Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Agreed.

Also, too many countries abstaining (especially from Africa). South Africa have got very close to the Russians. That’s very worrying seeing that we have a reasonably close relationship. I see Modi is slowly but surely trying to become a dictator in India too, leaning towards Russia makes a lot of sense for him as he orders his heavies to raid BBC offices.
Yes, India and South Africa are also the two that disappoint (if that's the word I want...) me most from that list.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
They normally don't even need a good reason to jail or assassinate people
In fact, a building over three storeys usually suffices.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They can also find an alternative view, no idea why anyone would not question Putin’s take on things when it‘s there for them to see.
They can. However, social media seems to be used by people when seeking confirmation of a pre existing view eg the quoting of Twitter posts in a NSC thread. The best it can offer is understanding of an alternate view but I doubt it changes much.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've watched quite a lot of that Chanel. And it amazes me how he has managed not to have been imprisoned. He does phrase his questions quite ambiguously, however. Technicalities don't usually keep people out of jail in Russia. They normally don't even need a good reason to jail or assassinate people
He's definitely treading a fine and risky line.

Here's a link to a good interview Daniil did from yahoo news that you might enjoy.

Daniil (1420) interview

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don't see how that is possible beyond a few million untrained soldiers armed only with 100 year old rifles and pitchforks, and breaking out the remaining stocks of WW2 tanks. :shrug:
That is to be honest a little naive to me, Putin has an endless supply of bodies to sacrifice, and why do you think he has been meeting the Chinese ?
Weapons and logistics, also he is slightly unhinged and desperate men, do desperate things, Putin does not care about innocent lives, his or other countries. He will shock the world, and is not scared of repercussions to him or his expendable Populus, he alleges he cares so much about.

Our only hope is internal power shift, or a massive uprising, which would be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'"The Russians were all carrying large metal boxes marked 'secret'," says Vladyslav from the 80th Brigade. "We seized one during an ambush. We found their maps marked with their entire route. After that we knew their whole strategy."

Enjoy the story of how Russia's 35-mile armoured convoy ended in failure:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That is to be honest a little naive to me, Putin has an endless supply of bodies to sacrifice, and why do you think he has been meeting the Chinese ?
Weapons and logistics, also he is slightly unhinged and desperate men, do desperate things, Putin does not care about innocent lives, his or other countries. He will shock the world, and is not scared of repercussions to him or his expendable Populus, he alleges he cares so much about.

Our only hope is internal power shift, or a massive uprising, which would be dealt with swiftly and harshly.
Putin wants to start a major world conflict and blame everyone else for it. Russia could end the war with Ukraine today or tomorrow if it wanted.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
'"The Russians were all carrying large metal boxes marked 'secret'," says Vladyslav from the 80th Brigade. "We seized one during an ambush. We found their maps marked with their entire route. After that we knew their whole strategy."

Enjoy the story of how Russia's 35-mile armoured convoy ended in failure:

Thanks for the link. I'd forgotten how close they got to Kyiv. Great bravery and resourcefulness from the Ukrainian citizens and military in those early days of the invasion.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There are many possible future scenarios for Russia. But the following one wasn't on my radar. This doesn't come from some Youtube channel. It comes from Steve Rosenberg, BBC Russia Editor.

We've heard murmurings of the conflict between the Wagner Group private army and the Russian MOD.

A Moscow newspaper editor believes 'Civil war is likely to cover Russia for the next decade'.

'
Instability plus private armies is a dangerous cocktail.
"Civil war is likely to cover Russia for the next decade," believes Konstantin Remchukov, owner and editor of Moscow-based newspaper Nezavisimaya Gazeta. "There are too many interest groups who understand that in these conditions there's a chance to redistribute wealth."

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

If ever you have any doubts about whether this fight is worth it, read this.

Powerful stuff - a harrowing read, but I urge everyone to take 10 minutes to look at it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Despite all the Zelenskyy back slapping the other week in London I see the fighter jets are now off the agenda. Sunak has bottled it.
Potentially. However, if I had to guess, I’d think that China have had a word with Rishi. Russia gets the weapons from China if we escalate the war anymore by providing game changing equipment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Despite all the Zelenskyy back slapping the other week in London I see the fighter jets are now off the agenda. Sunak has bottled it.
Eurofighters to Ukraine was never a serious contender, takes time to train the pilots, engineers for maintenace and there's no supply chain for parts. (whisper... there's also an issue around capabilities, why we're binning off a load in the first place). there is a possibility of sending them to Poland or others who'd pass MIGs on to Ukraine (solves the training and parts problems). those countries would probably rather have something from US catalogue (that capability issue).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here