Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scam??

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Advice required.

One of the lads at work received a cheque for £2,800 in the post this morning, made payable to him. The envelope has his name, work address and mobile phone number (!) on it, all precisely correct. The sender has written her name on the reverse of the envelope.

It's a company cheque from a firm who (having looked on the Companies House website) appear to be a well-established plc based in Hemel Hempstead. (We are in the process of trying to get their phone number).

However, he has no idea why anyone would want to send him the best part of three grand and the name on the back of the envelope means nothing to him. The strangest part of it is that there are Nigerian stamps on the envelope, and it's clearly been date-stamped en route to the UK.

What do you reckon? Could someone get hold of his account details if he banked it? I know there are e-mail and internet based scams like this where you get told you've won the lottery of whatever, but has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They could get details of his bank account, yes. Possibly not enough to get cash out of it. But this definately sounds like a scam

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really do not think there is anything anyone can do with your bank details other than GIVE you money.

Cash the cheque. It'll probably bounce...

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
This should probably be added to the "to good to be true" file. Nobody sends out checks for 3 grand for no good reason.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They can try to guess your signature and set up a direct debit mandate. Then again, if they're in Nigeria, that isn't easy/possible.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Surely even a shady place like that will make you wait to see if a twentyeight hundred quid cheque bounces? Its a lot of cash....

But yes, thats a possible one. I'd bring it to the *really* scummy one on Dame Street here in Dublin meself

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If he banks it the bank will (due to the size of the cheque) probably report it to NCIS (Nat Criminal Int Service) as the are obliged to do so who may be after him for money laundering if its found to be a problem.

I would say the best bet is to ring the police first (on the non emergency number) and if they confirm it is legit - have it

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Unless UK rules are way tougher than here, they would not be allowed contact NCIS on 2800 quid. Its 15,000 EUR here. What if you've just sold a car second hand? No CGT to pay on it as you made a loss. Totally legit, cheque could be a few grand.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't do anything with that cheque until I'd figured out who the hell sent it any why. Don't be tempted to think you can outsmart the potential scammers, nothing good can come of it. It might be legit, but the chances are much higher that it a scam of some description. If it's from a company in Hemel Hempstead why was it sent via Nigeria?
Call the police and leave it well alone unless they say it's okay to cash it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cash converters or some cheque clearing place where they charge a fat fee is your best option.

I expect they may well smell a rat as well.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
hand it to the police. it is a scam and if it is money laundering then not only could you get arrested for it. but the scamsters also have your name and address, and will come looking for it, if it is cashed. people dont give that type of cash away, and it is not a mistake or they wouldn't of had the name and address right.

Lush

Mods' Pet
graz126 said:
hand it to the police. it is a scam and if it is money laundering then not only could you get arrested for it. but the scamsters also have your name and address, and will come looking for it, if it is cashed. people dont give that type of cash away, and it is not a mistake or they wouldn't of had the name and address right.

This sounds like VERY GOOD ADVICE IMHO

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i think everyone here is being a little too honest. someone has sent you a cheque, so bank it. there's nothing wrong with that. you're not money laundering (how?) and there's no danger to you in terms of people finding out your account details....why should there be? if in due course a letter arrives asking for the money back as it was a mistake, which it might well be but who knows, then is the time to ask what to do.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i'd add of course that if you suspect wrongdoing, you'd better inform the police. it's unlikely that they'll be very interested for such a small amount, anything less than 15,000 euros is small fry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'd bank it quick smart.

:skint:

And when the heavies turn up asking you to accompany the to the bank to draw out THEIR cash, whattya gonna do :ohmy:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
And when the heavies turn up asking you to accompany the to the bank to draw out THEIR cash, whattya gonna do :ohmy:

Smash seven shades of shit out of them.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here