Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second highest defense budget in the world

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So in 2 years, we have overtaken China, India and Russia in military spending? Yeah...right.

I've no idea. I was just saying that the data represented on the graph is two years out of date. Which it is.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
China and Russia are both increasing their defence spending at double digit rates - we have actually decreased ours in real terms. The gap is growing and the french will overtake us either this year or next. The biggest disgrace is that we dont even have a proper Minister for Defence as was stated - he does it part time - the lads and ladies getting their rears shot at must really appreciate the level of respect that our dear PM gives them. Never before have so many serving and recently retired senior officers called into question the commitment of teh government to the military.

A "right" to get in there? And why exactly? The Taliban have never threatened us. We may not like the way they operate, but that's a problem for Afghanistan, not for us. As for Al Queda, if we had minded our own business and stayed out of Iraq I somehow don't think they would be a threat to us. Are they threatening New Zealand? Or Canada?

Historians reckon that Hitler never actually threatened us, Chamberlain was well out of order, and declared war on Germany! He had no "right" doing that, why should Poland be anything to do with us anyway?
The Americans had no right joining in against Hitler either, bloody busybodies

And we had no right taking troops to Yugoslavia - could have just let 'em get on with their genocide in....erm......peace.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Historians reckon that Hitler never actually threatened us, Chamberlain was well out of order, and declared war on Germany! He had no "right" doing that, why should Poland be anything to do with us anyway?

And we had no right taking troops to Yugoslavia - could have just let 'em get on with their genocide in....erm......peace.

Oh you like Americans now do you ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
NMH is in fact correct

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Shouldn't it be stated as per capita. think Israel would probably be well towards the top. How about Russia
I would say it's a very questionable chart.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd rather see us slash the defence budget and spend the money on more important things.

Like a national football academy. :)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So said Des Brown, Defense Minister on the Today programme this morning.

As a taxpayer I absolutely do not support such a policy.

The obvious question is "Why?".

So that we can wage war in countries where we have no business poking our noses such as Iraq and Afghanistan?

We should stay the hell out of other people's business and leave other countries to sort out their own problems. Sure we need a reasonable sized military for defense purposes, but defense means just that, defense, not waging war around the world under the mistaken assumption that other countries need to be forced to adopt our form of democracy.

Rant, rant, rant.

P.S. I'm looking forward to a great game tomorrow and a Seagulls victory.

So when any of our interests are threatened we run to the good ole' USA.........

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Yep, spot on.......................

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Anyway back to the real story. Buzzers graph is very nice but there's one key proviso -the figures are for purchasing power parity,. I think, looking back at the story the government is claiming second based on unadjusted spend.
IMO the government should also be judged on GDP% spent on defence, which I suspect would push us way down the list.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I must have read this wrong, I thought it was Chelsea that had the highest defense budget, followed by Real Madrid.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Anyway back to the real story. Buzzers graph is very nice but there's one key proviso -the figures are for purchasing power parity,. I think, looking back at the story the government is claiming second based on unadjusted spend.
IMO the government should also be judged on GDP% spent on defence, which I suspect would push us way down the list.

Heard Des Brown's statement again on PM on Radio 4 yesterday: "Britain has the second biggest defense budget in the world in real terms after the USA". What "in real terms" means I do not know, but sounds pretty clear to me.

I guess "in real terms" is the opposite of "in unreal terms".

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
A "right" to get in there? And why exactly? The Taliban have never threatened us. We may not like the way they operate, but that's a problem for Afghanistan, not for us. As for Al Queda, if we had minded our own business and stayed out of Iraq I somehow don't think they would be a threat to us. Are they threatening New Zealand? Or Canada?

You might care to research and read up on the Taliban, Al Qaeda and Afghanistan before making such uninformed and glib statements. Wikipedia would be a good start to get some basic facts.

Based on your narrow minded logic I guess we really should just have left that nice man Hitler alone to conquer mainland Europe, I mean after all he wasn't a threat to us and tried to get us on his side at one point before it all kicked off, I'm sure we would have been alright if we'd just let him get on with it.

You sir are a cock, go and hug some trees.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You might care to research and read up on the Taliban, Al Qaeda and Afghanistan before making such uninformed and glib statements. Wikipedia would be a good start to get some basic facts.

Based on your narrow minded logic I guess we really should just have left that nice man Hitler alone to conquer mainland Europe, I mean after all he wasn't a threat to us and tried to get us on his side at one point before it all kicked off, I'm sure we would have been alright if we'd just let him get on with it.

You sir are a cock, go and hug some trees.

And you, sir, are talking garbage.

That nice Mr Hitler was invading neighbouring countries and therefore was a potential threat to the (not very far away) UK.

The Taleban have never invaded another country. Al Qaeda has never invaded a country. These two groups would not be a threat to us if we mind our own business and quit interfering in their part of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here