Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saturday Euro Games

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
There are some world class English players in the PL when they play for their club sides with pace, guile, imagination and courage.

But when Southgate gets hold of them all that flair is suppressed in favour of dour, timid, safety-first snooze-ball that creates a team significantly less that the sum of its parts.

That’s quite some achievement.

England players over the years have often struggled with the weight of the shirt, I think due to a combination of our lack of recent success, a series of high-profile failures and a generally poor relationship with the media.

You can’t overlook the fact that we had a kind path to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup played a part in us getting so far, but the other thing that helped massively was that Southgate did a great job of establishing a brilliant relationship with the media going into the tournament - the best I can ever remember with the England set-up. That, coupled with the fact that there seemed to be little to no expectation seemed to help the players play with greater ease, freedom and confidence.

Because of how well we did at the last tournament and the undoubtedly talented squad we have at our disposal the expectation is quite rightly higher this time around. I’m not sure the fact it was Scotland rather than a similar low ranked team helped us - that performance was one that reeked of feeling the pressure (albeit credit has to go to Scotland for how they handled the occasion themselves).

That’s the biggest thing for me, much more so than tactics (which I’m not necessarily defending as perfect either). Ultimately, it’s still Southgate’s problem to solve - how do you remove the shackles and enable the players to play to their full ability with the weight of the nation’s expectation bearing down on them?

I don’t have the answer by the way, but I’m not a sports psychologist.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are some world class English players in the PL when they play for their club sides with pace, guile, imagination and courage.

But when Southgate gets hold of them all that flair is suppressed in favour of dour, timid, safety-first snooze-ball that creates a team significantly less that the sum of its parts.

Devil's advocate sticking his neck out here (not necessarily my view - just postulating an idea) - perhaps they are good playing in teams with superstars from all over the world, but when it's just other English players around them .............................

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Devil's advocate sticking his neck out here (not necessarily my view - just postulating an idea) - perhaps they are good playing in teams with superstars from all over the world, but when it's just other English players around them .............................

I fully agree with that theory too. Kane looks lost without Son for example, although to be fair they have had a number of years to build their understanding and partnership. Not a luxury a player is afforded in an Interntaional set-up. And I'm sure Foden prefers to be sparkling amongst Man City's fermament of glittering talent, as opposed to Declan Rice and Tyrone bloody Mings.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Agree, but it’s not just Southgate.

Same problem we’ve had in all my lifetime watching England. We’ve had some good, great and not so great managers. Whoever’s in charge aside from a few games, our top players can’t consistently replicate their club form in an England shirt.

That said despite our gloom we’re not knocked out the Euros yet. 4pts, haven’t conceded a goal, should be in the last 16 and haven’t played well yet.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Agree, but it’s not just Southgate.

Same problem we’ve had in all my lifetime watching England. We’ve had some good, great and not so great managers. Whoever’s in charge aside from a few games, our top players can’t consistently replicate their club form in an England shirt.

That said despite our gloom we’re not knocked out the Euros yet. 4pts, haven’t conceded a goal, should be in the last 16 and haven’t played well yet.

Indeed

Remember Italy not winning a game in the 1st group stages at the 82WC

Then went on to win it

Plenty of twists & turns to come I'm sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here