Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce...legend

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Pretty football? I didn't see any pretty football from Brighton.

I saw lots of passing it across the back and one shot on target from a half chance.

Similarly, I don't see any long ball football from West Ham - I see percentages football. Totally different concept.

So you didn't see any big hoof balls up to your lone striker John Carew, you know the one - turning circle of a barge but built like a brick shithouse. I'm glad I was in west upper, not sure my neck would have coped with all that long ball rubbish you played, any you DID play long ball whenever you had the ball anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's still the academy of football, only these days the curriculum consists of just the bare minimum to pass the exams. In the long term they teach you nothing.

I know whose lectures I'd rather attend.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
All the WHU fans I talk to are already thoroughly fed up with his style of hoof-ball.

MRWHU

Oct 25, 2011
So you didn't see any big hoof balls up to your lone striker John Carew, you know the one - turning circle of a barge but built like a brick shithouse. I'm glad I was in west upper, not sure my neck would have coped with all that long ball rubbish you played, any you DID play long ball whenever you had the ball anyway.

Ok, if you say so.

I want to see West Ham playing pass and move football as much as any other supporter. I'm not a fan of Allardyce but accept we needed him in the short term to sort the club out and instil a more professional attitude.

I've watched every game this season. They do manage to mix up their style and I genuinely haven't seen a great deal of what I would call long ball football.

I've seen lots of dull percentages football. Against Brighton we didn't even want the ball as it threatened the shape and they guessed Brighton didn't have the creativity to break it down. And that's how it turned out.

The week after we played much better football against Leceister (and beat them too natch) and then couldn't create anything against Bristol.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bit random having West Ham supporters on here having a dig. Palace I can understand, but West Ham......why?

Chin Strain

Oct 21, 2011
On the bus
Ok, if you say so.

I want to see West Ham playing pass and move football as much as any other supporter. I'm not a fan of Allardyce but accept we needed him in the short term to sort the club out and instil a more professional attitude.

I've watched every game this season. They do manage to mix up their style and I genuinely haven't seen a great deal of what I would call long ball football.

I've seen lots of dull percentages football. Against Brighton we didn't even want the ball as it threatened the shape and they guessed Brighton didn't have the creativity to break it down. And that's how it turned out.

The week after we played much better football against Leceister (and beat them too natch) and then couldn't create anything against Bristol.
I have to say, I wasn't impressed at all with the style at SMS. Considering the massive outlay in wages, it's not a very good use of money. Carew is better than 'hoof it up to him and get a knock down'. You don't carve out a lengthy career in Spain if you can't play a bit. My understanding of most WHU fans is what you've said above in bold. However, a few dodgy results could get the natives restless.

For me Big Sam is a dinosaur.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bit touchy about being the Stoke of The Championship - that's all.
When you think of their heritage, I can understand the reluctance to embrace route 1 football......its a means to an ends though I guess.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
David Gold also said that they didn't sack Avram Grant last season as they thought he was going to resign! Which he didn't. And they didn't. And they got relegated. Nice, strong leadership there!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Hmm..2646 posts must like our pretty football then...i was totally disappointed by hammers when they came down to the amex...we gave them there goal on a plate...and have to say that they didn't look that hot...having said that they are second ....big squad..big budget ..big headed manager...hey ho

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Sam Allardyce is a joke and has been for years.

My favourite bit of delusion that spilled from his dull void mind is as follows

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter or Real Madrid," Allardyce said. "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time. Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time."

:facepalm:

Chin Strain

Oct 21, 2011
On the bus
Sam Allardyce is a joke and has been for years.

My favourite bit of delusion that spilled from his dull void mind is as follows

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter or Real Madrid," Allardyce said. "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time. Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time."

:facepalm:

:lol:

MRWHU

Oct 25, 2011
Bit random having West Ham supporters on here having a dig. Palace I can understand, but West Ham......why?

Just talking football - not looking to have a dig. I registered here after being curious about what Brighton fans were saying after our game and flick back every now and then as it shows up on my internet history.

Probably a bit of jealousy in there too in that you're looking to play the way we want our team to. I thought you were really poor against though after thinking we'd come away with a defeat but I've seen that happen to West Ham so many times over the years it's ridiculous.

I"m not sure teams now can have one style. They have to be flexible and adapt to the opposition.

Taking it to extremes. Man Utd can knock people about when they have to and Arsenal only have one style. That's the difference.

I hope Brighton do well

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
West Ham chairman David Gold was on talksport yesterday. He quoted

Take note Gustavo :glare:

It's quite a shame really as i've always admired west ham and their style of play. Known for passing it around,then you go and employ the Hoof Master. Now i'm not saying that is wrong because if that gets you back in the prem then good luck to you. Like I said i remember when you played football the right way.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Just talking football - not looking to have a dig. I registered here after being curious about what Brighton fans were saying after our game and flick back every now and then as it shows up on my internet history.

Probably a bit of jealousy in there too in that you're looking to play the way we want our team to. I thought you were really poor against though after thinking we'd come away with a defeat but I've seen that happen to West Ham so many times over the years it's ridiculous.

I"m not sure teams now can have one style. They have to be flexible and adapt to the opposition.

Taking it to extremes. Man Utd can knock people about when they have to and Arsenal only have one style. That's the difference.

I hope Brighton do well

West Ham did a job on us that game ,a draw would have been a fair result ,we are struggling at the moment up front although defence has tightened up recent games .Sam Allardyce calls them long passes and a lot of goals are scored by them winning second balls ,West Ham did play some decent football at times but did not do much with their other chances ,but their game plan was to stay compact ,hit us on the brake . It seems that gus is trying to play a patient type of game and playing on the deck which last season showed that it can be done in the lower leagues what ever standard of players in the team ,seems like the final ball is a problem for us and set plays , although we have got new attacking players
we miss Bennet and what he could do but playing teams like West Ham is where we want to be ,now we have a decent stadium exciting times for the club and fans we can learn and improve the next 2 to 3 years is going to be really interesting to see what happens ,and it looks like look West Ham will go staight back up unless they have a dramatic loss of form .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here