Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second highest defense budget in the world

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So said Des Brown, Defense Minister on the Today programme this morning.

As a taxpayer I absolutely do not support such a policy.

The obvious question is "Why?".

So that we can wage war in countries where we have no business poking our noses such as Iraq and Afghanistan?

We should stay the hell out of other people's business and leave other countries to sort out their own problems. Sure we need a reasonable sized military for defense purposes, but defense means just that, defense, not waging war around the world under the mistaken assumption that other countries need to be forced to adopt our form of democracy.

Rant, rant, rant.

P.S. I'm looking forward to a great game tomorrow and a Seagulls victory.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Is he American?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Iraq - fair enough
Afghanistan - we had every right to get in there and take on the Taliban and the Al Queda training camps

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg;2213 Afghanistan - we had every right to get in there and take on the Taliban and the Al Queda training camps[/QUOTE said:
A "right" to get in there? And why exactly? The Taliban have never threatened us. We may not like the way they operate, but that's a problem for Afghanistan, not for us. As for Al Queda, if we had minded our own business and stayed out of Iraq I somehow don't think they would be a threat to us. Are they threatening New Zealand? Or Canada?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And we still managed to let in 3 goals at home.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A "right" to get in there? And why exactly? The Taliban have never threatened us. We may not like the way they operate, but that's a problem for Afghanistan, not for us. As for Al Queda, if we had minded our own business and stayed out of Iraq I somehow don't think they would be a threat to us. Are they threatening New Zealand? Or Canada?

9/11 ? nothing to do with us guv, " whistles and walks away down the street "

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Who's got the highest? Is it Luxembourg? I never did trust them. Hiding tucked away like that. We need to have a large defense budget to keep an eye on them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Al Queda committed 9/11 BEFORE the invasion of Afghanistan

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As Doug Deep said. It's "DEFENCE".

Anyhoo....you're talking out your arse, Goldstone. We're nowhere near 2nd.

_44256918_military_spend_gr203.gif

Well the Taliban were happily allowing terrorists to operate from within their borders with impunity, for a start. Al Queda were running terrorist training camps and planning large-scale terrorist activities, some of which have (and many more which probably would have) taken place on British soil.

Although I do agree that defence spending is a excessive. Just not with your reasoning behind cutting it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
also is it right if atrocities are taking place in a country and terrorist training camps are in operation we can adopt a " mind our own business " stance

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As Doug Deep said. It's "DEFENCE".

Anyhoo....you're talking out your arse, Goldstone. We're nowhere near 2nd.

_44256918_military_spend_gr203.gif

I think it's Des Brown who was talking out of his arse. I am merely quoting him ... and that is what he said.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can sympathise with the anti Iraq war stance very much now and I was behind it but I do believe 100% there was every right for the USA and then UK supporting them to invade Afghanistan, absolutely

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
also is it right if atrocities are taking place in a country and terrorist training camps are in operation we can adopt a " mind our own business " stance

So do you suggest we invade Pakistan where there are probably more terrorist training camps than anywhere else?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think it's Des Brown who was talking out of his arse. I am merely quoting him ... and that is what he said.

fair dos. He is only defence minister part-time (combining it with minister for whinging sweaties) so I can see why he might get muddled.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Plus that graph is for 2005 and Des Brown may be privy to some current figures.

Al Queda committed 9/11 BEFORE the invasion of Afghanistan

UK and American Special Forces were already preparing for Afghanistan b5 9/11 and weren't US Rangers already out there.

Also two of our main goals are:

Destroy the 'stans Poppy Harvests and

Protect the Stans oil pipeline.

Strategically both protect the defence of our realm in economic and social terms.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So do you suggest we invade Pakistan where there are probably more terrorist training camps than anywhere else?

slight differance Pakistan leaders Musharraf and especially Benesir Bhutto on on board with us in rooting out this evil, Afghistan leaders were implicit in the camps and evil, they were called the Taliban, also I can't remember a terrorist attrocity eminating from Pakistan occuring, but if it did, I would support military action against Pakistan

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
who founded al queda who provided the arms and the training,who sponsored them in a bid to end the rule of the legitimate russian backed northern alliance.who fucks around and destabilises regimes in the futile quest for oil,who supports the most evil corrupt fundamentalist regime(saudi arabia)
the country that can't spell DEFENCE

The same country that wanted a pipeline from russia to pakistan through afganistan and wants the same northern alliance back in control regardless of the cost in misery inflicted on the afgani people and the heroin pouring out from the seeds provided by the C.I.A. to BOTH sides.

Still the rich get richer and the poor(and i include american and our troops) get shot,blown up,robbed by a junkie or die of an overdose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here