Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saturday Euro Games

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That half evidenced a slight annoyance that I have with the way the offside rule works. Gosens goal was ruled out as Gnabry was in an offside position when he attempted to play the ball, but missed it. Fair enough, he was interfering with play. Ronaldo was in an offside position when Jota was picked out by Silva. He and Jota both run at the German keeper and when Jota passes to Ronaldo, it goes backwards and he's not offside. It seems obvious that Ronaldo is interfering with play when the ball is played to Jota as the defender can't cover both of them. However, the offside rule doesn't take this into account.

Thanks for posting. I was perplexed about that one too. Was wondering if there was a rule that I've missed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never write off the Chormans

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gary Neville’s contrasting of England and Germany is damning.

The Germans pass it about on one crowded side, then switch it to the space down the other and score. Lightning quick wing backs. Pace everywhere.

Compare and contrast - Rice, R.James, Shaw, Kane.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Disgusting performance by the Germans and Portuguese…don’t they know that you must play slow tippy tippy shite around the back 4 and not cross the half way line to be the greatest team in the world!

Appalling effort.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think Portugal are a little overrated based on having a load of decent attacking players but not necessarily the right balance across the team.

Sounds a bit familiar, really…

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At present rate of performances, Italy are absolutely walking this tournament.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Why cant England play like the Germans, not just in this tournament. We are supposed to be related in being of Anglo Saxon origin.

Just a joke, I know both nations have players from different ethnic backgrounds.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Moder is starting for Poland.

:thumbsup:

Does this mean that by the end of the game Arsenal fans tv will be over him like a rash too? :rolleyes:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why cant England play like the Germans, not just in this tournament. We are supposed to be related in being of Anglo Saxon origin.

Just a joke, I know both nations have players from different ethnic backgrounds.

But they have absolutely no sense of humour.
Seriously though, we have and have had very good players in all posistions, we play in probably the best league in the world alongside some of the best players in the world yet we very rarely play anywhere near teams like France, Germany, Italy and Spain, they are so consistant too.
I have only seen 2 squads that played at that level and that was 1990 and 1996.
Apart from that we nearly always fail to fulfil our potential when it matters.
I partly blame it on our childish tabloid press and media that heap so much expectation on the team but then crucify them when they don't win, attitude plays a part too.
Its really frustrating.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously though, we have and have had very good players in all posistions, we play in probably the best league in the world alongside some of the best players in the world yet we very rarely play anywhere near teams like France, Germany, Italy and Spain, they are so consistant too.
I partly blame it on our childish tabloid press and media that heap so much expectation on the team but then crucify them when they don't win, attitude plays a part too.
Its really frustrating.

I blame it on Southgate, the clueless, Palace, FA-facefitting, tactically naive TWUNT.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Its really frustrating.
I think you are over analysing it. We haven't got world class players like Germany, France, Italy, Spain......Ronaldo was on the losing side tonight....yet he is world class and at 37 would walk into the England team. Who have we got that would replace any player in the teams mentioned? Kane? Sterling? I Think even our best players would only warm the bench atm. Things may change of course but while we have a manager who doesn't seem to play to our players strengths.....well we are miles off. Hope I am eating my words soon.....very soon.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Spain v Poland game is such good experience for Moder. If he can acquit himself well, he won't be fazed by any team or any player in the Premier League.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's the Spain vs Sweden game all over again so far, lots of Spanish possession and corners etc, but no end product.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here