Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seem Tottenham Fans Seem Interested In Mr Potter

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All that tweet says is that Spurs players were impressed by how we played against them.
Potter is under contract. If we were prepared to let Spurs buy him out, which I doubt we would be, then we’d want a lot of money. More than all that, I don’t think Potter would want to leave. He’s an intelligent man and knows that his longevity of career at Brighton means more than a stressful 12 months or so at Spurs.
I’m naturally a pessimist, but I just don’t see this being an issue. Spurs are in a pickle, and whilst I’m sure Potter is a good coach, would he be able to convince Kane and Son that they should stay in North London? It’s a poison chalice of a job just now, and I can only see a journeyman Manager from Europe taking it for the short term pay deal that it will be.

"Spurs are in a pickle"

When you've got a spare hour or so can you please pop round and talk me through all my failings as a human being.

I reckon with you and your perspective on things I might just make it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In light of Paul Barbers comments this is probably moot, but if Potter were to jump ship, should we go for Emma Hayes?

1 community shield
2 league cups
2 FA cups
3 WSL titles

And on course to win WSL and Champions League this season.

Ignore her gender, she is a very imposing Alpha human and undoubtedly more successful than Graham Potter.

Seems the kind of leftfield appointment Tony wouldn't baulk at making. And appointing her would certainly raise our profile globally and create massive commercial opportunities for the club.

Yes from me. She's a seriously impressive character and talks more intelligently about the game than most male pundits. Chelsea fans I know wanted her to take over from Sarr before Lampard got the job.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
In light of Paul Barbers comments this is probably moot, but if Potter were to jump ship, should we go for Emma Hayes?

1 community shield
2 league cups
2 FA cups
3 WSL titles

Ignore her gender, she is a very imposing Alpha human and undoubtedly more successful than Graham Potter.

Seems the kind of leftfield appointment Tony wouldn't baulk at making. And appointing her would certainly raise our profile globally and create massive commercial opportunities for the club.

Erm, what?

How can you possibly make that comparison?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Erm, what?

How can you possibly make that comparison?

Swedish div 4 winner
Swedish div 3 winner
Swedish div 2 runner up
Swedish cup winner

Yes his playing style and coaching ability is impressive, but his list of honours isn't.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Putting yourself in Potter's position (rather than ours as Albion fans), it would be tempting to be offered a chance to manage a club of Tottenham's stature.

Yes, it would be risky to work for Daniel Levy, but I'm sure GP backs his ability, and the payoff in the event of the sack would probably set him up for life. Plus an opportunity at this level might not come again. If he stays with us and injuries and more bad luck next season end up in relegation, then would any big clubs see him in quite the way they do today? Is his ultimate ambition to make us into a top-ten club, or to work at a club that expects to be in Europe most seasons?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If we had Kane and son this season we would have been competing for top 6, of that I have very little doubt. Potter would be brilliant at spurs. I hope he stays with us but they are bigger than us and if he could keep Kane they will fly.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't understand the logic of people saying he'd be mad to take it.

We have an aim to become a top 10 club.

Spurs have an aim to challenge for trophies across the board. They are a huge huge club.

Yes Bloom is great but that only goes so far in football.

If ever there's an example of how carried away people can get by xG stats...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Spurs have an aim to challenge for trophies across the board. They are a huge huge club.

Dont think he would be mad to take it, but he would be mad not to stay with Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imho I think Potter would be mad to take it. Yes he will get more money but the possibility of being out of a job within a season. Spurs are a basket case.
He is building the foundations to take this club to new heights. What makes me laugh is Rodgers favourite for the job, I see Leicester a bigger club than Spurs now.

Please give it to Ralf Ragnick, he always seem to be mentioned by never gets the job, how long ago were we after him?

According to a Guardian talking head Ralf always has a decent amount of control/oversight across his entire club.

Tough to imagine Levy going for that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

They’re a good club, but huge huge?

They won’t win trophies in front of Man City, Liverpool and Manchester United any time soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Spurs can aim for whatever they like, but the truth of the matter is their aims are light years away from their actual reality, and that's a reality right now WITH Son & Kane.

What's the trophy haul gonna look like without those two?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Spurs can aim for whatever they like, but the truth of the matter is their aims are light years away from their actual reality, and that's a reality right now WITH Son & Kane.

What's the trophy haul gonna look like without those too?
Well if Potter is as good as people say then i don't see why he can't do well with a bigger playing budget. Not saying he will win trophies but surely competing for them is a better bet for any manager than hoping to finish 8th on a limited budget

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Putting yourself in Potter's position (rather than ours as Albion fans), it would be tempting to be offered a chance to manage a club of Tottenham's stature.

Yes, it would be risky to work for Daniel Levy, but I'm sure GP backs his ability, and the payoff in the event of the sack would probably set him up for life. Plus an opportunity at this level might not come again. If he stays with us and injuries and more bad luck next season end up in relegation, then would any big clubs see him in quite the way they do today? Is his ultimate ambition to make us into a top-ten club, or to work at a club that expects to be in Europe most seasons?

Conversely, if GP is very successful, he would be sought by a lot of top European sides.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well if Potter is as good as people say then i don't see why he can't do well with a bigger playing budget. Not saying he will win trophies but surely competing for them is a better bet for any manager than hoping to finish 8th on a limited budget

As said previously I can't make a single case for now being the time to join Spurs, esp as 10th choice.

If GPott could finish 8th (seems an overstretch but your words not mine) he would be able to choose the job he wanted at whichever club he wanted.

I'd like for my tune to change in 12 months time as that means my club have finally had a successful EPL season, the manager has finally lived beyond expectations and chances are the goals have been made bigger!

But right now GPott ain't going nowhere and I think he'd be a fool to have his head turned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

1 community shield
2 league cups
2 FA cups
3 WSL titles

Let’s not start this sort of hustling. I’m not even entertaining thoughts of another manager at this point, GP is not going.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

No ones saying he’d be mad to take it. But it’s nowhere near the foregone conclusion that some make it to be.

Do you really think GP will lose his rag with Tony and storm into his office (virtually these days) demanding he be released from his contract? I don’t see him as that type of character. I see him wanting to repay the faith given to him by Tony and Paul.

Anyway, you don’t think he’s a good manager anyway right? So presumably you must think these Spurs fans are completely deluded?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I don't understand why a clubs ambitions and expectations have suddenly become such high currency, esp when those expectations have scent regard to reality.

When the club did finally catch lightening in a bottle and reach the Champs League final they almost immediately coughed up the future, partly due to the sense of entitlement.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yes, I think a lot would. The fact that some managers get rewarded with new jobs after failing (relatively speaking) in their previous ones is enough to convince me that owners are either blind to bad seasons, or look at the bigger picture. Jose, for example, has been gash for years and he still gets jobs. There are countless others.

One name I've not seen mentioned is Chris Wilder. He did amazingly will Sheffield United until this season and loads of the fans didn't want him to go – and still want him back.

Huge huge clubs don't get beaten by #TeamsLikeBrighton :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here