Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls fan in Balham?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, I lived in Fernside Road in 1985. Opposite Paul Downton, the England wicket-keeper.

Small world innit?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gwylan said:

Amen Corner is also a 60s band (If paradise is half as nice...) but I think you'd have to be a certain age to remember that.

Which I am. There is also an Amen Corner in Leeds

which adds nothing to a thread about Balham...

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Gwylan said:
Blimey, I lived in Fernside Road in 1985. Opposite Paul Downton, the England wicket-keeper.

Small world innit?

Amazing. I didn't know about Paul Downton either.

I'd just moved to London for the first time and was terrified walking past the Balham Hotel every night cos it was well dodgy.

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
I was in Balham this morning having come from the bird's house........but no scarf on. Lived above the laundrette by Balham tube, on way to the Tup, for about 4 years, as of last year now of Wimbledon unfortunately. Am in mourning for The Bedford as no pub can compare. All very interesting I know, but still doesn't solve the mystery scarfer!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dr Schnell who is an infrequent poster on here is a Balham Boy. Maybe it was him

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Frank Dux said:
I was in Balham this morning having come from the bird's house........but no scarf on. Lived above the laundrette by Balham tube, on way to the Tup, for about 4 years, as of last year now of Wimbledon unfortunately. Am in mourning for The Bedford as no pub can compare. All very interesting I know, but still doesn't solve the mystery scarfer!

You don't drive in a Ford Fiesta do you? Or live in West Wimbledon? You're not my mate Kev are you? Or are you that teenager I keep seeing in the bat away shirt?

There's loads of Albion in Wimbledon.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Frank Dux said:

Ahh 'The Bedford' - quality pub which even has a comedy club!

I think all of us London lot should meet there for drinks one night and get to know each other. All descend on the premises wearing blue and white!

Marvelous scenes! :clap2:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
There's loads of Albion in Wimbledon.

There certainly is, although there'll be one less once my office moves to Canary Wharf in two weeks' time.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
The owner of The Bedford, Chris Scholey, is on pretty good terms with the company I work for and he's always inviting us down to the Banana Cabaret. A London meet-up (South West Branch) could easily be arranged I think.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I think The Bedford (my nearest pub) is Evening Standard Pub of the Year 2003, isn't it?

Dunno how though. Prefer the Duke or Exhibit myself.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bloody hell, this thread has been a revelation!

I live just down from Tooting lido - I tend to watch the games in the small part of The Bedford...now that it's won awards, it's getting a bit more 'rugby and internationals and Man U / Arsenal only'. Shame.

I did bump into another Seagull in The Bedford a couple of seasons ago - quite tall, dark hair, glasses. I'm not gay although all this does sound like the lonely hearts bit in Time Out...

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
crasher said:
Amazing. I didn't know about Paul Downton either.

I'd just moved to London for the first time and was terrified walking past the Balham Hotel every night cos it was well dodgy.

Fernside Rd was a hell sporty area. Apart from PD, Somerset's Darren Foster's sponsored car was parked there (so I assume DF lived there, long way from Taunton). Paul Ackford the England lock forward also lived at the end of the road.

The Balham was great, used to be our local. Was there once when a geezer had a heart attack, the paramedics came and carried him out and life in the pub just went on, the band just continued playing.

We received a letter from the Tory candidate once asking us to support a petition to get the Balham closed down as there was so much drug-dealing going on there. We wrote back asking where we were meant to buy our blow in future.
:)

Happy days; was never the same once it closed down and became the Tup.

Can't believe there are so many Seagulls fans in the area. Why have I not seen any around when I go down to Withdean? I've travelled back with Wozza a few times and I remember meeting someone from Earlsfield at the Bristol City away game two seasons ago, but (until yesterday) I've not seen a Seagulls shirt/scarf in the area.

I think a meet-up is called for. I agree with Wozza, the Duke of D is far better than the Bedford. What's the new Indian restaurant next to the DoD like?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gwylan said:

I think a meet-up is called for. I agree with Wozza, the Duke of D is far better than the Bedford. What's the new Indian restaurant next to the DoD like?

I can just visualise it. All these men walking in to the pub and looking around thinking, Which ones are Seagulls?'

Liz Costa had little blue and white ribbons you can pin on your jackets for the Falmer campaign. I'm sure she'd let you have a few for instant recognition. ;)
:lolol:

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
Always watch the Albion in the Falcon by CJ when they are on (I was the one with the two glum Plymouth fans recently) Agree Duke of Dev is a superb pub, New Years Eve in there was superb. Latchmere in Battersea is another good one to watch football in.

On another note, as there are so may seagulls around. I play for a team called BoC on thursday nights at Battersea Park from 7-8, we have a block booking & just play friendlies against different teams each week. If there is enough interest, perhaps we could get a Albion fans XI to play. Sign on here if you fancy it & if there are enough people perhaps we could sort out a BoC versus the super stripes game one thursday - Post Match drinking in the Duke of Cambridge (by Battersea Park) is obligatory. Don't worry about standard, is pretty good football wise but fitness not so, ages of players range from about 29 (me) to over 50.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I live up Norf, but i'd be in for Battersea football. Played there a few times before.

My Albion-loving mate Charlie lives in Balham. He hasn't got that hair though.
Hmmm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here