Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing trial approved from January...

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Laughable response if we’re honest. In the North Stand, where we all STAND together, there’s no up and down, we just stand which is terribly simple really, and here’s the real kicker, nobody minds standing because we all know that’s how it’s going to be. I appreciate that grizzly old farts like yourself don’t like it which is fine because you wouldn’t have to stand, you can carry on sitting in silence, presumably perched in one of the upper tiers contributing approximately **** all to the atmosphere.
As and when the day arrives when I feel I don’t want to stand anymore I’ll move stands, but until that day arrives I’ll continue to stand, and if they introduce further safe standing around us then even better.

Think you're missing the point there - IF they introduce a safe standing area at the Amex it won't be further safe standing around you, they will be THE standing fans.

I can see the powers that be being a lot stricter regarding standing in seated areas if these areas come into play, otherwise what's the point.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
:lolol: can you for one moment imagine the killjoy crew signing off on safe standing at the Amex after some of the daft safety measures already introduced, the very thought of allowing fans to go to a football match and have a good time would give them a nervous breakdown.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Think you're missing the point there - IF they introduce a safe standing area at the Amex it won't be further safe standing around you, they will be THE standing fans.

I can see the powers that be being a lot stricter regarding standing in seated areas if these areas come into play, otherwise what's the point.

Forgive me, I’m not sure I understand what your point is?
Where I’m positioned in the North Stand we’re permitted to stand, we have been since day one as was the arrangement. I presume should safe standing be introduced we would still be standing just with the addition of the rails, plus rails further down to allow fans nearer the front the stand. I would anticipate the North Stand being the only area where it works be permitted.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Forgive me, I’m not sure I understand what your point is?
Where I’m positioned in the North Stand we’re permitted to stand, we have been since day one as was the arrangement. I presume should safe standing be introduced we would still be standing just with the addition of the rails, plus rails further down to allow fans nearer the front the stand. I would anticipate the North Stand being the only area where it works be permitted.

Sorry, clearly my misunderstanding, as I didn't realise there were legally permitted pitch side standing areas at The Amex!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Standing has always been safe. Pretty well established that neither Hillsborough or Heysel disasters had anything to do with standing up.

While I think the trial is good I'm not quite sure what they are hoping to achieve. Yes, stadiums overall in top football (not just England) has gone more quiet since UEFA banned standing in their competitions back in 98 (?) but I believe that has more to do with changes in society than whether people sit or stand.

You're sort of right in that standing up per se was not the route-cause of those disasters but more that a free-for-all stand-where-you-like arrangement that allowed people to move around in the stand [not withstanding too many people were let in].

If this safe standing means you stand where your designated row/seat number on your ticket state, then that might not be what people are looking for.
But if it allows you to sit/stand where you like and numbers into each block/area are limited to space - everyone gets their two-square-feet of floor area type allocation - that should prevent the surge/squash issues.

Can't imagine it will allow for free roam within the entire area of the stand?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It wouldn't be the central blocks because the blocks to the side of that section wouldn't be able to see. If they introduced it, they aren't going to put it where it affects the sight lines of those either side.

Yes you're right, agreed. At Celtic they have taken a big corner wedge for safe standing and it works great. Loud singing every match.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Folks not with an official disability, maybe tired old knees or similar, where do they fit in? Stay at home?

Oh for goodness sake, to clear this up once and for all...THEY WOULD NOT MAKE THE WHOLE GROUND SAFE STANDING ONLY ONE OR TWO SECTIONS!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes you're right, agreed. At Celtic they have taken a big corner wedge for safe standing and it works great. Loud singing every match.

Except for the fans with tickets in the safe standing areas bullied by the Green Brigade and thrown out for their mates who only have 'seated' tickets

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Oh for goodness sake, to clear this up once and for all...THEY WOULD NOT MAKE THE WHOLE GROUND SAFE STANDING ONLY ONE OR TWO SECTIONS!

But presumably enforce seating in all other spaces, including those where folks have been standing up to now.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

This is why the survey about safe standing came back with a negative result... old geezers on the top deck of the East Stand imagining that they would be made to stand...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
But presumably enforce seating in all other spaces, including those where folks have been standing up to now.

Yes absolutely; if you want to stand then you buy a ticket for a rail seat in that particular block. If you want to sit then you have the right not to have some numpty standing in front of you.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Except for the fans with tickets in the safe standing areas bullied by the Green Brigade and thrown out for their mates who only have 'seated' tickets

You are obviously referring to the unsubstantiated claims made by Cheshire Police Chief Mark Roberts (an outspoken opponent of safe standing) on a Talk Sport show which have been discredited as he has not been able to supply any evidence for his claim. Note that he covers Cheshire, not Glasgow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are obviously referring to the unsubstantiated claims made by Cheshire Police Chief Mark Roberts (an outspoken opponent of safe standing) on a Talk Sport show which have been discredited as he has not been able to supply any evidence for his claim. Note that he covers Cheshire, not Glasgow.

How many times have Celtic had to close the safe standing area since it opened? Quite a few isn't it?

Also it is fan mentality. I've seen it many times at England and Brighton away games, I saw it at the Euros with England fans (proper ones) tailgating into the lower tier to be with their mates because they've been split up between upper tier / lower tier.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
How many times have Celtic had to close the safe standing area since it opened? Quite a few isn't it?

Also it is fan mentality. I've seen it many times at England and Brighton away games, I saw it at the Euros with England fans (proper ones) tailgating into the lower tier to be with their mates because they've been split up between upper tier / lower tier.

Well a quick google tells me that Celtic closed the area once in 2017 for 2 matches for "unsafe behaviour". This was regarding flares, etc. I can't see any reports of further problems.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Safe standing running in Germany for decades and it all works fine no problems.

As set out above the Amex has been operating standing areas without the safety rails in the north and south stands since it opened- no problems.

It would be fine - eg most of, or the whole of the North Stand could be made safe standing just to formalise the existing arrangement.

But it would cost the club money and I can’t see them doing it unless there is strong demand from fans. Maybe they will in a few years time if lots of other clubs do and it is seen as a success.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Safe standing running in Germany for decades and it all works fine no problems.

As set out above the Amex has been operating standing areas without the safety rails in the north and south stands since it opened- no problems.

It would be fine - eg most of, or the whole of the North Stand could be made safe standing just to formalise the existing arrangement.

But it would cost the club money and I can’t see them doing it unless there is strong demand from fans. Maybe they will in a few years time if lots of other clubs do and it is seen as a success.

Can you clarify, is this an informal arrangement or "officially sanctioned"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here