Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scary times ahead...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Indeed - I never seen so many countries so desperate to catch an alleged rapist. Normally in this country the police barely have the time of day to investigate rape as it's so complicated yet with thread bare evidence they're happy to pursue this man even if it means a diplomatic row.

Very very good point.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Really? The Irish have been at it for centuries, in one form or another.

The failure of the British Government was being too soft with them during the last century.

Unfortunately, the creator of a lot of terrorist groups (including to a large extent the IRA) is down to the USA, that there is no getting away from. However, when you look at recently released "secret" soviet era information about Korea etc., there really was a "greater enemy" to be worried about. Now things have changed, we have been left with the legacy that needs to be eradicated.

It is a bit like British and US support of General De Gaulle during WW2, created a legacy of anti-British and US feelings, after the common enemy of Nazi Germany was dealt with.
dont agree at all, the reasoning behind this in my book is..............................................the french are just wankers :lolol:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The allies that wouldnt extradite escaped IRA terrorists, that wouldnt block NORAID fundraising ( which went to PIRA) and feted gerry adams, those closest allies ?

Yes, allies with their own priorities. As I said above, the US were a main backer of the IRA. We can all understand why with their massive Irish immigrant population, but it does not make it right.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Really? The Irish have been at it for centuries, in one form or another.

The failure of the British Government was being too soft with them during the last century.

Unfortunately, the creator of a lot of terrorist groups (including to a large extent the IRA) is down to the USA, that there is no getting away from. However, when you look at recently released "secret" soviet era information about Korea etc., there really was a "greater enemy" to be worried about. Now things have changed, we have been left with the legacy that needs to be eradicated.

It is a bit like British and US support of General De Gaulle during WW2, created a legacy of anti-British and US feelings, after the common enemy of Nazi Germany was dealt with.

"The failure of the British Government was being to soft with them during the last century"

Oh really like the black and tans were softies eh!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But doesn't strike you as suspicious that so many countries have spent,and continue to spend, a vast amount of resources on getting an alleged rapist ? There's more to this and without wishing to sound like [MENTION=2850]brunswick[/MENTION] our government, the EU, the Swedes and the US are all complicit in something that potentially stinks.

hmm. the EU have zero involvment and the US have not brought any charges. the whole incident is driven by Assange's paranoia and personal agenda. an allegation has been made in Sweden, they have to follow it up; an extradiction request has been made to the UK, they have to follow it up. todays nonsence is diplomatic brinkmanship. if he was serious, he'd have slipped out the back doot last week and today holed up and right now being making his way to a small airfield to leave the country to Ecuador. Instead im predicting a large grandstanding exit from the front door this afternoon.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
2 women have said he raped them and they evidence to back it up, that does not mean Assange is guilty but it means he has to be questioned and Sweden have the legal right to get him back into the their country so they can question him properly.
He was released on bail which friends and supporters put up for him, he then broke the conditions and they lost their money, there must be a reason he is refusing to go back to Sweden to face these charges. As far as Ecuador offering to let the Swedish Police in to their country to question him, I bet they won't let them take him home if they feel they do have enough to charge him.
This is a legal case about those 2 women and they should have the right to have the case properly investigated.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Ecuador grants him asylum, they are concerned his legal rights have been damaged. Ecuador is a country that locks up journalists without trial if they report the wrong thing, what about their legal rights?
I still have a feeling Assange will not get to Ecuador, I don't think the UK government will allow him to leave the country unless it's on a plane back to Sweden.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Ecuador grants him asylum, they are concerned his legal rights have been damaged. Ecuador is a country that locks up journalists without trial if they report the wrong thing, what about their legal rights?
I still have a feeling Assange will not get to Ecuador, I don't think the UK government will allow him to leave the country unless it's on a plane back to Sweden.

Your right, the Police have just stormed the Ecuadorian embassy. Says so on twitter!!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Your right, the Police have just stormed the Ecuadorian embassy. Says so on twitter!!

Whaaat???.... amazing if true, but I am sceptical.... seems a bit drastic so soon.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I know what will happen next.... that Argentinian president will start sabre rattling in support, Latin american support without a thread of justification.... its a rape case, in a country with an exemplary record on human rights and legal and political independence......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here