Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saddam Hussein

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth Glover said:
The war has been justified and those that say it hasn't need to take the heads out of their arses.

Whatever Gareth. I'm far from convinced that the current mess was worth countless lives and billions of dollars, the increased threat of terror at home or the wrath of the international community.

As far as I'm concerned, you're being arrogant with crap comments like that. Stick to "hilariously" belittling women.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Bit of a moral dilema really...If he goes into exile or solitary imprisonment, like the Ayatollah or Napoleon did, he could well come back to bite us..if hes not dead at the end of all this, he could become a figurehead for arab resistance.

:shootself

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I did agree with the war but cannot agree that it has been justified following Saddams capture. He had to be ousted but the war will only become just when they do find WOMD.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Smart Mart said:
Bit of a moral dilema really...If he goes into exile or solitary imprisonment, like the Ayatollah or Napoleon did, he could well come back to bite us..if hes not dead at the end of all this, he could become a figurehead for arab resistance.

:shootself

I don't see that Mart. He's hated by most Arab leaders isn't he? God knows he's persecuted enough of them over the years. And he fought a long war with the Iranians so he's not exactly chummy with the rest of the muslim world either.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The war has been justified and if we did nothing to rid the world of tossers like Hussein and Binner Laden we may as well have let Germany ride roughshod over Europe and would be speaking German now. :censored:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
I don't see that Mart. He's hated by most Arab leaders isn't he? God knows he's persecuted enough of them over the years. And he fought a long war with the Iranians so he's not exactly chummy with the rest of the muslim world either.

Or Al-Quaeda

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Simster said:

I think even though he's pissed off most of his arab neighbours at some point most of them were quite happy that he was also having a major dig at the Americans, who they hate even more.

Theres a massive part of leftish/religous arab opinion that applauded what he was doing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth Glover said:
The war has been justified and if we did nothing to rid the world of tossers like Hussein and Binner Laden we may as well have let Germany ride roughshod over Europe and would be speaking German now. :censored:

So let's take your insinuation at face value that Saddam was about to try and take over the world, Nazi style. You'd need weapons of mass destruction to do that. Anybody got any proof? That's all some of us are asking for.

And for people like me, even that is not enough. The bottom line is that there was NO international mandate to invade Iraq. That is the way the rule of law works. You can't pick and choose which laws you are going to abide by. You can't pick and choose which maniac despots we're going to ged rid of.

Besdies, Saddam hadn't invaded a foreign country since the last war, when he was suitably dealt with, I suspect he didn't have the power to invade from 1991 onwards.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bottom line is " is the world a better place without him " , " are the Iraqi people better off without him ", yes, yes, war justified end of.

larus

Simster said:
So let's take your insinuation at face value that Saddam was about to try and take over the world, Nazi style. You'd need weapons of mass destruction to do that. Anybody got any proof? That's all some of us are asking for.

And for people like me, even that is not enough. The bottom line is that there was NO international mandate to invade Iraq. That is the way the rule of law works. You can't pick and choose which laws you are going to abide by. You can't pick and choose which maniac despots we're going to ged rid of.

Besdies, Saddam hadn't invaded a foreign country since the last war, when he was suitably dealt with, I suspect he didn't have the power to invade from 1991 onwards.

Maybe there wasn't an international mandate. That's only because the international community does things mainly out of self-interest.

Lets face it, Iraq is better off without SH. The Iraqis are glad he's gone, and within a few months, their lives will be a lot better.

Too many countries think only of themselves, i.e. France. Look at them, there are laws passed in Europe and the blatantly break them and then create merry hell if someone else dares to do the same. Tossers.

I hate the French (as a nation, not individuals). Give me the Yanks any time.

Gareth Glover said:
The bottom line is " is the world a better place without him " , " are the Iraqi people better off without him ", yes, yes, war justified end of.

I have a feeling that if we focussed on the rest of the Arabic World we might find a couple more regimes that rule totally and mercilessly. They don't get quite so involved in dealings with the US apart from perhaps selling oil, so they are immune from the imperial eye .

As for Gareth's 'end of' - it won't be until Iraq has a safe democratic society that is not having to be iron-fisted with it's own people, and those people can speak and act freely.
If Chalabi is installed as their leader, it is a mockery of decency and justice - as he was rightly exiled as a crooked embezzler until now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gareth Glover said:

The world would be a better place without Mugabe and most Zimbabweans would love him to be deposed. "We" won't be doing that though.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth Glover said:

You're getting slaughtered on this one.

How much has this "justified war" cost the US/UK tax payer? I bet we could have replaced a dozen evil dictators with democracies for the price we paid to get rid of Saddam (replacing him with lawlessness and suicide bombers).

Justified my arse.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Saddam will probably be tried in Iraq, by Iraqis with international advisors present to oversee things. It is critically important that the whole process is transparent to the international community.
I thing it extremely unlikely that Saddam will escape the death penalty at the hands or his countrymen. While I generally object to the death penalty on principle, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this one.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
fatboy said:
I was reading an article in the Guardian this week and all executions in Texas(i think) have been suspended due to the lethal injection being inhumane.

Apparently it relaxes the muscles so signs of pain are not apparent, and the death is horrible.

One bloke was even strapped to his bed thingy when he was told he had a temporary pardon.

It would scare the shit out of me.

What do you suggest for SH then BH?

I have heard the same story. Aparently the drug they were using had already been banned for putting down animals in Texas, because it was considered to be cruel, but it was still being used for humans :eek:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Will Saddam Hussein get a lawyer?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Saddam's trial

You have missed something. Saddam had a trial at Elm Park (their home prior to the Madjeski Mausoleum). He defected when they refused to move the pitch 27 degrees to the east, to facilitate the kop end facing mecca.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Gareth Glover said:

Yes. You're right. The suicide and car bombs make it a much better place. Especially those that resulted in the Red Cross pulling out. Well done us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here