Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumhampton on fire

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's far too soon after only 3 games to be cocky about automatic promotion but with their resources and confidence Southampton really should be up there and will have no excuse come May. Will watch that one with interest.

As we have already seen this season there are teams out there in the Championship who are very physical not least Pompey who were so blatantly agricultural in looking to take out the opposition players all across the pitch. Won't be long before these teams have Lallana and Cork in their sights. Last season showed just how fallible they were without Lallana.

Meanwhile it is pleasing that we are more than keeping up for now in spite of our smaller squad and that we still have yet to field the same team in any of our games. I will continue to quietly hope for a top six finish, anything above that will be a great bonus. There are a few other Championship teams that have yet to hit the ground running so the other real contenders have yet to emerge.

deadpanmatt

Aug 18, 2011
I was just on my usual Saints forum and saw something about some Brighton fans having a problem with Saints so I googled some forums and ended up here. I have no idea why some of you have a problem with us. As far as I'm concerned the more southern clubs we have higher up the leagues the better. I don't even really have a problem with Pompey, only the 'Scummers' mentality that comes from some fans. If Saints had gone under a few years ago I would probably be going to Brighton games right now, as they're my second team down south.

I can't really understand the negativity that comes from some users on this site. Apparently a little comment made by our 'arrogant' manager has wound some of you up. I can understand that, especially since Poyet is of the same breed! Best of luck to Brighton this season. I hope that we can both go up and show Pompey how to operate within a club's means in the Premiership.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Self appointed? Lets not pretend they aren't the biggest team in the south, because they are. 27 years unbroken in the top division, an FA Cup win, a cup final appearance and some semis, finished 2nd in the league in the 80s, European campains and have employed some proper England internationals. They now have a stadium holding 32,000, got 3 crowds over 28,000 last season in league one where they averaged more than our ground (or Portsmouth's) even currently hold. They've had maybe two seasons in 20 seasons where gates were both shit and well under capactity, and that was because Ian Branfoot was a clown. And what club hasn't had a season or two of underwhelming attendances in that time?

Since 1950, Portsmouth have been a nothing club by comparison. One cup win and another cup final appearance, all paid for by cheating. They are much more like us than Southampton, and now heading in the wrong direction with their tiny shit squad and ramshackle ground that only holds 20,000. It'll be their turn to play "derbies" with Bournemouth soon.

Way back in the depths of time Pompey were one of the country's top clubs though, with league titles and 40,000+ crowds. Saints have never done that, and I'd bet my house they never will. And they too have been guilty of 'cheating' , I think they've been in admin once or twice in the past few years. Who knows what gates Pompey would get with a half-decent ground, ours have certainly sky-rocketed.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Way back in the depths of time Pompey were one of the country's top clubs though, with league titles and 40,000+ crowds. Saints have never done that, and I'd bet my house they never will. And they too have been guilty of 'cheating' , I think they've been in admin once or twice in the past few years. Who knows what gates Pompey would get with a half-decent ground, ours have certainly sky-rocketed.

During the war, when the rest of the country was fighting in France and Germany.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I was just on my usual Saints forum and saw something about some Brighton fans having a problem with Saints so I googled some forums and ended up here. I have no idea why some of you have a problem with us. As far as I'm concerned the more southern clubs we have higher up the leagues the better. I don't even really have a problem with Pompey, only the 'Scummers' mentality that comes from some fans. If Saints had gone under a few years ago I would probably be going to Brighton games right now, as they're my second team down south.

I can't really understand the negativity that comes from some users on this site. Apparently a little comment made by our 'arrogant' manager has wound some of you up. I can understand that, especially since Poyet is of the same breed! Best of luck to Brighton this season. I hope that we can both go up and show Pompey how to operate within a club's means in the Premiership.

I think it is an extremely small minority mainly from people on the internet
Have always liked Southampton myself and don't know any Brighton fans that have a problem with your club
People decipher and scrutinize manager's words far too much especially things that are said on the spur of the moment

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Count the number of negative comments about your club on this thread, it's actually not that many and people who were around in '78 I can fully understand why they have a problem with you. You can probably assume that the other 500 or so regular users of this site don't really give a shit one way or the other.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Your signature is quite clearly very apt. It is quite obvious you don't know anything. The fact we scored five was down to their poor defending, not the movement of our front four tearing them a new one.

That's exactly what I said :shrug:

Watch the replays. Their defenders are standing there like statues for every goal. Just thread a single pass between any two of the dummies and you score. Ipswich defence makes Peterboro defence look good.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yeah the 1940's they had the odd 40k crowd and averaged 37k a couple of times,but thats 70 odd years ago:lolol:

Cheers - personally I've always felt more of an affinity with Southampton in the past, than an aggressive rivalry. A bit of banter is no big deal, but if there's more wind-ups and blahblahblah than that, I can only suggest that it's from one or two isolated tongue-to-window cleaners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here