Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sebastian Ribas ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seems like we were after a loan to buy deal (final purchase price £800k) but Monaco waded in and snatched him. Get the impression he would have smashed the wages cap to bring him in as 50% of his earnings would disappear in tax and NI whereas in Monaco that wouldn't apply and would match what he was previously earning at Genoa. Ribas must be the player we were after who had connections with Inter Milan (made 1 appearance before going out on loan)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Maybe Hull will drop asking price re: Mclean after bringing in that striker. Think we will have to free up some wages for Mclean though as earns more than anyone at our club apparently.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Seagulls miss out on Ribas | Football News | Sky Sports

Seagulls miss out on Ribas
Brighton came close to landing Uruguayan striker
By Patrick Haond. Last Updated: July 30, 2012 11:16am

Sebastian Ribas: Has linked up with Monaco on loan

.....Brighton were among those in the running to land Sebastian Ribas before the Uruguayan striker took the decision to link up with Monaco.

Ajaccio believed that they were leading the chase for the 24-year-old forward once it became apparent that Genoa would once again be looking to move him on.

The Ligue 1 outfit put a deal in place, but were unable to get the official paperwork signed.

A late move from Brighton left them empty-handed, but the Championship outfit were also pipped to the post as Monaco landed Ribas on a season-long loan.

Reflecting on an intriguing transfer saga, Ajaccio chairman Alain Orsoni told L'Equipe: "We agreed terms with the player. I had a phone call with his father and they were delighted. We even booked his plane ticket to come over.

"But in the same night, I got a phone call from one of his agents telling me that he wouldn't be coming.

"Brighton, a Championship team, had made a bid and were offering him €900,000-a-year tax-free.

"Of course we could not match that, and then Monaco showed an interest."

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Seagulls miss out on Ribas | Football News | Sky Sports

Seagulls miss out on Ribas
Brighton came close to landing Uruguayan striker
By Patrick Haond. Last Updated: July 30, 2012 11:16am

Sebastian Ribas: Has linked up with Monaco on loan

.....Brighton were among those in the running to land Sebastian Ribas before the Uruguayan striker took the decision to link up with Monaco.

Ajaccio believed that they were leading the chase for the 24-year-old forward once it became apparent that Genoa would once again be looking to move him on.

The Ligue 1 outfit put a deal in place, but were unable to get the official paperwork signed.

A late move from Brighton left them empty-handed, but the Championship outfit were also pipped to the post as Monaco landed Ribas on a season-long loan.

Reflecting on an intriguing transfer saga, Ajaccio chairman Alain Orsoni told L'Equipe: "We agreed terms with the player. I had a phone call with his father and they were delighted. We even booked his plane ticket to come over.

"But in the same night, I got a phone call from one of his agents telling me that he wouldn't be coming.

"Brighton, a Championship team, had made a bid and were offering him €900,000-a-year tax-free.

"Of course we could not match that, and then Monaco showed an interest."

900,000€ is that currently around £15,000 a week! wowza.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hm not that great that it has got out we were willing to pay 15k a week, now every agent is going to be asking for more.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brian Owen just confirmed it to me. He's history, earning a tax-free wage. Monaco have got a big advantage on wages.

According to Sky sports

"Brighton, a Championship team, had made a bid and were offering him €900,000-a-year tax-free. "

Not sure if I believe that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here