Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scolari to make statement at 17.30 - SCOLARI WITHDRAWS FROM ENGLAND JOB RACE

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lord Bracknell said:
When Alf Ramsey retired he was given a lump sum of £5,000 and a £25 a week pension.

So, translate for me, how much would that be worth now?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wanderer said:

Quite a bit if invested wisely.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Withdean Wanderer said:
What staggers me was the statistic in the paper of England managers records - Hoddle has the hightest percentage of wins since Ramsay!!

Well, now you mention it... Would have him back in a heartbeat...

Sure many would argue, but reckon the England job's probably the best one for him...

But anyway. I acknowledge I'm biased.
Would like to see him go abroad, win a few titles and maybe European trophies with Monaco, and come back a reborn hero...

Wanderer said:
Ramsey stepped down as England manager in 1974.

In 2006 money, his £5,000 lump sum and £25 a week pension would be about £35,000 and £176 a week.

Those were the days when people weren't in football for the money.

Big Phil has said all along his bottom line is that he didn't want to take the job while he was still managing Portugal. He clearly is an honourable man and doesn't want to Portugal to think he has a conflict of interests.

Surely the FA have f***ed up here? Why appoint the job now rather then in the days following the World Cup? Clearly anyone decent was already going to be in a big international job already so the conflict of interest situation was always a danger.

It may now have cost the FA the outstanding candidate for the job!

Scottish, Welsh and Irish football fans celebrating tonight! :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Oh, and of course the tabloid football press are twats but I think all they have done is bring home the reality of the situation to Big Phil, it is the FA not the press that have created that "f*** up" reality.

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Lord Bracknell said:
Ramsey stepped down as England manager in 1974.

In 2006 money, his £5,000 lump sum and £25 a week pension would be about £35,000 and £176 a week.

Those were the days when people weren't in football for the money.

True...

There are many factors in Bobby Moore's later (too-short)-life which shame English football...
... The fact he felt compelled briefly to take a post as 'Sports Editor' of the 'Sunday Sport' is one of them...
He was treated abysmally, especially considering how many times that famous footage of him lifting the World Cup is hawked and exploited. Very sad.

Last edited:

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Why is it when you go onto the BBC website and access the audio report on this, the accompnying text says that Scolari turned the job down due to his family receiving death threats? The actual report from the BBC's correspondant doesn't mention it at all. Very, very strange........

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Report: Death threats force Scolari to decline offer
Portugal manager Luiz Felipe Scolari turns the chance to manage England due to death threats sent to his family.

BBC Football correspondent Jonathan Legard reports.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Death threats from who? Portuguese fans? England fans against another foreign manager? Brazilian fans?

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Just found this buried in the middle of a BBC Sport report....

But BBC Radio Five Live's football correspondent Jonathan Legard said the principal reason for Scolari apparently withdrawing his candidacy was because his family had received death threats, although the Brazilian made no reference to this at the news conference.

Legard said the threats were believed to have originated in Portugal, where Scolari is currently the coach of the national football team.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
dcseagull said:
Report: Death threats force Scolari to decline offer
Portugal manager Luiz Felipe Scolari turns the chance to manage England due to death threats sent to his family.

BBC Football correspondent Jonathan Legard reports.

Posted on the BBC 'Have Your Say' sadboy forum, no doubt, or somesuch more obscure-r...

Oh, waiter? Several barrels-full of salt, if you would...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here