Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley - whatever happened to him?

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Although considering all of his clubs, except us, have been in the West country/Wales I could see him ending up at somewhere like Bristol City

I believe this unlikely, seeing as he started his career there and was told to go find somewhere else to ply his trade.

Maybe Exeter, if he'd take the pay cut. I think they still love him there.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think Harley has been one of the signings that Gus would like to forget. 250k plus wages down the drain. If he works hard and gets back in the side and starts to put a few shifts in with his undoubted skill, then the signing might look differently, alas, I dont think Harley has it in him to work hard.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
still here.............came back early from loan at Rochdale.

It was Steve Cook. We were all surprised when he left prior as we had central defenders missing and Grant Hall had to play against Wrexham but Gus had an offer so let him go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was Steve Cook. We were all surprised when he left prior as we had central defenders missing and Grant Hall had to play against Wrexham but Gus had an offer so let him go.

Bournemouth offered us £350k for Cook, and he doubled his wages going there. It was very much a win-win deal.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think he has the ability to be a very good player for us but he also has an attitude on him.If he got his head down and gave his all for the team he would be fine but i have my doubts.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Well, as he is NOT out of contract, I'm pretty certain that he is not in a position to have done such a thing.

Just because he is in contract, it doesn't stop the clubs agreeing a fee for the player, and the player discussing personal terms.
My guess is Gus is waiting until the end of the season to start all his ins and outs, and Harley seems to be one of the 'outs'.

Shame, as he showed glimpses of exactly what we needed, but he just never looked liked settling in a fast paced, passing team.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Unfortunately he is a passenger in our team, needs to take a look at Ashley Barnes and how work ethic can secure you a 40 game season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Shame, as he showed glimpses of exactly what we needed, but he just never looked liked settling in a fast paced, passing team.

Actually, I think that is why he didn't fit in. We aren't a fast paced passing team, we're incredibly slow and measured. Not suited to Harley at all. Next season we'll be much faster paced with an influx of quality, and I think Harley will shine. If still here.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Actually, I think that is why he didn't fit in. We aren't a fast paced passing team, we're incredibly slow and measured. Not suited to Harley at all. Next season we'll be much faster paced with an influx of quality, and I think Harley will shine. If still here.

I don't think "fast paced" is a term that can be applied to Harley unless when avoiding making a tackle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Have to say the exact opposite. Harley NEVER looked up to the pace of the game. Was 2nd to every tackle (even ones where he had a big head start on his opponent), dallied on the ball constantly, gave it away after failing to pick passes, etc.

Don't get me wrong, very talented when strolling around at League 1 level. Not willing to put a Championship-sized shift in though, it would seem. Hope to be proven wrong.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In the last couple of cameos he made before entering the twighlight zone were much better, because he was playing to his strengths, as an attack minded midfielder or support striker, the trouble was that Gus expected him to defend as well, and as we saw, that isn't a strength of his.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Have to say the exact opposite. Harley NEVER looked up to the pace of the game. Was 2nd to every tackle (even ones where he had a big head start on his opponent), dallied on the ball constantly, gave it away after failing to pick passes, etc.

Don't get me wrong, very talented when strolling around at League 1 level. Not willing to put a Championship-sized shift in though, it would seem. Hope to be proven wrong.

Exactly this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here