Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second thoughts on Chelsea game

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
This was most definitely a favour to Poyet, they could have played whoever they wanted to play today but they chose us due to Poyet.

As much as poyet may have been a major part in securing this game let's not forget that Chelsea fc obviously see us as worthy opponents as the last team they play before the charity shield

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I will be there today & I will be there on Tuesday for FDM testimonial.

European champs or not I think this game has been arranged more for the benefit of Chelsea than Brighton.To me it seems like Chelsea want to celebrate the champions league win with their fans down by the sea side.

So what? Good for them... I don't need to wear the badge of honour for FDM and I wish him a great testimonial and I am sad I can't be there, but it'll be like any midweek game during the season, I can't do it and it grates with me. My fault I live in London. I went to bed and couldn't sleep, I am so excited by today... mixture of seeing the improvements from my own eye, seeing my first game for how many months?, seeing Vicente, seeing those Chelsea boys that won the ECL and the cup, seeing my first Brighton v Chelsea since 1973 ... just a great day I think. I need to sleep I have to be up at 9!!!!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Didnt think i would but now the day is here and im stuck at work definately having second thoughts about my decision to not bother with this game today, nothing to do with who we're playing im just itching to get back to The Amex!!!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No second thoughts from me. Regardless of the opponent preseason games are just dull to watch. I'll be going on tuesday, but that is to support Michel, I'm pretty sure that game will be dull too.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
No second thoughts from me. Regardless of the opponent preseason games are just dull to watch. I'll be going on tuesday, but that is to support Michel, I'm pretty sure that game will be dull too.

A game like today will be nice to sit back and relax and probably watch some decent passing football from both sides without being overly bothered about the result and to check out how The Amex is coming along. I know its effectively nothing more than a training game for both, but always good to test ourselves against higher level opposition. Im sure it will benefit our players.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I do find it mildly amusing that 'fans of Brighton' tell us that Chelsea is a nothing friendly, despite them being European Champions and us being the first to play them on English soil since, yet would cream themselves over Real Madrid, Barca, Inter, et al. You don't get a bigger friendly than the European Champions. Terribly sad people.

Chelsea are European Champions fair enough. But to people that have followed the game longer than the last ten years - they are not the same as the the other clubs you mention. They are just not.

And I think it is great we have s friendly against the European Champions - but personally prefer to see pre-season friendlies at our local grounds.

(and I know you have been around the game longer than the last ten years)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A game like today will be nice to sit back and relax and probably watch some decent passing football from both sides without being overly bothered about the result and to check out how The Amex is coming along. I know its effectively nothing more than a training game for both, but always good to test ourselves against higher level opposition. Im sure it will benefit our players.

I think today will be good for the team too. I'm pretty sure they will enjoy testing themselves against some star names. I'm glad the game has sold out and I think everyone going will have a good time, it's just not for me I'm afraid. I cannot wait for the cardiff game though, I am PUMPED for that one.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
How many fans that have decided to miss the Chelsea game are now having second thoughts?

I will be there & will also be there for the FDM game.

The reason I mention this is not because it's Chelsea but because this seems to have been the longest post/pre season in history.

The last competitive game we played was on 28th April & let's be honest that was a dead rubber.

Whether it is Chelsea or barnet I just want my life back.

I understand that we have bent over backwards to accommodate Chelsea & their demands to secure this fixture but we should also take credit for us being seen as
a worthy last warm up game before the charity shield.

No regrets here. Financially it was Chelsea at home or hull away. If I could have afforded both I would have done. Just rather go to hull away.

May watch the Chelsea game on Internet. But as has already been stated I will probably be board after 10 mins.

I just hope people don't get too over excited should we win/draw.

I don't want to hear that if we can beat Chelsea in a pre season friendly we can beat anyone.

I was hearing on talk shite the other day about forest and ajax from a couple of years back. Not only was the atmosphere really flat. The game was not exciting. Forest drew 2-2 and all there fans thought they would tear the championship apart. Needless to say they had a shocker.

Remember all the comments on here about Hastings when they beat us. I hope we win or manage a score draw for those going to watch. But please don't get carried away.

Pre season matches always have and always will mean f*** all in terms of results. No doubt for players/managers they are really useful.

For those going, enjoy the day out. Will be great to see the new seats in the Amex and all. Get back to familiar surroundings etc. but that's all it is.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
Going on a stag today, so can't go anyway. But to be honest probably wouldnt have gone as friendlies, no matter who the opposition bore the life out of me. Chelsea? no thanx! Cardiff? yes please!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm looking forward to it, its also a chance to practice my travelling, moved from Woodingdean which was a 5 minute shuttle bus ride away to Burgess Hill,

I've heard about train queues and always thought about the poor souls when I've been home in 20 minutes after an evening game, to now joining the queue myself:shootself:

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I'm looking forward to it, its also a chance to practice my travelling, moved from Woodingdean which was a 5 minute shuttle bus ride away to Burgess Hill,

I've heard about train queues and always thought about the poor souls when I've been home in 20 minutes after an evening game, to now joining the queue myself:shootself:

Don't take today as the be all and end all. Trains are usually better than they will be today. As there are no extra trains today because of Olympics.

That is all.

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
Maybe this is also a chance Gus needs to steal lukaku for the season, we may have enquired and he wants to come down today and check it out before he signs?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Seagulls travel do a coach from Burgess Hill - might be worth looking into if you want to avoid the train queues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here