Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
True. I think the club gets more right than wrong, and the travel scheme and interest free options are groundbreaking and to be applauded.

I don't know about ground breaking. Through nobody's fault the ground is out in the sticks and apart from what was required by planners club had to do everything possible to make it easier to get to. Can you imagine what the attendance would be if people had to queue at say Brighton, Falmer and Lewes Stations to buy and have tickets checked.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Because traditionally, if you had a theater or cinema ticket or just about any sporting ticket and then couldn't go for some reason, you would pass it on to a friend so it didn't go to waste. If I was a commuter, I can't imagine anyone I know, were I sick or on holiday, being interested in the 7:30 to Victoria.

But they are unspecified, non subsidised tickets, not season tickets. I would hazard a guess that any ticket sold to a "named" individual also says it's non-transferable.

The problem is fans have got used to being able to share their season tickets and don't like it now that "free" unregulated option has been taken away...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Out a total income of £140m plus our match income is about £20m In comparison the later is minor and made up from contributions from 30k people. PB I am sure would say I know nothing about running a football club as I would say they should be doing everything to make those people want to return rather than p------ so people off

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Or simply allow the ST to be upgraded to a normal matchday price ticket. Technology and process is already in place to facilitate this because you can do it for concessionary tickets, just not full price adult STs. I’d happily pay the difference on Junior’s ST to be able to take a mate who’s only going to go once a year rather than have an empty seat next to me.

Having a one off match day solution might be an answer but if the issue is cost - then isn't something like this also quite pricey ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Having a one off match day solution might be an answer but if the issue is cost - then isn't something like this also quite pricey ?
For me the issue isn't cost, it is having to be a sales agent for albion+ which is something I can't be bothered to do.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For me the issue isn't cost, it is having to be a sales agent for albion+ which is something I can't be bothered to do.

This is, I think, the main issue. I would guess that following the push back they'll probably just subtly incorporate any costs of running the system into the increase in the ST price next year. Or sell another player.

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
£67M losses - fans expect Tony Bloom to keep propping us up with Millions / Hundreds of Millions - and fans moan about £20. If I was Tony Bloom I'd wonder is it worth it

To be honest, rather than PB trying to squeeze every pound of flesh from everyone of us, I would much rather we spent within our means and not pay unmorally high wages for men to run around a field. If that means playing in the Championship and Tony Bloom not losing any money then fine by me. I just want entertaining football with goals, win, lose or draw. The journey to the premier league was amazing, but being in it not so much for me.

Let's not make those in the trough richer - just manage the balance sheet, reduce all these barriers to watching a football match and what will be will be. Make it easy and fun again

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I don’t know……can’t speak for everyone else, but paying an extra £10-12 a couple of times a season to take a mate seems reasonable to me and would be a good solution. The really daft thing is if junior was still on a student/child ticket I could do that (and did) - but because he’s an adult I can’t. Sure there must be large numbers of pairs/groups of adults in the same position.

When I suggested this I was essentially told it ‘wasn’t necessary because we have a good sharing scheme in place’. :shrug:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Can you imagine the posts on here if the club had introduced digital ticketing but not put in any method of sharing season tickets?

Or

Card season tickets had remained but Covid comes along and ID checking introduced making it “dangerous” to give your ticket to someone.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To be honest, rather than PB trying to squeeze every pound of flesh from everyone of us, I would much rather we spent within our means and not pay unmorally high wages for men to run around a field. If that means playing in the Championship and Tony Bloom not losing any money then fine by me. I just want entertaining football with goals, win, lose or draw. The journey to the premier league was amazing, but being in it not so much for me.

Let's not make those in the trough richer - just manage the balance sheet, reduce all these barriers to watching a football match and what will be will be. Make it easy and fun again

Apart from I enjoy seeing us up against best sides there are many negatives. Does seem like apart from supporters it is just a gravy train for players and senior staff, Not sure if correct but PBs income trebled since in PL. Can see why we lose money if these increases have gone down the line

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If we lived within our means I'm not even sure we be in any of the top four divisions!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we lived within our means I'm not even sure we be in any of the top four divisions!!!

I reckon we'd break even yo-yo ing between the Championship and League 1. It seems like the model we're aiming for is to mitigate operating losses by development and selling a player every year or 2. I think that we might achieve break even for the current season with the 50m in for Ben White. It all depends on how much the player amortisation costs have increased. We've brought in Mwepu and Cucurella which will add about 8m per year, but also no longer have contract amortisation costs of Izzy, Ali J, Ryan and Propper, which may well cancel them out - particularly Izzy and Ali J.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
You crack on Mr Barber. But the ST sharing fiasco is to blame and you know it.

It may be a factor in some empty seats at some matches but certainly not for Wolves game. I went to Wolves game but many I know did not (including my wife) for covid reasons.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
It may be a factor in some empty seats at some matches but certainly not for Wolves game. I went to Wolves game but many I know did not (including my wife) for covid reasons.

Of course. It didn't account for 10k empty seats but it did for many.

No game has been full this season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It boils down to that age old question, does action/events on the pitch drive the crowd, or do the crowd have to get going first to inspire the players to raise their game?

My personal view has always been that the team performance drives it. So many times over the last 11 seasons you see a rocking Amex pre match, killed within 15 minutes as the opponents frustrate, look so assured defensively, visibly grow a foot each and/or the Brighton players come out half asleep.

This isn’t a pick on Brighton observation. Anfield on Saturday afternoons pre-Klopp was often dead, you could hear individual voices, away chants. Frustrations as opponents came to kill the game. Still nothing like an evening game, but Klopp’s attack from everywhere game, has transformed everything. Emirates is another good example, 10 years of anger and apathy in the stands from a club in decline on the playing side = silence, empty seats.

[As an aside, interesting that PB mentions a rocking Villa Park. I didn’t go. But to a poster, everyone on nsc laughed about a near silent Villa Park for the entire game until Watkins scored. That’s some difference of interpretation!!].

How do you fix a dead Amex? Goals.

Imho.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Blimey that's a really lame response from Mr B, if he can't see what's obvious then sorry then he's either delusional or unwilling to accept the scheme is a mistake that he's ultimately signed off to.

The full stadium at Leeds and Liverpool means either there's no covid oop North or these two clubs don't have this sharing scheme in situ, I'd wager it's not the first option.

Sort it out Mr B, admitting a mistake and rectifying it is so much better than making lame excuses to cover the mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here