Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seafront Parade

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Gareth Glover said:
Tom - spot on as usual. The lethargy and couldn't be bothered attitude has suprised me somewhat. Hell, even Mrs Glover got her arse out of bed on her day off this morning and came along to cheer the boys in the rain.

Some of the people here need to have a long hard look at themselves in the mirror imho.

Careful mate...you'll upset the people who "have a life!"

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I have to say that I didn't know that we had a parade today.Why now seems a bit odd.If I'm like other supporters then the fact that the parade was poorly advertised might be the reason why only a few thousand turned up.What a shame.:ohmy:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm not sure it was poorly advertised. It has been in the Argus, the Leader and on the official site for a few day now.

I agree with Tom Hark.

It could only be now because we didn't know we were going to win at Bristol, heck, we didn't even know we were going to beat Swindon; and so holidays had already been booked etc.

It was the council who decided we were going to have a parade and this was the first opportunity there was.

I don't care about the numbers. I went there because I haven't been to one before. I saw the team and clapped and cheered, thoroughly enjoying myself doing so.

As said before, it was great to see so many youngsters there. In 20 years time I may still be able to go to matches or I may not but these youngsters will remember these days.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Too right about the youngsters, Yorkie... my 2 boys were at Cardiff and the parade this AM, and there were many other kids present today... gotta start 'em young, or they may stray to the dark side! - ManUre or similar...

I even got them a season ticket to share next season (couldn't afford one each)...

The indoctrination programme has begun...

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Gareth Glover said:

Some of the people here need to have a long hard look at themselves in the mirror imho.

I wish you would...

btw, have the play off final tickets sold out yet?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:clap2: , Basil Fawlty needn't worry.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Gareth Glover said:
Tom - spot on as usual. The lethargy and couldn't be bothered attitude has suprised me somewhat. Hell, even Mrs Glover got her arse out of bed on her day off this morning and came along to cheer the boys in the rain.

It's a great shame the numbers were so low. I'm afraid I didn't get along to the parade either so have to share some of the collective guilt.

But before slating the absentees for their total disinterest and lethargy, consider this alternative - that when these backsliders made other arrangements for the 18th July they had not assumed their plans were going to conflict with a victory parade held to celebrate a promotion gained on the 30th May.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:

Such a drama queen GG, and such a plum at times

I went today because I hadn't been to the others due to various different reasons, pleased I went, but to have a pop at others Mr Glover for not going is just childish and un-necessary :nono:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Indeed Mr Ninja, I think Mr Glover should save his vitriol for the absenteeism that will prevail if we are having a mediocre season at say Derby on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter.

We have all celebrated in some form this close season, but a hell of a lot of us are looking ahead to the season to come.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
I don't live in Sussex so don't know how much publicity there was about this Parade but as Mrs Inkerman & I walked around Brighton in the afternoon, resplendent in out shirts, we were asked on several occassions - by people with southern accents - "was there a game today?, why so many people in shirts?".
Seems to suggest that it wasn't very widely publicised.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Rougvie said:
Indeed Mr Ninja, I think Mr Glover should save his vitriol for the absenteeism that will prevail if we are having a mediocre season at say Derby on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter.

3rd November = "middle of winter"??? Possibly! - but it's a Wednesday. :dunce:

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
to have a pop at others Mr Glover for not going is just childish and un-necessary

Totally agree. This was the first parade I have been to. I resent being criticised by implication for not having been to the others.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Must admit I wavered this morning when I saw it was pissing down with rain. In the end I thought "bollocks, I'm going" and left at about 11.10am for the pier. Thought I'd be "smart" and use a couple of parking vouchers up off the back of Western Rd, ignorant of the fact that its all bloody "residents only" parking now. Shit. Time getting on then, I ploughed down to the seafront road and crawled along to the Churchill Square car park. Finally got there and spent 25 mins trawling around trying to find a space, till courtesy of several tubs of vaseline I finally shoe-horned my beloved Rover into a gap which threatened my wing mirrors every inch of the way.

Bolted down to the pier, worryingly walking past loads of stripes walking in the opposite direction, and got to Madeira Drive at about 12.30. Just as things were wrapping up. Stood around like a fifth wheel, saw Mendoza walk past with Fatboy and Poke. Considered saying hello but then thought they looked too young and hip so just left it. Had a couple of Kronies on the pier and sparked up a bbq at home.

Sorry Albion, I tried. Mind you, it didn't look a patch on the other two.

Personally I didn't know about it till this morning when I rang my dad and he said there might be one today. He lives in Brighton reads the Argus and still wasn't sure. Still, he is 78 so he has an excuse.

Personally, I went to the last two cos we won the title and were Champions. As for this one, well, we all celebrated it at Cardiff didn't we?

I also don't think I need to look at myself in the mirror, either gareth. I have a picture of myself attached to the side of the computer screen.........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, don't worry about it. It was what it was.
Forget about expecting huge crowds lining the streets - the two occasions before were unique in their own way. The first time cos it was the first time we'd won ANYTHING in living memory (and in our Centeinary season to boot), and the second time cos it was such a fantastic shock and achievement to go straight through and win D2 at the first attempt.

Both those Championship parades were very special for their own reasons, and took place shortly after the season had ended. This time was a bit more low key, but so what ? Those who went will have enjoyed it, and I saw a lot of youngsters there who looked like they'd really enjoyed themselves. Its understandable if many other fans thought "naah, not worth it" - fair enough. We wern't champions, and the bubbly had gone flat since the end of May.

But at least this city has a team to be PROUD of, and we've had the opportunity to come out in our numbers and express it on an incredibly regular basis !! Success can have some l-o-n-g gaps, so make the most of it when we DO have a bit of success, and get the opportunity to celebrate as a city with the team. You never know how long it'll be before we get the chance again, so best not take it for granted.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
went down,saw the boys,went to the marina,watched Shrek 2,chilled out with a beer whilst drawling at the million pound yachts.Luv it.:clap:

Albion Rob

I have to say I didn't go either. A mix of time constraints coming about from working in Kent this evening mixed with the fact that it is a pig getting to Brighton, then parking then going to it then getting out again and hurtling back down the A27.

Added to this is the fact that pre-season has already started so people can see the lads whenever they want. I think it has something to do with mindset. In the past it was: "Well done lads, now enjoy a hard-earned summer break and come back healthy" whereas this time it's: "You boys best be staying off the bloody beers, it's a long season ahead and we need to be tip top."

And as for the players, well, they are payed pretty well for being employees of the club so I see no reason why they should not be there.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It gos as read that all on NSC are Loyal Albion through and through, didn;t mean to offend anyone, see you at Withdean in August !.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just has a piece on the TV, looked a reasonable crowd based on that. Maybe I expect too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here