Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Self employed to receive 80% of income from the Gov’t too

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Apparently not.

Agents have been blocked from making the claim themselves and warned about registering the gateway id themselves and doing it for their clients.

HMRC expect every claim to be made by the taxpayer.

This is, indeed, the case although agents can check to see whether their clients are eligible for the SEISS. Setting up a government gateway account is not kerfuffle free either. There is something from HMRC that says there is an alternative method for the self-employed who can't claim through the internet but they haven't told anybody what that alternate process is!

Neither the SEISS nor the Job Retention Scheme have been properly thought through.

I have a client who ceased employment to start his own business (self-employed) part way through tax year ended 5 April 2019. Because of the timing when he took the decision, his employment earnings (under PAYE) were a few hundred quid more than his self-employed profits. Therefore as his self-employed earnings were not more than 50% of his total income for 2018/19 he has been told he is not eligible for the grant.

So my client gets nothing despite the fact that his income from his sole-trade is his ONLY source of income. He cannot work because of coronavirus and now he gets to live on fresh air. It's a shambles.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Is there any truth in this report saying the they are looking to reduce the £2500 per month cap and reducing the amount who can claim from the £50k trading profit down to £30K

limit.jpg

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is there any truth in this report saying the they are looking to reduce the £2500 per month cap and reducing the amount who can claim from the £50k trading profit down to £30K

View attachment 123212

So - who on here is 'addicted' to their government self-employment grant? Although, to be fair, it's kind of hard to get hooked onto something you haven't even received yet.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is, indeed, the case although agents can check to see whether their clients are eligible for the SEISS. Setting up a government gateway account is not kerfuffle free either. There is something from HMRC that says there is an alternative method for the self-employed who can't claim through the internet but they haven't told anybody what that alternate process is!

Neither the SEISS nor the Job Retention Scheme have been properly thought through.

I have a client who ceased employment to start his own business (self-employed) part way through tax year ended 5 April 2019. Because of the timing when he took the decision, his employment earnings (under PAYE) were a few hundred quid more than his self-employed profits. Therefore as his self-employed earnings were not more than 50% of his total income for 2018/19 he has been told he is not eligible for the grant.

So my client gets nothing despite the fact that his income from his sole-trade is his ONLY source of income. He cannot work because of coronavirus and now he gets to live on fresh air. It's a shambles.

Indeed. LOTS of similar cases around unfortunately.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So - who on here is 'addicted' to their government self-employment grant? Although, to be fair, it's kind of hard to get hooked onto something you haven't even received yet.

Exactly. What a stupid thing to say when millions haven't received a penny yet!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
HMRC letter just arrived in the post with details about seeing if I'm eligible and how to make a claim..
My account did kindly email me yesterday with the same details.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just received this email from HMRC (with my bolding):

Dear [schmunk]

This week we have started contacting self-employed customers who we think could be eligible for the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS), based on the information they provided in their 2018 to 2019 tax return. We’re inviting customers to use our online checker which will quickly confirm whether they are eligible and will give customers a specific date from which they can make a claim.
You may already have been contacted by clients about this process, and we’re writing to ask for your support and help, as customers prepare to make a claim.

How you can help
You can help your clients by:
• ensuring they are aware they may be eligible
• helping them to find the details they need
• using the online eligibility checker on their behalf (or supporting them to use it themselves)
• talking them through why they may or may not be eligible, drawing on our online guidance or through our daily webinars.

As an agent you won’t be able to make a claim on behalf of your clients.
Designing a scheme that enabled agents to apply on behalf of clients would have taken substantially longer to deliver, at a time when speed is the priority.
Instead, we have designed the scheme to be as simple as possible for customers to use, and we will calculate the amount a customer is entitled to based on the information we already hold.

How to use the checker
To use the online checker, your client or you, on their behalf, will need their Unique Taxpayer Reference Number and their National Insurance Number.

If your client is eligible, they will be given a date, between 13 and 18 May, from which they can apply. This date is assigned randomly to help HMRC manage demand on the service, making sure that everyone who needs to make a claim can do so.

Your client will also be asked to provide their Government Gateway credentials (user ID and password) and check that their bank and contact details are up to date. This is important so that we can we can remind them by email or text message when it’s their turn to make a claim.

If your client doesn’t have Government Gateway credentials, they can set those up simply if they follow our guidance and use the SEISS eligibility checker. There will be no requirement for customers to wait for pins or codes through the post.

Please encourage your clients to use the SEISS eligibility checker and get their Government Gateway credentials now if they don’t already have them. This will make applying for the grant quicker and easier when it is their time to apply.

The application process
When the application process goes live on 13 May, you can continue to support your clients although you cannot complete the claim on their behalf.

The application process will show how HMRC has calculated the grant your client is due to receive. Your client will be able to share this calculation with you.

If you, or your client, wish to seek a review of this calculation, you can do so on behalf of your client.
It’s important to note that the checker has an extremely high accuracy rate as we use the data you or your client has previously provided us with.

We’d welcome your support in helping clients to understand if they meet the criteria for SEISS. If you, or your client still wish to request a review, we will look at their case from 18 May and we will explain their eligibility by the end of May.

Further information
Our phone lines will be very busy over the next couple of weeks so we would really value your help in explaining the scheme to your clients and ensuring they understand the scheme. You can do this by visiting our guidance on GOV.UK which will provide you with most of the answers you or they need.

[...continues]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone else been shown to be ineligible even though you meet the criteria set out?

I filed my 18-19 return in early-mid April (well prior to deadline) but supposedly they are checking all returns between 23rd March and the deadline (23rd April I think?) for anti-fraud purposes.

I have requested it be reviewed and have been told to expect a call “sometime in May”.

Just want to know if anyone else is in the same boat.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I got that email schmunk.

HMRC addressed it to "Dear *one of my clients*..."

Lol.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Second communication received by email

Thank you for registering for "Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)".
This webinar provides an overview of the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme including who can apply and how, the amount you can claim and other support available.
Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk
How To Join The Webinar
Mon, May 11, 2020 9:45 AM - 10:30 AM BST
Add to Calendar: Outlook® Calendar | Google Calendar™ | iCal®
1. Click the link to join the webinar at the specified time and date:
Join Webinar
Note: This link should not be shared with others; it is unique to you.
Before joining, be sure to check system requirements to avoid any connection issues.
2. Choose one of the following audio options:
TO USE YOUR COMPUTER'S AUDIO:
When the webinar begins, you will be connected to audio using your computer's microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended.
--OR--
TO USE YOUR TELEPHONE:
If you prefer to use your phone, you must select "Use Telephone" after joining the webinar and call in using the numbers below.

PS I hadn’t registered for anything :moo:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Second communication received by email

Thank you for registering for "Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)".
This webinar provides an overview of the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme including who can apply and how, the amount you can claim and other support available.
Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk
How To Join The Webinar
Mon, May 11, 2020 9:45 AM - 10:30 AM BST
Add to Calendar: Outlook® Calendar | Google Calendar™ | iCal®
1. Click the link to join the webinar at the specified time and date:
Join Webinar
Note: This link should not be shared with others; it is unique to you.
Before joining, be sure to check system requirements to avoid any connection issues.
2. Choose one of the following audio options:
TO USE YOUR COMPUTER'S AUDIO:
When the webinar begins, you will be connected to audio using your computer's microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended.
--OR--
TO USE YOUR TELEPHONE:
If you prefer to use your phone, you must select "Use Telephone" after joining the webinar and call in using the numbers below.

PS I hadn’t registered for anything :moo:

Oh and i had this one yesterday before the one above

Dear customer,

The government is committed to doing whatever it takes to support businesses and individuals through the coronavirus pandemic.

The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) has been introduced to help the self-employed (including members of business partnerships) through this period of disruption.

Join the following live webinar for an overview of the scheme.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)

During this webinar we’ll be covering:

the aim of the scheme
who can apply
how much you may be entitled to
how to apply for the scheme
what happens after you’ve applied
other support available.
Choose a date and time

We will bring you the most up-to-date information to keep you fully informed of changes as they develop.

Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Yours sincerely

jharra
Jim Harra

Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary – HMRC

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone else been shown to be ineligible even though you meet the criteria set out?

I filed my 18-19 return in early-mid April (well prior to deadline) but supposedly they are checking all returns between 23rd March and the deadline (23rd April I think?) for anti-fraud purposes.

I have requested it be reviewed and have been told to expect a call “sometime in May”.

Just want to know if anyone else is in the same boat.

How can you check t see if you meet the criteria?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
How can you check t see if you meet the criteria?

Search GOV*.UK for 'Self-Employment Income Support Scheme' from Monday 4** May.

To complete this eligibility check, you’ll need to have your:

National Insurance number – if you don’t know this, go to the HMRC app, your online tax account or ask your tax agent (if you have one).
Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number – you can find this on your self assessment papers or from your agent.
If we confirm you are eligible, you’ll then need your: Government Gateway user ID and password – if you don’t have an account, or have forgotten your details, follow the instructions on GOV*.UK by searching for the 'Self-Employment Income Support Scheme'. Please check your contact details are correct in your Government Gateway account.

You cannot access the financial support yet. We’ll send you another email soon to tell you when the claim system is available for you to use. We expect this to be between 13 and 18** May.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also had eligibility confirmed now - can claim from 8.00am on Friday. Wonderful.

Can only assume there will be a similar further grant later in year for Self Employed, given the furlough extension announcement today.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Furlough scheme extended although with employers expected to contribute from August(?)...wonder what he will do with self employed
Hoping to finally be able to claim something Thursday midday!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here