Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCOTLAND - your recommendations?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
31 years on this miserable turd of a planet and I've never visited SCOTLAND. Shameful, I know, but its something I'm deigning to put right this summer with a ROAD TRIP, accompanied by my lovely lady. So I'm looking to the received wisdom of NSC for your Scottish highlights & recommendations.

I want to see a LOCH, and I want to see the HIGHLANDS. Where is the best place for truly stunning views? How much can I expect to realistically get round in a week (give or take?) What's GLASGOW like? What are the cultural, natural and edible highlights of this once proud nation?

Thanks in advance, peeps x

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Go to Skye, It's incredibly beautiful and the walking is challenging. Last time I stayed at Ben Tianavaig B & B, which was very reasonable and a short walk to lots of Fish restaurants and a great pub in Portree.

Don't try to do too much in a week, it's a surprisingly large place.

Really like Glasgow, it's a cool city.
I've gotta run now but pm me if you want any more details.

Fly to Inverness, hire a car and drive along Loch Ness, spectacular views.
Not to far is Glenn Affric, turn right at Drumnadrochit, you won't be disapointed if you want walks and views.

DO NOT go in summer unless you want to be eaten alive by midges, no joke, they actually have a midge forecast on telly.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Never do it justice in a week

The drive from Glasgow to Glen Coe (the gateway to the highlands) is stunning, as is the drive along Loch Ness from Fort William to Inverness. The east coast around Ely has some brilliant beaches and West coast around the Applecross peninsular makes for some exciting driving especially the Beallach na bah (highest road in the u.k). As for Glasgow great city just make sure you look up and take in some of the architecture, Edinburgh is a bit more refined (in most parts). Edible highlights you might try a deep fried mars bar if you can find a chippy doing one surprisingly good! Stovies and Scotch Pies are great just don't get them from Greggs, Haggis is must if you've not tried it before, Stornaway Black Pudding and seared West Coast Scallops yum yum!

Again feel free to P.M. me but there is so much to do and see but I'm happy to give you pointers as to what we've enjoyed for the last 12 years

Cheers

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Go to Skye, It's incredibly beautiful and the walking is challenging. Last time I stayed at Ben Tianavaig B & B, which was very reasonable and a short walk to lots of Fish restaurants and a great pub in Portree.

Don't try to do too much in a week, it's a surprisingly large place.

Really like Glasgow, it's a cool city.
I've gotta run now but pm me if you want any more details.

GLASGOW??? Its a craphole,.. full of 'wegie neds,... Perthshire and Edinburgh... great places.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
GLASGOW??? Its a craphole,.. full of 'wegie neds,... Perthshire and Edinburgh... great places.

Think you are somewhat deluded on that.

Glasgow has all the history of Scotland, has the very best of Victorian Architecture in the UK and is the centre for culture in Scotland, eg Scottish Ballet, Scottish Opera and most importantly the Scottish National Orchestra.

Glasgow is within 20 miles of Loch Lomond around which point the Highlands begin.

Don't post something you know F--- All about.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow

Well if it's going to get personal Edinburgh's just as full of schemies and pompous east coast twats that finish every sentence with "you know like"

Glasgow has it's down side as does every city(including Brighton) but a CRAPHOLE it aint!

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Think you are somewhat deluded on that.

Glasgow has all the history of Scotland, has the very best of Victorian Architecture in the UK and is the centre for culture in Scotland, eg Scottish Ballet, Scottish Opera and most importantly the Scottish National Orchestra.

Glasgow is within 20 miles of Loch Lomond around which point the Highlands begin.

Don't post something you know F--- All about.

THIS as well!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Dunnotar castle :
dunnottar-top.jpg

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
For OP Mattbackhome

Despite what has been posted on here I reiterate, as in my PM to you, I will be happy to advise you on the highlights because Scotland, whilst being almost two thirds of the land mass of England, is worth a visit because, apart from the wonderful scenery it has the amazing reality that, by comparison with the rest of the UK (possible Wales is similar), there are far fewer cars/vehicles on the road so driving is pleasant other than obviously the major cities/centres.

Some places are off the beaten track so depends how much time you have, one week, two weeks/ four weeks not enough !

Last edited:

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
There's bugger all to see or do north of Inverness until you get to Orkney.

Such sweeping statements........ What about Ulapool and Wester Ross, Wick and the Old Pulteney Distillery, A remote part of Scotland yes, but still plenty to see and do

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
There's bugger all to see or do north of Inverness until you get to Orkney.

Orkney and Shetland are something very different but, having lived in Inverness, I agree that the East coast, above Inverness is perhaps dissappointing after you get beyond Dornoch. You cannot see much from the road, although there are spectacular cliffs hundreds of feet high if you wish to stop and investigate. But that is talking about the road up the north side only but the West and North West Coasts and the Islands are truly fantastic with the most magnificent scenery imaginable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here