Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seafront Parade

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brovian said:
True, however the other times when we went up as runners-up or worse we didn't make a big song-and-dance about it - 1979 being the exception.
I don't see any harm in the club making a song and dance about promotion though. It raises the clubs profile in the city, generates interest, and its an excuse to get the kiddies decked out in blue and white, thrust a flag in their hand, tear them away from the Playstation and get them out supporting their local team. Us grown ups can be cynical about it and take the "we only went up through the Playoffs so whats there to celebrate ?" attitude, but the kids are more likely to just enjoy these occasions on face value - and I saw a lot of happy kids there yesterday.

This kind of event brings the club closer to the fans. So what if we wern't actually champions. So what if its months after the event. We shouldn't need much of an excuse to celebrate our successes with the team.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Easy 10 said:
I don't see any harm in the club making a song and dance about promotion though. It raises the clubs profile in the city, generates interest, and its an excuse to get the kiddies decked out in blue and white, thrust a flag in their hand, tear them away from the Playstation and get them out supporting their local team. Us grown ups can be cynical about it and take the "we only went up through the Playoffs so whats there to celebrate ?" attitude, but the kids are more likely to just enjoy these occasions on face value - and I saw a lot of happy kids there yesterday.

This kind of event brings the club closer to the fans. So what if we wern't actually champions. So what if its months after the event. We shouldn't need much of an excuse to celebrate our successes with the team.

Go on Easy 10, spot on! Brilliant seeing all the kids wearing the stripes on Brighton seafront!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fair point Easy, I guess mine are at the age (16 and 11) where they don't need to do that and I don't need to make them dom it to 'cement' them as Albion fans. Neither of them expressed any interest in going and they both went to the previous parades - and as they both went to Cardiff they did feel it was a bit 'ancient history'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My two are 8 and 12, and their tender minds are still highly absorbent to my brainwashing techniques...

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Yorkie said:
I'm not sure it was poorly advertised. It has been in the Argus, the Leader and on the official site for a few day now.

I agree with Tom Hark.

It could only be now because we didn't know we were going to win at Bristol, heck, we didn't even know we were going to beat Swindon; and so holidays had already been booked etc.

It was the council who decided we were going to have a parade and this was the first opportunity there was.

I don't care about the numbers. I went there because I haven't been to one before. I saw the team and clapped and cheered, thoroughly enjoying myself doing so.

As said before, it was great to see so many youngsters there. In 20 years time I may still be able to go to matches or I may not but these youngsters will remember these days.

I agree with you about the youngsters. My 15year old daughter has never been interested in football but she came on Sunday and enjoyed herself. She may come to a couple of games with me this season.

Hopefully there will be many others as well

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The council offer a civic reception so are the club going to turn it down, knowing we have to keep them onside for any other planning applications we may have to try and get?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
The council offer a civic reception so are the club going to turn it down, knowing we have to keep them onside for any other planning applications we may have to try and get?

Yes. If they aren't bothered enough to offer it at the right time, they clearly don't get it anyway. 2,000 people on a rainswept seafront isn't helping Falmer. It's just embarrassing. And we can't spend our entire lives, Albion-related or otherwise, only worried about keeping people onside, you never get anything done that way.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I appear to have been subject to a group NSC fladgelation and stoning for having the teremity of asking searching questions why people did not come along. I agree with Tooting that yesterday could have been a PR shot in the foot.

I still stand by the fact - the parade was to celebrate Albion getting promoted to div 1 which is hardly an everyday occurance and I still don't understand why people couldn't be bother to go.

Awaits flaming and group fladgellation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gareth Glover said:
I still stand by the fact - the parade was to celebrate Albion getting promoted to div 1 which is hardly an everyday occurance and I still don't understand why people couldn't be bother to go.

Not at all. I can understand why many people couldn't be bothered to go to this one, and as I said earier, no-one has to justify themselves.

It was still a worthwhile exercise though in my opinion. Those who went along seemed to enjoy themselves, and we got lucky (in the end) with the weather. It was great seeing so many youngsters around the seafront and city centre wearing the stripes. Nothing BAD has come of yesterday, so where's the harm ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
I appear to have been subject to a group NSC fladgelation and stoning for having the teremity of asking searching questions why people did not come along. I agree with Tooting that yesterday could have been a PR shot in the foot.

f*** SAKE.

Maybe people had better things to do? I fancied a lie in instead of going down because I was KNACKERED, is that such a crime? If you wanna go down to the parade on a Sunday and celebrate promotion then WELL f***ing DONE. I did my clebrating in Cardiff and for the couple of days afterwards. What I do with my Sundays is my perogative if you don't mind.

Sorry for being a lazy good for nothing who doesn't care about the club anymore.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
f*** SAKE.

Maybe people had better things to do? I fancied a lie in instead of going down because I was KNACKERED, is that such a crime? If you wanna go down to the parade on a Sunday and celebrate promotion then WELL f***ing DONE. I did my clebrating in Cardiff and for the couple of days afterwards. What I do with my Sundays is my perogative if you don't mind.

Sorry for being a lazy good for nothing who doesn't care about the club anymore.

Palace splitter.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It simply won't do Chapman, in future get your arse out of bed you good for nothing layabout.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
my girlfriend was giving birth whilst my house was on fire and I had to take the cat to the vets en route to collect my Lotto winnings of £3.3mil from the previous night and I had to collect my dad from the Airport........i TRIED to get out of it all for the Parade but alas I could'nt! :nono:

There ya go GG

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not good enough Crabtree.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Actually it's nobody's business but their own whether they got to the parade or not and I can't see the need to put people on the defensive about it. It's not some definitive measure of loyalty, FFS.

I can see a a "Half-time at Hartlepool" competition coming on at this rate....

Last edited:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
I fully admit that the reason I didn't go yesterday was the crap weather. Put me right off. Have been soaked so many times at Withdean doing my duty supporting the lads that I just felt this wasn't the be all end all of the Albion. The players who experienced the previous parades were probably quick to explain to the newer ones that this was not a "normal" turnout. As has been said before the fans will be there in abundance when it matters most, including me, no matter how hard it rains.

Yesterday was for the true fans. The ones that follow the club up and down the country. The people that think nothing of leaving their house in the pouring rain on a Sunday morning to support their club.

These are the people that Brighton & Hove Albion need. These are the people that Dick Knight was talking personally to yesterday when he said they had saved the club.

I was a little disappointed that a few more people didn't turn up yesterday, but I took comfort in the fact that the people that were there were there because they WANTED to be there, and not because they thought it would be fun to tag along with something successful.

For me it was a proud day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here