Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls eye triple swoop

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
i hope its not arismendi i didnt rate him and i thought he was rubbish

I'll take the 3 mentioned AND Arismendi if Gus wants him. Arismendi was a very good player before he came to the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if our Spanish speaking coaching staff didn't get the best out of him! (and yes, I did see Arismendi play last season)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Lua Lua is the big one. Won't find another player like him. Must sign.

Barnes is a strange one. I haven't been that impressed by his general technical ability and he doesn't strike me as a particulalrly intelligent striker, but... it's hard to argue against his goalscoring record for us in the brief time he was here. Wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't be annoyed if we don't get him.

Hendre I'm not convinced has the drive to succeed anymore.

themightyalbion

Mar 28, 2010
Match fit Hendrie for me too. Good pre season under his belt he will be a class act in this division Has played at a very good level and will add that experienced style that we need.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Lua Lua is a phenomenal player with bags of potential. Getting his signature, either permanently, or on a long loan, would be great news for the club.

Barnes has done enough to convince me that he is worth a contract although whether he is good enough to bag the required 20+ goals a season remains to be seen. I rather doubt it.

I'd like to think that Hendrie is worth a deal but his best days are probably well behind him and I sense that we could get a better player, who is younger and fitter, for less money than Hendrie would want.

But as Meat Loaf used to say (and I assume still does) - two out of three ain't bad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Assuming we sign Sparrow, the signing of Hendrie will depend on whether Poyet believes they can play together in central midfield. There is no point signing two similar players in that position. I think he looked unfit and didn't last 90 minutes last season but you could see that his touch and vision were a class above when he got the chance to show it. With a full pre season behind him, I would be happy with signing him.

I was very impressed with Barnes at the end of last season and thought he had a real eye for goal. I think we need to sign three strikers as sadly I don't think Holroyd will make it and Dickinson and Davies will probably move on. If Barnes was one of those then that would be good but we do need to spend a bit of money (either on signing on fee or transfer fee) to get a top class striker at this level too.

As for Lua Lua, it would be great to have him back as I haven't been so excited when a player receives the ball since Zamora was here. If we can get him for the season, that would be great.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Assuming we sign Sparrow, the signing of Hendrie will depend on whether Poyet believes they can play together in central midfield. There is no point signing two similar players in that position. I think he looked unfit and didn't last 90 minutes last season but you could see that his touch and vision were a class above when he got the chance to show it. With a full pre season behind him, I would be happy with signing him.

I was very impressed with Barnes at the end of last season and thought he had a real eye for goal. I think we need to sign three strikers as sadly I don't think Holroyd will make it and Dickinson and Davies will probably move on. If Barnes was one of those then that would be good but we do need to spend a bit of money (either on signing on fee or transfer fee) to get a top class striker at this level too.

As for Lua Lua, it would be great to have him back as I haven't been so excited when a player receives the ball since Zamora was here. If we can get him for the season, that would be great.

Sparrow and Hendrie are not the same type of player. Sparrow box to box midfielder like Crofts. Hendrie gets the ball down and looks to play it and unlocks defences with splitting passes. No reason at all why they couldn't play together with a defensive midfielder behind them

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sparrow and Hendrie are not the same type of player. Sparrow box to box midfielder like Crofts. Hendrie gets the ball down and looks to play it and unlocks defences with splitting passes. No reason at all why they couldn't play together with a defensive midfielder behind them

Unless we want to play 4-4-2. I think that 4-5-1 worked last season when we were trying to survive but, unless we get another Zamora, we will need two up front next season. Therefore Sparrow would have to do a lot of defensive work to cover. I don't know if he has played that role so am just saying that will affect the decision on Hendrie.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would have thought that either Dicker or Navarro could adequately fill the defensive midfield role and allow Hendrie to sit in the middle and Sparrow to be the box to box man a l a Croft and before him Hammond.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I was hoping for 3 unknown players:moo:
These are players we had last season so not sure what to think although i love lua lua:thumbsup:

Think we can get better than barnes???
Hendrie could be a very good signing:thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Hendrie, for me, has the flimsy body of a boy struggling through the first couple of steps of puberty. He has a keen enough eye for movement and can swivel a bit for a smidgeon of space, but i worry he's too easily brushed aside for football at this level where charging and bullishness are vital components to most players. Not that sure he'sthe rightest man for the job.
Barnes is a goalscorer from last season's evidence, moreso naturally than the Muzza who's more workhorsey. A good signing i reckon if achieveable.
Lua Lua i'd be happy to have. Erratic but exciting.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Hendrie, for me, has the flimsy body of a boy struggling through the first couple of steps of puberty. He has a keen enough eye for movement and can swivel a bit for a smidgeon of space, but i worry he's too easily brushed aside for football at this level where charging and bullishness are vital components to most players. Not that sure he'sthe rightest man for the job.
Barnes is a goalscorer from last season's evidence, moreso naturally than the Muzza who's more workhorsey. A good signing i reckon if achieveable.
Lua Lua i'd be happy to have. Erratic but exciting.

What a cracking post - I particularly like the newly created word 'workhorsey', it's up there with 'bouncebackability' as far as I'm concerned.

You're right though - Hendrie has got the same physique as he had when breaking in to the England/Villa team as a youngster. The guy has shifted from team to team in the last five or six years with no impact whatsoever.

You have to question why he's gone on such a downward spiral - from playing with Villa in the Prem about five years ago - to Stoke, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Blackpool, Derby, and now to Brighton in the space of a few years?

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
no news of signings today then? do u think they are likely to be named tomorrow morning if they are meant to be here for start of pre season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
no news of signings today then? do u think they are likely to be named tomorrow morning if they are meant to be here for start of pre season?

Not much normally happens at weekends. Really hoping there will be a few signings tomorrow to lift the England gloom. Less than six weeks until the new season now and that's more important than international football anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here