disruptive is probably the wrong word, I have heard unsubstantiated rumour of bad influence with some players that is worrying the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here