Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryanair - top ranting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When we went to that very same villa, we flew to Bologna from Gatwick and hammered down the motorway and came inland from Ancona. It only took about 3 hours amd was quite cheap, and I think that was with BA.

Will check it out. The other concern with BA, which I meant to mention above, is the risk of a strike totally scuppering all our plans. Less of a risk out of LGW though it seems.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I may well be wrong but isn't the whole point of Ryanair that this whole industry renegade, tough guy, we-treat-our-customers-and-staff-like-shit-and-don't-care act is basically a way a) to get loads of free publicity and b) to cover up the fact that the only way they make money is to have their airport fees illicitly subsidised by local authorities throughout Europe to bring tourists through their local underused airstrips?

Hence their blarney about needing to keep "costs" down whenever talking about not giving people sandwiches or whatever to cover up for the fact that, say, Hahn airport would be a derelict US airforce base unless the local authority in Germany basically paid them to fly there?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I fly Ryanair a lot. Not because I like them, but because they fly out of an airport I can walk to from my house in little over an hour (or reach by bus in 10 minutes). The alternative to get on EasyJet is a 90-minute train ride (plus getting to the station).

Yes, they are shit, but I'm prepared to put up with an hour of discomfort every now and again for that convenience. Provided you go in with your eyes open and don't go expecting champagne and caviar it's no great hardship.

At least they seem to have stopped that bloody fanfare lately.

And no, I have never bought a scratchcard.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I may well be wrong but isn't the whole point of Ryanair that this whole industry renegade, tough guy, we-treat-our-customers-and-staff-like-shit-and-don't-care act is basically a way a) to get loads of free publicity ...

Exactly. You can almost hear O' Leary creaming himself every time the Daily Mail runs those stories about paying to use the toilet or having to stand on the flight.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Exactly. You can almost hear O' Leary creaming himself every time the Daily Mail runs those stories about paying to use the toilet or having to stand on the flight.

And they DELIBERATELY run ads they know will get them in front of the ASA, because that in itself usually gets more publicity than the actual ad.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Ryanair are the most convenient for me too - both in terms of airport location and flight times.

In an ideal world, I would fly with somebody else but the plusses outweigh the minuses. Easyjet have cut back their services to Austria and can't compete prícewise and Air Berlin fly at stupid o'clock and via Paderborn.

I can't relate to the moans about the staff - the stewardesses are generally fine and often easy on the eye! We've flown back to Britain twice in the last six months with our baby and we have always been treated well by the staff.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've never actually flown Ryanair but have heard far too many horror stories to ever do so.

Whenever I have flown budget however it has been with Easyjet, who have to date never let me down. Yes their uniforms are lurid and you don't get oodles of space but their flights have always been on time, don't have all the hidden extra costs of Ryanair and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Mind you, the last time I booked a cheap flight I actually got on BA for cheaper than the prices quoted by both Easyjet and Ryanair. They sorted me out with free food and drink too, which was nice.

Next week I am off to Copenhagen with my friends at Easyjet. The return flight was just over £20 all in. It'd cost me more to get the train to London and back

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
When we went to that very same villa, we flew to Bologna from Gatwick and hammered down the motorway and came inland from Ancona. It only took about 3 hours amd was quite cheap, and I think that was with BA.

Different Villa for me, but it was the same area. BA to Bologna for a week last year in July was £265 pp I think.

Really is worth paying the difference.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You get what you pay for, simple as.

Monarch and Easyjet are as bad a RyanAir but try and dress it up a bit better.

If you are flying < 2 hours though then IMO just suck it up and deal with it......that said I only fly BA to our offices in Amsterdam and Madrid but then that isn't coming out of my pocket.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You get what you pay for. Three of us flew Gatwick to Shannon for £20 each return. Yes it was bundle to get sat together on the plane, yes the leg room was almost non-existant, yes the customer service was conspicuous by its absence, but for the price and only a 45 minute flight, who cares?

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I've flown with Ryan Air, it was for work so I didn't pay. Nothing great (short haul, London to Dublin and back). I have flown with far worse, I don't much care for Michael Ryan but I can easily say that Candian Budget Airline Air Transat are really crap. I've flown Delta a few times too and considering that they are not a budget airline they are really crap.

I love this board with it's diversity of opinions.

I don't have a problem with Air Transat and they're pretty good. They fly from Toronto to Gatwick direct, which for me is way more convenient than Heathrow, and the prices of flights tend to be a third cheaper than BA and Air Canada.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
:D I have no problem flying Ryaniar. Often for us it's just a choice between them and AerLingus and Ryanair comes out cheaper most times.

I also like Michael O'Leary, I like the way he hauls government ministers over the coals, exposes their lies and cover ups and takes no prisoners.

We are experts in travelling light now and can easily take a two week holiday with four pieces of hand luggage. It's all about planning.

Horses for courses I suppose but I always thoroughly check prices and go with the cheapest as I'd rather spend my money on enjoying the holiday than for extras on a flight or saving enough to squeeze in more trips in the year.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Cheaper? Really? This little chart below makes interesting reading.

Value Calculator - Ryanair | Easyjet | British Airways

Yes, it may have been produced by British Airways but the figures speak for themselves. Plenty of people on this forum taken great delight in bashing BA. Some appear to have personal agenda's or simply don't have a grasp of the full facts. The only thing that compares exactly with Ryanair & BA: They're both run by obnoxious Irishmen.

Ryanair are a scummy skanky outfit who treat passengers & staff like dirt. Complete false economy to fly with them. Even more so when the destination they claim to serve is some remote airfield in the middle of nowhere that requires a bus ride that is sometimes longer than the flight itself!

Oh I quite agree but I'm of an opinion that in a competitive environment if you don't like it don't buy it

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We went to Dublin last year, £15 return. Flight was clean and on time. for that price I couldn't give a shite about seat reservations or anything else.
Any I like o'Leary's quotes, ie "no-one ever hijacked a plane with a pair of f***ing nail clippers"

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I travel regularly to south-central France and always use eurostar. Even before Ryanair started adding the charges it was cheaper than paying the stansted express, airport taxes etc. Even being stuck twice because of the tunnel fire and the winter snow chaos i wouldn't think once about going on Ryanair. Since then Ryanair have abolished the route to where I go because no one uses it. Funny that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I love this board with it's diversity of opinions.

I don't have a problem with Air Transat and they're pretty good. They fly from Toronto to Gatwick direct, which for me is way more convenient than Heathrow, and the prices of flights tend to be a third cheaper than BA and Air Canada.

My flight with them was the worst I have ever had, never again. Was well and truly ripped off about overweight luggage too. Funny how when I came back through Pearson but flying with Thomas Cook I had no problems. Dreadful aircraft and worse than any charter flight I have ever been on. Incidentally one of my relatives went Air Canada last week to Toronto, why ? It was cheaper and he too thinks Transat are crap. None of my Canadian relatives who've flown with them would do so again.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
just flown ryanair out to malta....went air malta last time...flight from bournemouth, was easy...no hassle..got emergency exit seats as other half is mr tall giant...no prob with any of it. prob famous last words, as got the return to cope with! now..the luggage allowance and add ons are another hot topic altogether....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
This thread is laughable.

Strangely, Ryanair isn't always the cheapest option. If it isn't in your case, then don't sodding book to fly with them.

If it IS the cheapest option, then go for it and be aware that whilst its not ideal, it can be a way for getting to and from a European destination for as little as 20 quid.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
just flown ryanair out to malta....went air malta last time...flight from bournemouth, was easy...no hassle..got emergency exit seats as other half is mr tall giant...no prob with any of it. prob famous last words, as got the return to cope with! now..the luggage allowance and add ons are another hot topic altogether....

coughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

return to cope with...yeh, well after a 3 hr airport queue on fri, told tough shit, no we arent paying for your accomm, and you cant get back til this coming saturday!
hm..now why didnt we fly air malta....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry: :shootself :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here