Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
2006 was when the last foreign manager was relegated - that was Dario Gradi of Crewe Alexandra (we went down the same year, but who cares about that).

It was 2010 when a foreign manager was last promoted.

Is Dario Gradi a "foreign" manager?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Is Dario Gradi a "foreign" manager?

gradi also grew up in england and played and managed his whole career here

Born in Milan, certainly counts as foreign born - would need to go back even further to find a fully foreign manager relegated though - and im not sure there is another one.

EDIT - 1999 was the last TRULY foreign manager to be relegated from the Championship/Division One - it was Benny Lennartsson with Bristol City.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Would be an interesting appointment. I always thought Bloom might pull off a surprise move.

Could be a really exciting option. Yes, he's a risk but so are all these British managers that certain people talk about. Every manager is a risk. He played over here for much of his career so I have faith that he would be a great option. On the other hand, he could be another that jumps to bookies favourite and then drops again a few days later.

Whatever happens, if he's chosen we should all support him and trust Bloom. For all the moaning that happens on here, he's got his two managerial choices right so far (whatever anyone might say OG was a success this season).

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
and kevtherev. He only wants British.

Nope your wrong there. True he doesn't tick the boxes I would like to see ticked. But I think it would be a very exciting appointment. I think we would see the floodgates open with players coming in. Rather have him then some names mentioned on here. Good background with Liverpool playing the right way and the Bundesliga is certainly a competitive league.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bayer Leverkusen obviously didn't think much of him - so why should we have/want him?

Are you comparing the team that has finished in the Bundesliga in 4th, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th in the last 5 seasons, consistent Champions League contenders with us? Really??? So basically no dismissed manager would be suitable in your mind? Does this apply to players a club no longer wants as well, Stoke didn't want Upson, why would we want him!?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nope your wrong there. True he doesn't tick the boxes I would like to see ticked. But I think it would be a very exciting appointment. I think we would see the floodgates open with players coming in. Rather have him then some names mentioned on here. Good background with Liverpool playing the right way and the Bundesliga is certainly a competitive league.

A very fair evaluation. I agree. Far more exciting than most of the candidates we've been linked with!

Oct 25, 2003
nationality of managers is completely irrelevant

there would need to be a roughly 50-50 split between british and non-british for the comparison to have any meaning

for example....how many Chilean managers had won the Premier League before last season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wasting my time. If our next manager is Sami Hyypia then I'll back him 100% and I'll leave it there.

I would say your post was a complete waste of time. Obviously most teams who go up will have a British manager (as has been said earlier). If you look at the ratio of overseas to British managers and then say that both the last two seasons have seen two foreign managers in the top six, then it changes the complexion a bit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On a serious note, given that an announcement today looks unlikely, why would anyone be against Hyypia? It would be a fantastic appointment, so good I feel silly getting my hopes up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here