Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley - whatever happened to him?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Twat, the guy is a great player if played where he made his rep, why buy him as an attacking m/f player then ask him to defend....... do a bit of research Muppet before spouting off.

ha ha

research? like being a season ticket holder and watching him in a division he can't cut it in? he was supposed to be a creative player, and when given the chance often needed an extra touch, an extra second to look up, and doesn't have the quickness of thought to open defences at this level. coupled with an appalling attitude and lack of balls.

and no need for twat / muppet comments. i'm entitled to my opinion.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Twat, the guy is a great player if played where he made his rep, why buy him as an attacking m/f player then ask him to defend....... do a bit of research Muppet before spouting off.

The only "twat" or "muppet" here is you! Firstly everyone is entitled to their opinion without being hurled insults and secondly if you think Harley has just been shite because he was being played out of position you clearly haven't been watching the same player as most of us on here!

Yoda

English & European
Harley is one of the few players I've ever taken an instant dislike too. That said I'd be happy for him to have a run in the team, if he ever looked like backing up his undoubted talent with actually giving a shit. There's a difference between a player like Murray looking laid-back and casual, and the pure laziness and baffling, arrogant swagger that Harley displays. It's frustrating because he showed glimpses of genuine quality, but I've never seen any professional footballer so unwilling to make a tackle in my life, it's like he actively avoids any kind of 50/50 - through indifference or cowardice, I don't know. I think he'd have to more or less change his entire game to fit into a Gus team - Gus has taken some perhaps more technically limited players with a great attitude (El-Abd, Navarro, Barnes) and turned them into key players, based more on what they bring to the team that necessarily setting the world alight on the ball. Harley has the ability, but appears to have no real interest in putting the shift in to see that talent pay dividends. Would love to be proved wrong but I can't invisage him ever making a big impact and I can't see his time here ending with anything other than a whimper.

Near enough sums it up for me too. I'd even go as far as to say Harley's team/defensive efforts made Paul Brooker look like ball winning midfielder.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ooooooooo..... I feel sooooo humbled....... or perhaps I don't.....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The only "twat" or "muppet" here is you! Firstly everyone is entitled to their opinion without being hurled insults and secondly if you think Harley has just been shite because he was being played out of position you clearly haven't been watching the same player as most of us on here!

Well, on the one or two times he has looked decent, it was when he was fit and playing very advanced, almost a striker.... that's where he made his name, that's why Swansea bought him..... and presumably why Gus picked him up..... I say again, why buy him and then ask him to spend most of the time in a withdrawn role...... square peg round hole.... he may be one dimensional but that doesn't mean he can't add value given time...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
How offensive - rude

I am just tired of the same old same old from a group on here when talking about Harley...... if his deficiency is down to control issues as has been suggested here, why do most of you still worship at the feet of he who is called Barnes?.... this guy has Sunday league standard ball control and passing skills.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
he was supposed to be a creative player,

He was a support striker/attacking midfielder..... that's why he scored so many at Exeter, and why Swansea picked him up...... for us he was asked to be a defensive/central mf man, he obviously felt a bit unfamiliar with that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I am just tired of the same old same old from a group on here when talking about Harley...... if his deficiency is down to control issues as has been suggested here, why do most of you still worship at the feet of he who is called Barnes?.... this guy has Sunday league standard ball control and passing skills.

As does CMS at times, if I'm being honest

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hope he gets another chance to prove himself.I think he can cut it at this level but a lot of it is about his own attitude.I remember he started very well against Burnley and had to be taken off when we went down to 9 men.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i am in two minds about Harley. I want him to succeed because i do think he has a lot to offer. But he does need to strap on a pair when it comes to challenging for the ball.

i think he just has a languid and laid back style of play that makes it look like he is lazy and doesn't give a shit - i can't believe that this is how he thinks.

shan't forget that free kick in a hurry whatever happens

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
...... for us he was asked to be a defensive/central mf man, he obviously felt a bit unfamiliar with that.

No he wasn't, he was played as a creative/attacking midfield player, but like all midfield players was asked to put in a 'shift' when he hasn't got the ball, which based on performance, he doesn't seem capable of.

In fairness to him, I think he may have picked up an injury early on after the Peterboro game, so pre-season will be important. Hope he can turn it around, but sadly he may struggle at this level.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
with respect mate, did you go to bristol city away? he was shocking, there was a time when the ball was 1 yard the brizzle player was 2 yards, he made no attempt to get it and then just stood still as there player ran with it. offers nothing defensively and seems to have a billy big time attitude problem, he's a liability

I went to that game and agree entirely.

Also and around the time of the Barnsley game there was a few punch ups on here about Harley so I thought I'd focus on him for that game and get a real perspective (as opposed to watching the game more generally). What I saw was a bloke who didn't seem to make any space at all to receive a ball and when he did get it he either gave it straight back or found the nearest player thus creating nothing.

Also when the oppo had the ball he was very good at being in the vicinity, so tracking all over the place after it, but never actually getting there it was really odd to witness ... like if you saw the game on Tele the bloke who'd be in the frame the most would have been Harley yet he hardly had the ball. His attempts at tackling would embarrass a 12 year old girl and one time he quite clearly bottled it when one of their 6' lumps was bearing down on him.

I've never slagged off a Brighton player, but if this joker is in contention I'm going to dubbin me boots and get off down the Amex and ask for a trial

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am convinced he wasn't fit during that period..... the Bcfc performance was odd granted, but he was cooking with gas until taken off in the Burnley debacle..... playing an advanced role of course. I am prepared to state that assuming he stays and does a pre season, he will play a bigger part, especially with 7 subs again.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

His deficiency is not just about control issues. Its about the fact that he doesn't seem to give a shit. He bottles tackles, ducks headers and offers very little.

Bringing Barnes into it has killed your argument for being played out of position. If any player has been played out of position this season, its Barnes and your reasoning that Harley looked appalling when played slightly out of position only confirms his attitude issues when compared to Barnes.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
he was cooking with gas until taken off in the Burnley debacle

In the argument about Harley that is raised consistently but it was only 10/15 minutes and it was against a side that looked poor when playing against 9 so in all fairness I think there has to be more to it than that.

Also there's stuff here about Swansea buying him, but he never played and it's also pure speculation that the only reason they flogged him was because of their promotion, he may never have played in their Championship side for all we know. He might have looked good at Exeter but it's a crap team in L1

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Ooooooooo..... I feel sooooo humbled....... or perhaps I don't.....

Well I think some of the views you've expressed are simply wrong. But that's your prerogative. But try not to be such a keyboard warrior. It's not a befitting of a middle aged man.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Just out of interest, how long is his contract ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well I think some of the views you've expressed are simply wrong. But that's your prerogative. But try not to be such a keyboard warrior. It's not a befitting of a middle aged man.

I shall remember my place from now on young man...... where is my sanatogen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here