Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCOTLAND - your recommendations?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Found Dumfries and Galloway to be fine area,s but the be fair the borders is worth a visit in itself. Been to Pennan (Film set for Local Hero village/harbour scenes) spent a week there great area. Just one word of warning think carefully on how you intend to drive there,you won't enjoy driving it in a day !!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The midges are at their worst in July and august. The only thing that stops them is spray-on Avon Skin So Soft. No standard repellents work for midges.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Found Dumfries and Galloway to be fine area,s but the be fair the borders is worth a visit in itself. Been to Pennan (Film set for Local Hero village/harbour scenes) spent a week there great area. Just one word of warning think carefully on how you intend to drive there,you won't enjoy driving it in a day !!

Disagree if you're talking about Dumfries, it's only half an hour from Carlisle. Matt, note that Carlisle is exactly half way between Brighton and Skye.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
31 years on this miserable turd of a planet and I've never visited SCOTLAND. Shameful, I know, but its something I'm deigning to put right this summer with a ROAD TRIP, accompanied by my lovely lady. So I'm looking to the received wisdom of NSC for your Scottish highlights & recommendations.

I want to see a LOCH, and I want to see the HIGHLANDS. Where is the best place for truly stunning views? How much can I expect to realistically get round in a week (give or take?) What's GLASGOW like? What are the cultural, natural and edible highlights of this once proud nation?

Thanks in advance, peeps x

Firstly it still is a proud nation, if your'e not taking the micky with that comment then here's my suggestion which can be done in a week. If you are capable of driving then fly into Glasgow, hire a car then my suggested route would be to head up the West Coast returning down the East Coast. Travelling up the West coast the first thing you'll find is Loch Lomond approx 35-40 miles from Glasgow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDee-mHMdwY Lovely hotels and B&B's scattered around there and quite possibly one of the worlds greatest sights.

Moving on, northwards head for For Fort William, with Ben Nevis in the background, quite stunning and just on the outskirts is the statue of The Royal Highlanders. I cant describe it but be rest assured you'll shed a tear reading the messages and what these men did for our freedom, simply beggars belief. For the record just before you get to Fort William, look out for the lone piper amongst the mountain roads, he's there every day..

Now from there you'll pass Glen Coe and enter into Loch Ness territory, it's quite amazing, it starts from a little bridge to the vast water Loch that is there. Again its up to you and your overnight agenda's but this is one place if you cant win a girls heart, then you never will. Do take the boat trip to see Nessie, we know the truth but the Yanks, Japs and even the Spanish hang on the captains word.

From there head to Inverness, beautiful place, lovely people and a great selection of bars and restaurants. Lots of B&B's, you'll fall in love with the place.

Heading south I recommend staying the night in Stirling for its castle, museums etc, again plenty of restaurants, bars, accommodation. Then head to Edinburgh, don't think I need to go into this really.

Then head back to Glasgow, if you haven't done it at the front end of your holiday then try to take the time to visit its many restaurants, bars and for the lady a great selection of shops, some of the best in Europe.

Now I'm going to be annoyed with myself letting this nugget out but if you have time left, drive to Addrossan just North of Ayr and take the ferry to Brodick Bay on the Isle of Arran. Seriously, if you can do it you'll see the Deer on the mountains amongst the other wild animals and beautiful scenery. Takes approx 2 1/2 hours to drive round the island. I love it so much, its where I want to be laid to rest when my numbers up.

Hope that helps, there's so much more but a week is nowhere near enough

Regards

Jimbo

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Think you are somewhat deluded on that.

Glasgow has all the history of Scotland, has the very best of Victorian Architecture in the UK and is the centre for culture in Scotland, eg Scottish Ballet, Scottish Opera and most importantly the Scottish National Orchestra.

Glasgow is within 20 miles of Loch Lomond around which point the Highlands begin.

Don't post something you know F--- All about.

...or... having worked there for probably the best part of 15 years on and off........

Firstly it still is a proud nation, if your'e not taking the micky with that comment then here's my suggestion which can be done in a week. If you are capable of driving then fly into Glasgow, hire a car then my suggested route would be to head up the West Coast returning down the East Coast. Travelling up the West coast the first thing you'll find is Loch Lomond approx 35-40 miles from Glasgow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDee-mHMdwY Lovely hotels and B&B's scattered around there and quite possibly one of the worlds greatest sights.

Moving on, northwards head for For Fort William, with Ben Nevis in the background, quite stunning and just on the outskirts is the statue of The Royal Highlanders. I cant describe it but be rest assured you'll shed a tear reading the messages and what these men did for our freedom, simply beggars belief. For the record just before you get to Fort William, look out for the lone piper amongst the mountain roads, he's there every day..

Now from there you'll pass Glen Coe and enter into Loch Ness territory, it's quite amazing, it starts from a little bridge to the vast water Loch that is there. Again its up to you and your overnight agenda's but this is one place if you cant win a girls heart, then you never will. Do take the boat trip to see Nessie, we know the truth but the Yanks, Japs and even the Spanish hang on the captains word.

From there head to Inverness, beautiful place, lovely people and a great selection of bars and restaurants. Lots of B&B's, you'll fall in love with the place.

Heading south I recommend staying the night in Stirling for its castle, museums etc, again plenty of restaurants, bars, accommodation. Then head to Edinburgh, don't think I need to go into this really.

Then head back to Glasgow, if you haven't done it at the front end of your holiday then try to take the time to visit its many restaurants, bars and for the lady a great selection of shops, some of the best in Europe.

Now I'm going to be annoyed with myself letting this nugget out but if you have time left, drive to Addrossan just North of Ayr and take the ferry to Brodick Bay on the Isle of Arran. Seriously, if you can do it you'll see the Deer on the mountains amongst the other wild animals and beautiful scenery. Takes approx 2 1/2 hours to drive round the island. I love it so much, its where I want to be laid to rest when my numbers up.

Hope that helps, there's so much more but a week is nowhere near enough

Regards

Jimbo

Jimbo, long shot but did you ever go to Glenn Affric, i think its a couple of Glenns North of Loch Ness.

We went in April and walked up the Valley past Dog Falls and then further up to the viewing point.

What we saw there took the breath away, you were looking at a Valley with Pines either side of an enormous loch, and right in the distance was SNOW covered peaks of huge mountains. I swear that will live with me forever, it was like looking at a postcard from Canada.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I went to Lochinvar for a week once which was pretty nice, lots of hills to climb nearby and a loch :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fly to Aberdeen. There's whiskey trails and castle trails and ancient stone circles and utterly deserted beaches and basically once you get out of Aberdeen itself its like another planet.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have friends who live on the black isle: about 30mins north of inverness, and I love the area. Wonderful place to get a bit of piece and quiet and relax.

Edinburgh - lovely city, fond memories of Edinburgh festival on a couple of occasions.
West coast - nice - visited and stayed on Mull.
Ullapool - lovely little place wish we had stayed longer than one night.
Skye and Plockton, nice.
Deuchars beer, very nice.
Wick, Thurso, John'o'Groats - dumps - avoid.
Day trip (or longer) to Orkney. OK you will probably have to go to John O'Groats to do this but I found the island fascinating with lots of prehistoric and more recent (Scapa Flow, etc) military history.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
There is just so much to see and most people have insufficient time to do so.

If you haven't been, Go at least once and you wont regret it !

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have got as close as 3 miles from the Scottish border, luckily I came to my senses and turned back.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
Fly to Inverness, hire a car and drive along Loch Ness, spectacular views.
Not to far is Glenn Affric, turn right at Drumnadrochit, you won't be disapointed if you want walks and views.

Have to agree.

I have a holiday place outside OBAN and I was stationed in Lossiemouth in a previous life

Basically the West and the isles is most scenic, tourist orientated, and wettest. The East is the driest. Many stunnng views but Glenn Garry and Loch Lomond are pretty cool but everywhere is cool.

If you have youngsters the Fort William to Maliag steam rail journey is good (goes over the 'Harry Potter' viaduct) but needs pre booking. Also the 'three isles tour' from Oban is great but the ferry to Staffa is not for the faint-hearted

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Central Glasgow is fine, some good shopping and galleries. Drive along the Clyde to Gourock (not much to see en route - Port Glasgow and Greenock is awful. Then take the Calmac or Western ferry over to Dunoon and into Argyllshire. Lovely area. Can drive south through Cowal or up towards Inverary and Loch Fyne.

Glen Coe is an inspiring drive through also!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here