Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scumbag Cyclist Gets £2,200 Fine For Killing Girl He Could Have Avoided

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excuse my French

f***ing arrogant cuunt yelled '"move because I'm not stopping". Wanker was on the footpath on his poxy five grand bike when he ploughed into 17 year old Rhiannon. Wanker should be in jail on manslaughter charges.

RIP Rhiannon :down:

Death cyclist fine angers family

Rhiannon died six days after hitting her head on the pavement
The family of a 17-year-old girl who died after being hit by a cyclist has described the £2,200 fine handed to the man who hit her as "laughable".

Father Mick Bennett said Jason Howard should have faced manslaughter charges and been jailed for several years over Rhiannon Bennett's death in April 2007.

Howard, 36, of Buckingham, was fined on Tuesday after being convicted of dangerous cycling in the town.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the charge was the most appropriate one.

During Howard's trial, Aylesbury magistrates heard he had shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping" before crashing into her.

Diana Bennett calls for a change in the law
Rhiannon died six days after hitting her head on the pavement as a result of the collision in Verney Close, Buckingham.

Following the verdict, Mr Bennett said: "It's laughable - when we first heard about this we thought it would be manslaughter, or perhaps even murder, but this is Britain.

"He is an arrogant, vile little man."

Rhiannon's mother, Diana, said: "Words cannot express how broken-hearted we are as a family.

"My daughter ended up dying for him having a bike ride."

Mrs Bennett told BBC Five Live that the law had let them down.

She said: "He shouted a warning. There's no need to shout a warning. He's on his bicycle, he should have veered round them but even on impact with Rhiannon, he didn't even brake.

"He was on the footpath, where she should have been safe."

'Tragic accident'

A CPS spokesperson said: "A file of evidence from the police was reviewed by a senior CPS prosecutor and, based on that evidence, it was decided the charge of dangerous cycling was the most appropriate.

"Each case is kept under continuous review and following correspondence with Rhiannon's family, the case was looked at before and after the inquest into Rhiannon's death, which returned a verdict of accidental death.

The court heard Howard could have swerved and avoided the collision

Cyclists 'don't obey road laws'

"It was decided that the charge of dangerous cycling was the appropriate charge and there was insufficient evidence for more serious charges, such as manslaughter, to be pursued."

Sgt Dominic Mahon, of Thames Valley Police, told the BBC Howard could have been travelling at about 17mph (27km/h) when he struck Rhiannon, "imparting a great deal of force" on her.

Chris Thompson, Howard's solicitor, said: "It was a tragic accident that he will regret for the rest of his days. Jason understands how Rhiannon's family must be feeling at the moment."

Mr Thompson said he had advised Howard not to speak publicly on the matter until after civil proceedings had concluded.

"The family have said they intend to seek damages so we have to assume that a civil claim will follow," he said.

Mr Thompson said his client found comments made after the case by Rhiannon's father, Mick Bennett, "very upsetting".

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Dont get me wrong, Im sure that the VAST majority of cyclists are law obiding citizens but it is the MINORITY that think the law doesnt apply to them that are giving cyclists a bad name.

I got shouted at for nearly hitting a guy on a bike who had juped a red light! Not the wost thing that could have happened but it does prove a point!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Interestingly, the report i heard on the condascending joke that is Radio 1 "newsbeat" said that it is unclear whether she was on the pavement or not - which I notice has not been in reports attempting at a more emotional angle.

If its true that he shouted those words, then he sounds like a bit of a prick, but is there no such thing as an accident anymore? If there WAS evidence he deliberately hit her, then I am sure he'd have faced a different charge. I notice that no prosecutor/police officer has actually stated this. In addition, it really is tragic and a one in a million occurance that she died - an elderly woman stopped a Tour de France rider in his tracks today and got up again.

Do we believe in forgiveness and accidents as a society anymore, or should we just string up everyone? Easy for me to say I know but I do believe that in searching for blame, people are too quick to turn to anger against people who never in their wildest dreams intended what has happened.

Either way, very tragic and RIP. :(

that is sickening. cyclists are c.unts

?

As the AA said recently, there are bad drivers and there are bad cyclists, basically there are idiots out there, who are pedestrians. These then ride or drive or do both. They haven't just become bad drivers or cycle badly, it is because they don't care. So Bulldog and others do you think all drivers are wankers, all drunks are wankers, because they cause injuries. The list is endless.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a £5k bike that he also has a powerful car and is an idiot behind the wheel.

I have never been on a pavement in my life, nor, jumped a light!

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Lots of people get of similar charges all the time as you have to prove intent, without knowing the case it is hard to say if this is how he avoided a jail sentance.

Many drivers only get points for killing pedestrians and cyclists due to being unable to prove intent, however if he did shout out and refuse to stop I am surprised he was not convicted of a more serious crime.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I'm not defending the cyclist in any way, and fully believe he should have faced more serious charges, but I can't help thinking that if the news reported all the deaths that are caused by arrogant, cocky car drivers it would take up most of each and every TV and radio bulletin.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The guy should be banged up.
I am cyclist myself and I always obey the highway code, and I wish other cyclists would do the same.

Just the other day at the traffic lights I was crossing a cyclist went straight over the red light. I shouted at him.

There should be cycle lanes on all roads in this country end of.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not defending the cyclist in any way, and fully believe he should have faced more serious charges, but I can't help thinking that if the news reported all the deaths that are caused by arrogant, cocky car drivers it would take up most of each and every TV and radio bulletin.

I hate cocky motorists who cause death and injuries as well. :angry:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
As I read it ... the problem was that the inquest found the death to be "accidental".

That's powerful evidence for any defendant in a criminal trial for manslaughter.

Exactly.

No-one knows whether he struck her on the road or the pavement.

Also, would she be facing criminal proceedings if he'd died after being flung from his bike? Unlikely.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
that is sickening. cyclists are c.unts

this is another childish comment, I dont think the issue here is cycling, we're talking about the tragic death of a young girl, caused by ONE arsehole and 'the law' deciding that her life was worth £2,200.

NB my 19 year old nephew was ran over and killed by a car but I don't call every motorist a "c.unt"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Dont get me wrong, Im sure that the VAST majority of cyclists are law obiding citizens but it is the MINORITY that think the law doesnt apply to them that are giving cyclists a bad name.

I got shouted at for nearly hitting a guy on a bike who had juped a red light! Not the wost thing that could have happened but it does prove a point!!

I sound like a cyclist hater on here, always posting about it - but although it's a minority it's a sizable one, especially in London.

For me as a pedestrian, bad motorists don't tend to bother me, because where they could (in terms of pedestrian crossings and red lights) they very rarely break the law.

Cyclists do it all the time, all the bloody time - I witness it every single day in London.

Tonight I was crossing the road in Vauxhall and a cyclist thought nothing of just drifting in front of me.

Now - he was nowhere near me, but why can't cyclists understand the confusion this behavior causes to pedestrians, particularly tourists and the elderly.

I really hate the constant excuse (I actually confront them if I have the chance... :lolol:), that it was "safe" to do so. Safe to ME, is what they mean, f*** everyone else.

I've started walking along the Albert Embankment recently and was amazed to see that cyclist are allowed to share the pavement with pedestrians.

Probably works in Amsterdam (if you are riding something out of Mary Poppins), but in London someone on a racing bike tearing down there and ringing their bell so I get out the way is taking the piss.

I rang the council up last year about a dodgy crossing near me, where there was something wrong with the lights. Anyway, got onto the subject of cyclists in London with the bloke. He cycled to work, but admitted that the lack of road skills of a huge number of cyclists in London is shocking.

Since cycling is being encouraged, which is obviously a good thing - it's really time that the government started thinking about making cyclists take tests or at least have some kind of insurance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
but admitted that the lack of road skills of a huge number of cyclists in London is shocking.

I agree withn all that, but would just like to pick up on this point.
Its not a lack of "road skills" we're talking about when discussing these fuckers. more often than not, they have all the skills they need. They are fit, strong, good eyesight, understand the highway code, know exactly what they are doing - they havn't even got IGNORANCE as an excuse.

The culture of the average cyclist I see is thus: "f*** you - I'm getting where I need to go as quickly as possible, by whatever means. f*** your safety. f*** the Highway Code. f*** off out of my way."

In a nutshell, like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i read it yesturday (not in the piece quote here), he was cylcing on the pavement himself.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree withn all that, but would just like to pick up on this point.
Its not a lack of "road skills" we're talking about when discussing these fuckers. more often than not, they have all the skills they need. They are fit, strong, good eyesight, understand the highway code, know exactly what they are doing - they havn't even got IGNORANCE as an excuse.

The culture of the average cyclist I see is thus: "f*** you - I'm getting where I need to go as quickly as possible, by whatever means. f*** your safety. f*** the Highway Code. f*** off out of my way."

In a nutshell, like.

The problem I think is that many cyclists don't see themselves as being in charge of a vehicle, but simply a pedestrian on wheels.

Sorry, as soon as soon as you get on that thing you cease to be a pedestrian. The sooner a lot of them realise that the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here