Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCOTLAND - your recommendations?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry to pick up on one thing when I agree with everything else but I find Ben Nevis the most disappointing view in Scotland!

Yep, Born and Bred there, 20 miles in any direction from there is great but, agreed, BN is not too exciting.

Something to look at on the way past but the view from the top is something else.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Yep, Born and Bred there, 20 miles in any direction from there is great but, agreed, BN is not too exciting.

Something to look at on the way past but the view from the top is something else.

Never been up so I'll take your word! I find the biggest problem is that you can't actually see it/tell which one it is. Far more impressive mountains to be seen, Suilven in particular.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
...and Fort William is a dump. The new Morrisons is one of it's more attractive buildings. There's a great real ale pub there though.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Toured Scotland a few years ago. Started Edinburgh, across to Cairndow along to Andamurchan point (not worth the drive!) up through fort william and the other one above it, along loch ness, into Inverness, up to wick along to Ullapool through to Pitlochry and home.
Inverness was total crap. Eilean Dolan was amazing, they shot a scene from Highlander there!
Stunning countryside, if it weren't for the midges it would of been perfect.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I've been to Edinburgh for the fringe the last 2 years and i'm going again this year. Granted its a festival, but just being in Edinburgh as a city is amazing. I'd plan several trips. At least one to Edinburgh. Fringe or not depends on your taste but some of my best memories have been in Edinburgh.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Fly to Inverness, hire a car and drive along Loch Ness, spectacular views.
Not to far is Glenn Affric, turn right at Drumnadrochit, you won't be disapointed if you want walks and views.

DO NOT go in summer unless you want to be eaten alive by midges, no joke, they actually have a midge forecast on telly.

Absolutely this. I did a log cabin style week at the Glen Affric chalet park in Oct / Nov about 15 years ago and it was fantastic. Not too hot or cold, but the mist on the ground was beautiful with the sun rise in the morning. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fly to Aberdeen. There's whiskey trails ...
Not in Scotland there's not, although there will be whisky trails

Dollar Glen is a very nice walk.
Someone runs a hotel in Bridge of Allan which isn't too far away.

Beware. A mate of mine walked into a hotel bar in Bridge of Allan a couple of years ago and saw Andy Mad Dog Kennedy drinking there.

We had our holiday in Scotland last year and thought it was a brilliant place. We were by Loch Lomond, which was stunning. I heartily recommend the West Highland Railway which has some of the best views you can imagine.

Do heed the advice about the midges though - they're everywhere

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
edible delight: kippers. and of course whiskey, make sure you take in a distillary tour.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Firstly it still is a proud nation, if your'e not taking the micky with that comment then here's my suggestion which can be done in a week. If you are capable of driving then fly into Glasgow, hire a car then my suggested route would be to head up the West Coast returning down the East Coast. Travelling up the West coast the first thing you'll find is Loch Lomond approx 35-40 miles from Glasgow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDee-mHMdwY Lovely hotels and B&B's scattered around there and quite possibly one of the worlds greatest sights.

Moving on, northwards head for For Fort William, with Ben Nevis in the background, quite stunning and just on the outskirts is the statue of The Royal Highlanders. I cant describe it but be rest assured you'll shed a tear reading the messages and what these men did for our freedom, simply beggars belief. For the record just before you get to Fort William, look out for the lone piper amongst the mountain roads, he's there every day..

Now from there you'll pass Glen Coe and enter into Loch Ness territory, it's quite amazing, it starts from a little bridge to the vast water Loch that is there. Again its up to you and your overnight agenda's but this is one place if you cant win a girls heart, then you never will. Do take the boat trip to see Nessie, we know the truth but the Yanks, Japs and even the Spanish hang on the captains word.

From there head to Inverness, beautiful place, lovely people and a great selection of bars and restaurants. Lots of B&B's, you'll fall in love with the place.

Heading south I recommend staying the night in Stirling for its castle, museums etc, again plenty of restaurants, bars, accommodation. Then head to Edinburgh, don't think I need to go into this really.

Then head back to Glasgow, if you haven't done it at the front end of your holiday then try to take the time to visit its many restaurants, bars and for the lady a great selection of shops, some of the best in Europe.

Now I'm going to be annoyed with myself letting this nugget out but if you have time left, drive to Addrossan just North of Ayr and take the ferry to Brodick Bay on the Isle of Arran. Seriously, if you can do it you'll see the Deer on the mountains amongst the other wild animals and beautiful scenery. Takes approx 2 1/2 hours to drive round the island. I love it so much, its where I want to be laid to rest when my numbers up.

Hope that helps, there's so much more but a week is nowhere near enough

Regards

Jimbo

I agree with this route, but me being me I will pick up Jimbo on the fact that Glen Coe is passed before you get to Fort William not after, sorry Jimbo. If you have the time after leaving Fort William head out to Skye and Eileen Dolan Castle for a visit. Then travel via Inverness and Pitlochrie is also worth a visit ( Edradour, the smallest but beautifully set whisky distillery in Scotland is nearby). Stirling castle has some stunning views on offer. Edinburgh is the most beautiful city in the UK IMO and a must visit if you haven't been before! If you get the chance whilst there go and say hi to Hamish the Highland cow at Callendar Woolen Mill. Nice quaint Scottish Town known as the gateway to the Highlands! Good luck I love Scotland!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here