Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

school bans face veil mum

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Do people really try to sneak into parents eveings disguised as muslim women then?

I don't know, I've not been to one for 10 years :shrug:

There are two ways to look at this.

One is that it's a bit unnecessary to ban her because of her clothes. You wouldn't ban some chav mum in a bright pink flannel tracksuit so why ban someone in traditional muslim dress.

The other is that rules are rules and her Burkha is inadvertantly breaking rules so why can't she take it off. Plenty of muslim wear a Hajib which aloows you to see their face.

Either one is a perfectly acceptable opinion, I suppose it just depends on your viewpoint.
Personally I find it interesting that people rush to the defence of womens right to wear the Burkha, but ignore the underlying mistreatment of women by many muslim men. To me the Burkha symbolises this, if she took it off her husband would probably beat her for it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The veil is just so alien to our culture, i find it sinister looking and as has been said , its a "visible statement of seperateness and difference" , i would ban it , and i believe denmark is actually looking into this , anyone who believes women wearing the veil can play a full part in our society is kidding themselves, when you go to saudi you cant drink and women have to cover up, and i have no sympathy for people who get caught and then bleat about the punishment,they want you to respect their rules ( muslims) and they should respect ours.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The veil is just so alien to our culture.

How true. Look at this pair of dirty foreignors undermining our great nation.

article-1049304-0442DF7A0000044D-498_468x363.jpg

Dandyman

In London village.
The veil is just so alien to our culture, i find it sinister looking and as has been said , its a "visible statement of seperateness and difference" , i would ban it , and i believe denmark is actually looking into this , anyone who believes women wearing the veil can play a full part in our society is kidding themselves, when you go to saudi you cant drink and women have to cover up, and i have no sympathy for people who get caught and then bleat about the punishment,they want you to respect their rules ( muslims) and they should respect ours.

So, would you ban nun's veils and the Hassidic women's wigs as well? I don't like the veil but it seems a greater evil to me for the state to dictate what law abiding tax paying people can or can not wear.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So, would you ban nun's veils and the Hassidic women's wigs as well? I don't like the veil but it seems a greater evil to me for the state to dictate what law abiding tax paying people can or can not wear.
you forgot to add the almost obligatory "hard working" description when mentioning muslims.No i wouldnt ban nuns veils they dont cover the face , and hasidic womens wigs aren't remotely similar.

Dandyman

In London village.
you forgot to add the almost obligatory "hard working" description when mentioning muslims.No i wouldnt ban nuns veils they dont cover the face , and hasidic womens wigs aren't remotely similar.

So, you would not object to Muslim women wearing something covering their hair as long as their face is showing?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So, you would not object to Muslim women wearing something covering their hair as long as their face is showing?
no i wouldnt, i thought that would've been clear when i spoke about the VEIL being alien to our culture, but i must admit i still find it looks pretty "seperate and different" when i see them clad head to toe in black with only their face showing , so have to say i'm not a massive fan of that look either .

Dandyman

In London village.
no i wouldnt, i thought that would've been clear when i spoke about the VEIL being alien to our culture, but i must admit i still find it looks pretty "seperate and different" when i see them clad head to toe in black with only their face showing , so have to say i'm not a massive fan of that look either .

Fine, just want to be clear precisely what the objection is to.

I don't really like any type of overt religous dress but I don't feel the need to ban it either.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Agree entirely. There's got to be give and take on both sides. We, as a secular multicultural society accept that some people want to wear veils and hide themselves but the veil wearers have to then understand that they might be refused entry to some places such as shops, schools, hospitals where there are very obvious security concerns.

It's not that big a deal to say to this woman that she could be met by a woman at the gates and meet the female teachers separately but that seeing the male teachers with a veil on is not possible. Then again, the school is entirely within it's rights to say no to any veil.

Isn't give and take what being a free country is all about after all?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fine, just want to be clear precisely what the objection is to.

I don't really like any type of overt religous dress but I don't feel the need to ban it either.
how about ,say , a crown court judge , a chief constable , train guard , in fact any public facing occupation, would you stipulate that the face cannot be covered by a veil in these occupations ?

Dandyman

In London village.
how about ,say , a crown court judge , a chief constable , train guard , in fact any public facing occupation, would you stipulate that the face cannot be covered by a veil in these occupations ?

I think it is entirely fair to say that a job holder must be able to properly carry out their duties (DDA adjustments not withstanding) and equally fair to say that the public should be able to see who they are dealing with.

The women in this case was a service user rather than provider however and while I would not dismiss the security concerns out of hand I can't help wondering how manufactured the whole issue is. Very few muslim women (certainly none that I work with) cover their face and few cover their hair. It seems to me very easy to work up a tabloid hysteria about an issue that is in truth fairly rare and just seems to contribute to a campaign to obscure a disasterous foreign policy behind a smokescreen of the "enemy within".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here