Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotland in the rain - advice needed from outdoor types!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi all,

I'm off to Scotland on Tuesday, with three nights in a B&B in Portree and three in Fort William, with a nights camping (probably in Torridon) in between. Stopping over at Carlisle on the way. Now, whenever I've been to the Lake District or Scotland before, I've been very fortunate and generally had fantastic weather - enjoying views like this (any excuse to show some of my photos!):
lakes1.jpg

lakes2.jpg
Now the weather forecast for Scotland for the next two weeks, is rain, rain and yet more rain, so I'm a little concerned that all I will see will be akin to the picture below. Now, firstly, should I be concerned that beautiful walks in the mountains are not going to be possible and secondly, what else can we do? I'm going with a mate by the way.
cloud.jpg

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
If there are any Albion fans based in portree I will definitely buy them a pint! Don't thing portree's very handy for Stirling though is it?!

Scotland is only a wee place... so a quick hike to Stirling shouldn't be a problem, should it? :laugh:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They built a wall to keep us out. Take the hint.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Er, no, the Romans built a wall to keep them out!

Long time since I did history. Anyway there's nothing in Scotland that can't bettered in England/Wales.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
There is NOTHING to do in Fort William if the weather is crap, other than drink.

There's a distillery there, but they decided they couldn't be bothered running the advertised tour when we went. There's a rubbish exhibition of stones and rocks just outside the town, and a flight of locks on the canal that's billed as a "tourist attraction", and that's pretty much your lot.

If the weather is good, on the other hand, there's some SUPERB walking to be had.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is NOTHING to do in Fort William if the weather is crap, other than drink.

There's a distillery there, but they decided they couldn't be bothered running the advertised tour when went. There's a rubbish exhibition of stones and rocks just outside the town, and a flight of locks on the canal that's billed as a "tourist attraction", and that's pretty much your lot.

If the weather is good, on the other hand, there's some SUPERB walking to be had.
Pub it is then!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
From what I can remember from 1st year geography at Varndean , is that Loch Torridon has well above average rainfall and the hillsides are covered with roche moutonees as it was carved out by a glacier during the Ice Age and the rocky debris left behind resemble sheep. Our geography teacher , Mr Grey , was from Scunthorpe and had a weird accent which we soon found out was northern and not the correct way for us 11 year olds to speak like as he spoke with incorrect vowel pronunciation.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
whilst on skye try to get to neist point lighthouse , the furthest westerly point you wont regret it

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Male or female friend?

If male, PUB.
If female, ;)

Unless your bent, then visa versa.:thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
this whole threads a load of bollox, the bloke states he's been to Scotland and has the photos to prove it but he still cant work out the weather scenarios :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here