Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing trial approved from January...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’ve always thought the ability of people to move around and therefore for ‘singers’ to congregate is more important than just the act of standing up. If the different pockets of singers in the North could be together, that would make the biggest difference to atmosphere at the Amex for example, and sure that’s true in other grounds. So not too sure this will make much difference

Thats the thing isn't it. Even if they converted the North Stand to safe-standing, it doesn't mean people can move around and congregate like back in the days of terraces. You're still buying a ticket / season ticket for a particular spot, in front of your rail seat.

Unless they change that aspect and let you mince around wherever you want within the safe-standing stand...I'm out.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Haven't read all this, I trust once the safe standing areas are up and running, the enforcement of being seated will be more vigorous in the other areas.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I think you meant 'some people like to stand at football. Self evidently, at the Amex, 000's don't. Regardless, when the guy in front of me in West Lower stands up at the slightest opportunity, the sky darkens and and I can't see whether I stand or sit. I've missed a couple of goals already this season due to his inability to wait till the ball goes in the net before he stands up.

Of course 000's don't; they wouldn't make the whole flippin' ground safe-standing! Just specified zones where those who want to stand can re-locate to, e.g. a central chunk of the NS, and maybe a chunk of the SS.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t think they are concerned about you throwing a bottle top, rather a full bottle with the top still on. The theory being if you luzz one without a top the contents will empty and be much lighter when it lands!

Quite. With the obvious fallout if a sealed bottle tonked a player. There has been so much comedy posted about Barber and his mustard knitted bottle tops that the more semi detached NSC reader may find themselves not thinking it all through. The rest of us have been smuggling in a range of bottle tops every game, for years, and luzzing the empty bottles, sans caps, into the bins. :shrug:

As for safe standing I agree with those who regard it as silly and that a real change would be to allow people to stand where they like within the safe standing zone, like in the good old days. Fitting actual seats, and seat numbers, in the safe standing zone, is like including a ball and chain a ccTV and the sixth commandment, laminated, and sealed in a lanyard, in an 'Open Marriage'. FFS. :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People like to stand at football, calling people tvvats for doing so makes you look quite the bell tip to be honest.

People who like to stand up at football in 2021 are all puffed-up full of what they mistakenly believe are their god-given rights to do exactly what they want whenever they want and are happily oblivious to the fact that whenever they stand up it causes a ripple effect of about 50 or 100 people behind them to have to stand up also. It's ALWAYS some bolshy old bald bloke. Like I say, it's not 1980 anymore. And like I also say, they're tvvats

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven't read all this, I trust once the safe standing areas are up and running, the enforcement of being seated will be more vigorous in the other areas.

You trust wrong, I expect. But I share your wishes, as a West Upper older person. :thumbsup:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
People who like to stand up at football in 2021 are all puffed-up full of what they mistakenly believe are their god-given rights to do exactly what they want whenever they want and are happily oblivious to the fact that whenever they stand up it causes a ripple effect of about 50 or 100 people behind them to have to stand up also. It's ALWAYS some bolshy old bald bloke. Like I say, it's not 1980 anymore. And like I also say, they're tvvats

Which is the whole point of safe standing... those who want to stand can move their ticket to that zone and stand safely without annoying people behind, and hopefully generate more coordinated singing...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People who like to stand up at football in 2021 are all puffed-up full of their rights and happily oblivious to the fact that whenever they stand up it causes a ripple effect of about 50 or 100 people behind them to have to stand up also. It's ALWAYS some bolshy old bald bloke. Like I say, it's not 1980 anymore. And like I also say, they're tvvats

If they do it in West Upper, I agree 100%. But what's the harm in a bear pit behind the goal? No seats, no barriers. Like a mosh pit. Why not? The punters may need to singe a legal waiver regarding their personal safety, perhaps, but that's a small price to pay for freedom, surely?

And das reich can train the Young Gov'nors in how to Pogo, goose step and correctly discriminate between footballers of different race. All under the watchful eye of CCTV. Winner.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If they do it in West Upper, I agree 100%. But what's the harm in a bear pit behind the goal? No seats, no barriers. Like a mosh pit. Why not? The punters may need to singe a legal waiver regarding their personal safety, perhaps, but that's a small price to pay for freedom, surely?

And das reich can train the Young Gov'nors in how to Pogo, goose step and correctly discriminate between footballers of different race. All under the watchful eye of CCTV. Winner.

Why not indeed. I'm all in favour of it and would happily singe up for it :thumbsup:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I haven't EVER watched a match sitting down in the North Stand. Literally, not one. Ever. Neither have many of you :)
It was part of the original deal we old BISA warriors negotiated before the stadium was actually finished. I remember Martin Perry saying 'Of course, the ruffians in the North Stand want to stand...maybe the back few rows...' We winked at each other, as I recall. No actual demarcation line was agreed, but I can certainly confirm, with great pleasure, that the standing zone has increased rather than decreased over the years - and a massive hats off to the club for going with it at a time when 'unofficial safe standing' was far more of a contested issue than it is now. And of course, it was Martin's 'ruffians' remark which gave the NSK their original scarves, etc .
So 'safe standing' is here already. Moving around without a seat behind you is the next bit.

While reminiscing about those formative days, I remember the late, great Roy Chuter and I making the case for real ale and then CEO Ken Brown telling me 'Football fans don't drink real ale, John'. A quick poll on here (70% or so as I recall) the trial was installed, it was gone by half time and the rest is history. According to CAMRA we are (or were) the single biggest outlet for real ale in the country on matchdays.
NSC did that.
Dare to struggle, dare to win.
Well done everyone. :)

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely astonishing to see people who want to stand (in a safe environment) labelled as twats.

Different people go to watch games.

Of course, some people might go to jump around, sing and get behind the team. They are happy to go in the place where the view isn't so good because their priority is making a racket.

Others prefer to sit in their seats and watch in silence with a perfect view from the halfway line.

It's all absolutely fine. In the same way some people prefer to sit at a gig, but there's always a Mosh Pit for those who want it.

Having the choice of standing and taking it up doesn't make you a ****. The **** is the one who has such a short sighted view of going to football being a 'one size fits all' event. Absolute nonsense, good trolling though.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course 000's don't; they wouldn't make the whole flippin' ground safe-standing! Just specified zones where those who want to stand can re-locate to, e.g. a central chunk of the NS, and maybe a chunk of the SS.

It wouldn't be the central blocks because the blocks to the side of that section wouldn't be able to see. If they introduced it, they aren't going to put it where it affects the sight lines of those either side.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The last five minutes in the south west corner, nearly everyone was stood up, I don’t recall sitting down.

Once one club introduces safe standing areas the rest will follow, and I’d prefer to stand to be honest.
I feel if I’m sat down watching a football match I should be either at home or I’m bored.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The last five minutes in the south west corner, nearly everyone was stood up, I don’t recall sitting down.

Once one club introduces safe standing the rest will follow, and I’d prefer to stand to be honest.
I feel if I’m sat down watching a football match I should be either at home or I’m bored.

Folks not with an official disability, maybe tired old knees or similar, where do they fit in? Stay at home?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Folks not with an official disability, maybe tired old knees or similar, where do they fit in? Stay at home?

Nope, not at all, I said I’d prefer to stand, I was just offering my opinion and preferred option.
Don’t look for something that was not there, (I omitted “areas”when writing “safe standing”, genuine mistake of mine)
Happy to sit and watch the Albion, respect the rules, stand up for intense moments and then plop back down as required, after another shot goes into the crowd.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Laughable response if we’re honest. In the North Stand, where we all STAND together, there’s no up and down, we just stand which is terribly simple really, and here’s the real kicker, nobody minds standing because we all know that’s how it’s going to be. I appreciate that grizzly old farts like yourself don’t like it which is fine because you wouldn’t have to stand, you can carry on sitting in silence, presumably perched in one of the upper tiers contributing approximately **** all to the atmosphere.
As and when the day arrives when I feel I don’t want to stand anymore I’ll move stands, but until that day arrives I’ll continue to stand, and if they introduce further safe standing around us then even better.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Laughable response if we’re honest. In the North Stand, where we all STAND together, there’s no up and down, we just stand which is terribly simple really, and here’s the real kicker, nobody minds standing because we all know that’s how it’s going to be. I appreciate that grizzly old farts like yourself don’t like it which is fine because you wouldn’t have to stand, you can carry on sitting in silence, presumably perched in one of the upper tiers contributing approximately **** all to the atmosphere.
As and when the day arrives when I feel I don’t want to stand anymore I’ll move stands, but until that day arrives I’ll continue to stand, and if they introduce further safe standing around us then even better.

Do you have any views on 'old farts' who might enjoy aways too, but maybe might prefer to enjoy the entertainment sedantery due to age or physical impairment?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Do you have any views on 'old farts' who might enjoy aways too, but maybe might prefer to enjoy the entertainment sedantery due to age or physical impairment?

Away games are a different beast ultimately. For home games you can choose where you sit/stand, so if you go in the NS and are annoyed by persistent standing then that’s pretty much your own fault. Away games seem to be a free for all, short of having a seat in the front row it’s difficult to manage so I can appreciate the frustration.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
On Saturday saw a little kid aged about nine or ten just in front of me in the North being ordered to sit down by stewards. Despite the little kid being about three feet tall and being stood on his seat to see the game due to the big bloke in the seat in front blocking out his entire view of the game that somebody presumably paid for the little guy to see.

Folks stand at corners and free kicks and moments of serious pressure anyways. If you feel the need to stay standing for action taking place at the other end of the ground then, face it, you're probably a bit of a tvvat. It's not 1980 anymore.

Safe standing in the 21st century just seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that largely doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe just go and watch Lewes? :shrug:

But, but, it's against my human rights to not allow me to stand when I want... etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here